Options

A few shots with a few new modifiers. What do you guys think?

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited February 9, 2013 in People
I showed these off in the accessories forum in an old post. But I thought these would get more play over here about the photos.:D

Here are a few examples from this week using my new 86" Extreme Silver PLM combined with a 11" Longthrow reflector. What do you guys think?

1. Some action stopping with the Einsteins. PLM is directly left of subject. You can see that there is hardly any light spilling onto background. Similar shots with my 60" umbrella light this wall.
p1419896558-6.jpg

2. In close. With PLM directly left of the subject and Long throw diagonal and back right about 10ft away. Bare sb700 used as fill to camera right at 1/128
p1419896576-6.jpg

3 Lighting a bigger subject! PLM moved back about 15ft from subject. Slightly camera right. I was standing in the corner of it. Longthrow high to the left about 15-20ft away SB600 and 700 as little accent in the back of the bike. Still very little light spilling on background. Rod aimed right at her butt.
p1421709386-6.jpg

4 In close. PLM and Longthrow about 5ft away. Using 50mm @1.8 to soften things up. The center rod of the PLM aimed right at face. Ok someone tell me how to fix the loose eyelash. I have struggled to use warp and make it look right. Is there a better way?
p1419901596-6.jpg

Comments

• Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2013
    Lighting on the first 2 shots looks very good (a bit hot on the face in the first one, but I still like it). For fixing the loose eye lashes, how about just using the clone stamp rotated a few degrees and masking the eye lid so you don't mess it up. Or you could try the liquify tool, again masking the eye lid. But I suspect the clone stamp with rotation will work better.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2013
    I'm with Gotham. I'd use the liquify tool for fixing the eyelash. Should be pretty easy.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2013
    Liquify would probably do the job, but I'm thinking "puppet warp" might be an option as well. Set pins along the edge or her eyelid to fix it in place, then a pin out on the end of the loose part. Grab the pin on the loose part and drag it into place. Might be a bit cleaner possibly.

Lighting on the first two has been mentioned and I agree, +1. Also, on number 4, it seems like a bit too much light skin. My eye isn't drawn to any particular spot but wants to drift all over. More contrast and shadow to focus my eye on something. What is the intent. Where should I be looking? Turn it upside down and all I see is shoulder and forehead.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited February 8, 2013
    Looks pretty nice!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2013
    Thanks guys. Yes the hot spots in #1 are intentional and a byproduct of this type of hard lighting. If I turn it down a bit in PP it just loses its pop.

I am going to try liquefy and puppet warp to see what works best. I suck at photoshop. I'm a LR guy all the way. :)
    Yes #4 was also intentional. Bright and soft looking. Love lighting the ladies this way.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2013
    Nice lighting, that's what it's all about.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Nice lighting, that's what it's all about.

Gee, all this time I thought it was the Hokey Pokey.

And yes, really nice lighting and results in the first three. In number three, her underwear could have been a bit smaller ;)

Not a fan of four though. Like the concept, the mechanics need to be worked on in my opinon.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2013
    Bryce, what would you do to improve on this idea for 4? I have quite a few from this pose that she picked. But for some reason this is my fav. Just that eyelash. Tonight we do battle!
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2013
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Bryce, what would you do to improve on this idea for 4? I have quite a few from this pose that she picked. But for some reason this is my fav. Just that eyelash. Tonight we do battle!

I hope you'll pardon the image stealing and quick rework, if you want I'll delete it, but I thought this would be better than trying to describe.

Eyelash courtesy of 2 mins with the clone tool.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2013
    I like the crop. But I feel you lose the sexiness of the back here. Need to try a few strategies with these lashes! Anyone else feel free to try stuff. I love seeing other people's perspective on edits. Thank you Bryce for your time showing your example.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2013
    FWIW...

If you want to keep the back in the shot, consider putting a dark vignette on it so all that bright shoulder skin doesn't compete with the face.