Options

5D2 and 70-200 2.8 IS I or II

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited February 15, 2013 in Cameras
Morning Folks,
I have an opportunity to buy the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS I lens for a very good price (under $1300 shipped) Knowing the II version is around $1900 (used) is there that much of a difference in iq that I would notice in a 13 x 19'' print, taken with my 5D2 ? I'm not talking about pixel peeping on a monitor, but a real physical print that hangs on a wall. I have a hard time justifying the price difference for something that's newer, but not necessarily better. Thanks for looking :thumb
Have a good day :D
Jim...

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 10, 2013
    Jim, you will get lots of different opinions about this, but I own both lenses, and the vI was always thought to be a superlative piece of glass until the advent of v2.

If you do your part with the earlier vI, steady camera hold or tripod, fast or at least appropriate shutter speed for focal length, you can make lovely 16 x 24 prints with that lens. And I doubt one person in a hundred could tell which lens was used. I have dozens of 13x19 in prints from Tamron 28-300 and Tamron 200-500 lenses that are quite sharp, and no one has ever suggested I needed to use a better lens for the image.

Like you I tend t be a pragmatist, and know that most lenses failures are those of the cameraman, not the lens.

With the advent of Lens Profile corrections in Lightroom 4, and other software, even lenses like my Tamron travel zoom 28-300 can take quite nice images with appropriate choice of apertures and shutter speeds. I tend to shoot at less than wide open with my Tamron travel zoom, the the Canon version I 70-200 f2.8 IS L will do just fine at f2.8, and even better at f5.6.

Canon's 200mm f2.8 L prime is pretty darn fine as well, and is substantially cheaper if you just want 200mm.

This was shot with an original 5D, and a vI 70-200 f2.8 IS L at f3.5

Summer%20Solictice%20%20_MG_1279-XL.jpg

This is the same 5D, with the 70-200 vI at 125mm at f3.2

Blue%20moon%20horse%20%20_MG_1329-XL.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2013
    5D2 and 70-200 2.8 IS I or II
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Jim, you will get lots of different opinions about this, but I own both lenses, and the vI was always thought to be a superlative piece of glass until the advent of v2.

If you do your part with the earlier vI, steady camera hold or tripod, fast or at least appropriate shutter speed for focal length, you can make lovely 16 x 24 prints with that lens. And I doubt one person in a hundred could tell which lens was used. I have dozens of 13x19 in prints from Tamron 28-300 and Tamron 200-500 lenses that are quite sharp, and no one has ever suggested I needed to use a better lens for the image.

Like you I tend t be a pragmatist, and know that most lenses failures are those of the cameraman, not the lens.

With the advent of Lens Profile corrections in Lightroom 4, and other software, even lenses like my Tamron travel zoom 28-300 can take quite nice images with appropriate choice of apertures and shutter speeds. I tend to shoot at less than wide open with my Tamron travel zoom, the the Canon version I 70-200 f2.8 IS L will do just fine at f2.8, and even better at f5.6.

Canon's 200mm f2.8 L prime is pretty darn fine as well, and is substantially cheaper if you just want 200mm.

This was shot with an original 5D, and a vI 70-200 f2.8 IS L at f3.5

Summer%20Solictice%20%20_MG_1279-XL.jpg
    Good Afternoon Pathfinder,
    Thanks for your comments thumb.gif For $1275, I didn't think I could go wrong. 13'' x 19'' are usually my largest prints for both myself and clients, and if the iq difference is marginal at best, I'll save the $600, give or take, and put it towards something else. Nice detail on the horse. Thanks again.
    Jim...
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 10, 2013
    Those were shot at large aperture, here is one I found via Lightroom's filters, shot at f8 on a tripod with a 5DMKII , which of course, is even sharper.

tree_in_Yellowstone-0183-X2.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2013
    If you get a really good copy of the ver1 70-200 f/2.8 IS, I don't think that you'll be dissapointed in the sharpness one bit. I never have been. Another vote for the ver1 over ver2 is that ver1 has smoother bokeh. That's important to me as I usually shoot it wide open.

YMMV
    Randy
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2013
    rwells wrote: »
    If you get a really good copy of the ver1 70-200 f/2.8 IS, I don't think that you'll be dissapointed in the sharpness one bit. I never have been. Another vote for the ver1 over ver2 is that ver1 has smoother bokeh. That's important to me as I usually shoot it wide open.

YMMV
    Good Morning Randy,
    Thanks for your comments thumb.gif Unfortunately, the seller changed her mind so I'm looking at a 200 2.8 II for under $600. I have the 70-200 4.0 to cover the medium telephoto range anyway, but a 2.8 at the long end is something I'll probably be using a bit more of as spring and summer approach. Thanks again.
    Jim...
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2013
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    Good Morning Randy,
    Thanks for your comments thumb.gif Unfortunately, the seller changed her mind so I'm looking at a 200 2.8 II for under $600. I have the 70-200 4.0 to cover the medium telephoto range anyway, but a 2.8 at the long end is something I'll probably be using a bit more of as spring and summer approach. Thanks again.
    Jim...

the 200mm 2.8 is good, the zoom more versatile