Micah & Molly

Pyro1Pyro1 Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited February 11, 2013 in People
i-Hz3tQSm-XL.jpg

one from a senior portrait session I shot.

Comments

• YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2013
    My personal opinion, which sometimes is worth a couple of pennies, attempting to direct you to three points:
    1.- Very harsh sun, the eyes of the boy are fighting to stay open.
    2.- Almost impossible to solve w/o a diffuser or taking the subjects to some shadowed place, are the hot spot in his forehead and right chin.
    Of course, for that you will need some fill light.
    3.- The fence post on the right of the background is sort of distracting.
    To me, is a good picture, that can be made much better.
    I know the very experienced ones will chime to help.
    Good job,thumb.gif
    Carlos
  • GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2013
    I respectfully disagree with Carlos. I don't see any hotspots -- just ordinary shadowing. His eyes are squinty, but it doesn't appear that the sun is directly in them (he's pointing about 45 degrees to the sun, which some people can handle and some can't, perhaps he just has small eyes or this is a slightly squinty shot). I'm not sure what is distracting about a fence post. It's OOF in the background and part of the fence which in an intrinsic part of the photo (creates an interesting background and sets the photo in a "real" locale.). I'm sure Micah is very happy with the shot, and Molly probably is too, though she might not be able to express it in words.
  • Pyro1Pyro1 Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2013
    Thanks for all the pointers, they are very happy with the shot, yes the sun was killer, but it turned out to be better than I thought. Thanks again for all your info!
    Jeff
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2013
    I don't see any hot spots either. Carlos, it could be that your monitor needs calibration. I have two monitors at work and one is horrible when it comes to handling brightness/contrast. I think its a fine photo.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited February 10, 2013
    He was hard to shoot, not much of a smiler, the only time he looked somewhat comfortable was in this shot with his dog. Tough shoot all the way around, but the family was happy.
  • YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2013
    This is the main reason I feel extremely confident as a member of this forum.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion without trashing others, you don't see that anywhere else.
    Gotham, your comment is welcome.
    Thanks a lot Alex for pointing about the monitors, I'll check them early tomorrow.
    Most of all, Pyro1, I never intended to diminish your work quality, which I commented as a good job.thumb.gif
    Carlos
    edited February 10, 2013
    Yaflyyadie wrote: »
    This is the main reason I feel extremely confident as a member of this forum.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion without trashing others, you don't see that anywhere else.
    Gotham, your comment is welcome.
    Thanks a lot Alex for pointing about the monitors, I'll check them early tomorrow.
    Most of all, Pyro1, I never intended to diminish your work quality, which I commented as a good job.thumb.gif
    Carlos

Hey, it's all good here, I welcome all the comments and information I can get! I try and learn something from every shot I take & if I had this one to do over again, I would have shaded him from the sun and used more fill flash. But I learn each time my camera comes out of my bag, thanks again, if we can't help each other, who will?
  • cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2013
    Its a great shot that he will really enjoy in years to come - I wish that I had taken the time to shoot more with my dogs when I was younger.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.