Little advice please.

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited February 11, 2013 in People
OK... this our portrait for today. My wife is battling a really horrible case of conjunctivitis. She can't wear her contacts so she's been wearing her glasses. Decided to shoot with them on.

So couple of questions. First, her eyes were completely blood shot and her lower eyelids a bit quite swollen and puffy. Can you tell I cleaned it all up in post?

Second question. Check out the left edge of her face behind the lens of glasses. It's skewed due to refraction. I totally missed this. Didn't notice until I was working on the photo in post. Is it objectionable to you? Enough that I should try to correct it?

DSC_9467-Edit-Edit-X3.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2013
    OK... I just went ahead and corrected the refraction from the glasses.

DSC_9467-Edit-Edit-Edit-X3.jpg
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 10, 2013
    First of all, I'm no expert but one thing I've found when shooting someone wearing glasses is don't have the frame cut across the subjects eye. Your PP work looks good to me.
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2013
    I think it looks nice. There is nothing the screams retouched to me. However if you want to be hypercritical critical (which no one really doest that in real life), her left eye has no lower eyelashes and has what appears to be a blotch of dark eyeliner that she doesn't normally wear and isn't present on the other eye.But like I said, that is nit picking for the sake of nitpicking. Im looking at it full size on my 27 inch thunderbolt, and Ive had the benefit of seeing 20 days of photos of your wife's face. If this was a shot for a customer I think they would be really really pleased, even more so if their eyes had been a bit puffy and swollen.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2013
    I use to remove the lens when the subject had wire frames that made it possible. Now I ask them to pick up a similar pair from their optometrist with no lens in them.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2013
    Dean Collins would make the glare much worse if a person had glasses. He made a 4x8 scrim with rip-stop nylon and put it in front of the main to increase the area of the glare and it seemed to soften the glare.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2013
    looks great. love the scarf! I don't really notice any obvious artifacts from cleaning up her eyes. I would also double check her head when you get home today. It might be "refraction" as you you have stated...it might also be a large dent in her head. It's probably nothing but it doesn't hurt to just check right?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2013
    Very interesting point regarding the lense skew. I always wondered if there was a unwritten rule whether or not to position the subject in a way you don't get the effect or clean it everytime. Seeing its a natural look I probably wouldn't have thought twice to incorporate it in the clean up work flow.