Options

What Transmitters to buy

Coleman PhotographyColeman Photography Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
edited March 8, 2013 in Accessories
Hey guys, I am looking to get some transmitters/receivers to fire multiple flashes. I'm trying not to buy Pocket Wizards. They are just way to expensive. What is the cheaper route?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 8, 2013
    Assuming you're simply looking for cheap wireless triggers for manual flash (no TTL), I think the RF603 transceivers are a no-brainer. These are for Canon, but you can choose the Nikon version as well. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_4?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=rf603&sprefix=rf60%2Caps%2C308
  • Options
    Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2013
    I'm using Cactus V5's on my strobes but they will work on flashes too..

Cheers, Don
  • Options
    tebogantebogan Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2013
    I currently use a mixture of the Commlite T320 and H550 due to being able to fire off camera and the camera all with remotes. Nice price also.
    Photography is the art of making an image of what you see so others can see what you saw.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2013
    Love my Pixel Kings. They're not as robust as PW's, but they do work and are very affordable.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=224893&highlight=pixel+king
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 11, 2013
    Well, I'm glad we have a consensus here. lol3.gif
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 11, 2013
    Cactus V5 here also. I use them with a Nikon D700, a Nikon SB600 and a SB900
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    kdog wrote: »
    Well, I'm glad we have a consensus here. lol3.gif

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2013
    I'm diggin the Phottix Odins, now that I learned I can control the zoom of the flashes remotely.
  • Options
    HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2013
    Pocket wizards aren't cheap for sure. However that's what I've been using. For me, I looked at the industry and saw that there were so many professionals out there that seemed to always pull the PWs out of their bag. I had to assume that there was something there, some lessons they had learned over their years of shooting that kept driving so many pros to that particular brand. While they are expensive, I figured I'd rather not repeat all of the hard lessons they must have learned that lead them to going with the PW. Just one way to look at it.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2013
    Another vote for pixel kings. I use them both in studio to fire my alien bees and also outdoors on my Nikon speed lights using TTL and they haven't disappointed me yet.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    tebogantebogan Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2013
    this past w/e I used my Commlite T320 and H550 to take some 50 shots of vets at church using available light, and the studio strobe behind the wall to bounce light of the rear wall onto the stained glass window behind them. I used the transmitter in my hand to fire the H550 on camera to trigger the camera and the remote flash. Went great.wings.gif
    Photography is the art of making an image of what you see so others can see what you saw.
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2013
    I use RF603, and it gets the job done!
    No TTL, but I haven't used it much anyways.

bonus: serves as transciever/shutter release ;)
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.