A cutie from tonight.

HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
edited February 10, 2013 in People
This is Chayla. Wish all models/children listened as well as this child. Made my job much easier.

1. i-p54bcWJ-XL.jpg

2. i-j37StKT-XL.jpg

3. i-fq3SSLd-XL.jpg

4. i-JpK9pj3-XL.jpg

Comments

• EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2013
    For the guy with all the great comment on others work...

Lets see what I think of these.

#1. Looks like she's looking at someone off to your left. And hers legs kinda disappear. Otherwise, the best of the bunch.

#2. Looks too posed. Like not a natural pose, however very cute. Also her skin tones are kinda weird, like she was cold or something, but at least she doesnt look like porcelain. Which is good in my book.

#3. I think a lower camera position would have looked better. And theres a weird light spot next to her head on her right. Creases in the backdrop are distracting. And shes off looking at someone else again. But that is a good pose.

#4. Well I dont even know what to think here.

No hard feelings, your eye on others is fantastic. And I'm sure working with a young girl is not easy, and maybe even uncomfortable. And typically all the shots I see of kids are out in a field or such. So the studio stills are kinda cool.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2013
    I take all constructive criticism no problem.....how do you get to Carnegie Hall???????practice, practice practice (old musicians joke) holds true for photography.
    I'll debate with ya.....I do have glasses but it looks like she is looking at me. (might have to clean the glasses)

On dark bottoms you never want to have your subject just drop out of a photo rather to gradually fade out. Again this is an old rule and times are a changin!!

I see the wierd light spot.......sloppy retouching job.......twas getting late and I wanted to get these up tonight.....good catch, I'll fix it.

On the netting she just thought she was in Hollywood and cracked me up.....gotta do one they want.

Have a good night sleep all....off to Pittsburgh in the morning.
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2013
    Except for the forced expression in two, and the light spot in three, I think they're quite nice.

I don't see the "looking off" thing. Eye contact is spot on as far as I can tell. The big catch light in the blue eyes might be misleading looking at it from a distance.

Four does leave me scratching my head, but if they is payin ya and they want to try something...eh, who are we to judge!:D
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2013
    On my monitor something I noticed was how dark her teeth looked in comparison to the whites of her eyes, catchlights in her eyes, her clothing and background. It was distracting to me. Pretty girl, sounds like the type you hope come back again and again !
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2013
    Love #3 Hack. Lighting and processing is really nice in that one.

Care to share your post workflow on that shot?
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited February 10, 2013
    Raised black point and any needed adjustments to exposure and brightness and mid level slider in raw conversion.

Into photoshop with Portrature and erasing to taste then playing with highpass filter and soft light adjustment and then dodging to my likes or dislikes.
    edited February 10, 2013
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    On my monitor something I noticed was how dark her teeth looked in comparison to the whites of her eyes, catchlights in her eyes, her clothing and background. It was distracting to me. Pretty girl, sounds like the type you hope come back again and again !

Her teeth were discolored a tad and for some reason I had difficulty adjusting the PLM when it was overhead and not enough light getting under the brow and lips. Need to play more with the PLM.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Raised black point and any needed adjustments to exposure and brightness and mid level slider in raw conversion.

Into photoshop with Portrature and erasing to taste then playing with highpass filter and soft light adjustment and then dodging to my likes or dislikes.

Chuck,

About the High Pass filter... what do you typically set the pixels to?

I sometimes use the High Pass filter in Soft Light blending mode too. Just curious.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited February 10, 2013
    Generally 4 to 12, more to taste than anything else.