Options

Smugmug controling our sales?

nxk2000nxk2000 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited February 8, 2013 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I don't know what exactly to think today. A customer placed an order then a few hours later it was canceled. In the cancellation email from smugmug I get a lecture about needing to change what size prints I offer my customers. How I should only offer prints that match the aspect ratio of my photos. Why should I limit what I offer my customers? Isn't that what the crop feature during check out is for?

I sent my customer an email asking if there is anything I can do for him since he canceled his order. His reply shocked me. He said he messed up his order and smugmug was nice enough to point it out. Why is smugmug contacting my customer about their order because they selected a print size that didn't matched the photo?

I would think whatever size print a customer chooses it's for a reason. Most likely they have a frame to put a picture in. If a customer needs a 8x10 why would I force them into a 8x12 just because I leave my pictures in their original aspect ratio. I have proof delay on my orders so I can go back and make adjustments as needed. I take care of my customers why is smugmug trying to do if for me. What else is smugmug doing that we are not aware of?

Comments

• Options
    LindyLindy Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2013
    Hi,

We certainly will do some digging to find the order and the emails, and get all the details. We do not typically contact a customer out of the blue and suggest they order a different print size. Please keep an eye out for an answer tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience,
    Lindy
    Support Hero Manager
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2013
    Try to make this into an 8x10 - go ahead
    http://www.slapshotphotography.com/WichitaWarriors2012-2013/High-School/Team-Pictures/27613563_ZDtkH5#!i=2325400586&k=bfBqpv6&lb=1&s=XL

Gotta leave room for cropping. That's the simple answer today.
  • Options
    owilliamsowilliams Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2013
    Hi again Lonny,

Oliver here from SmugMug.

I must not have been clear enough in my email to you regarding this order. I am by no means trying to control your sales. We did not initiate the conversation with your customer, they contacted us first regarding some concerns that they had with the order. I am going to send you another email with more details about why this order was canceled.

-Oliver
    SmugMug Support
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    nxk2000nxk2000 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    Try to make this into an 8x10 - go ahead
    http://www.slapshotphotography.com/WichitaWarriors2012-2013/High-School/Team-Pictures/27613563_ZDtkH5#!i=2325400586&k=bfBqpv6&lb=1&s=XL

Gotta leave room for cropping. That's the simple answer today.

I can make it an 8x10 but do I really need to just to prove a point? That's why I have selected to proof my photos before print.

I'm almost positive in the past when there as been interaction with my customers and smugmug I have been included in the email. Most of the problems here could have been avoided if I was included in the loop. If it was a concern about a foot getting cut off a simple reply from me letting him know I can go back to the original image and crop it accordingly would have fix it.

I'm also still waiting for a smugmug pro order email for the second order. If the customer hadn't told me he placed a second order I still wouldn't know about it.