Options

Lens / light.

dipphotodipphoto Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited February 12, 2013 in Accessories
This is a 2 part question.
1. What's a good beginner light set that will still produce a good job? I have always been a out door shooter or a studio but never a indoor on location shooter. I was looking at the Allen bee lights. But I did notice that they are only on for the flash and may get red eye off them.

2. A good lends for shooting indoor swimwear. With or with out lights. I have a few lens in mi d but I wanted to ask first.
Aaron Wilson
http://www.dipphoto.com
:D Advance thank you to you!!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,828 moderator
    edited February 11, 2013
    dipphoto wrote: »
    ... 1. What's a good beginner light set that will still produce a good job? I have always been a out door shooter or a studio but never a indoor on location shooter. I was looking at the Allen bee lights. But I did notice that they are only on for the flash and may get red eye off them. ...

I rather enjoy my Adorama Flashpoint monolights for traditional studio situations as well as home portraits and even outdoor wedding and event work (where there is access to mains power.) Specifically I have a pair of Flashpoint II Model 1820A monolights, which have 1800 watt-seconds of "effective" power output.

All electronic flash units have a relatively short flash duration, which can yield large pupils in the subject's eyes when used indoors in otherwise subdued ambient light. I prefer large pupils so I view this as a plus. If you get red-eye, you probably have the light too close to the lens axis, which isn't very pleasing light either. Used normally, I don't have any problems from red-eye. (By "normally" I mean the only flash close to the lens is typically for fill, but I use a pretty large modifier and I don't have problems with red-eye.)

i-pzrrJQ8.jpg

i-DZckTLD.jpg

i-DMmZVHR.jpg

i-kmFLMwb-X2.jpg

i-zH4ZXrR.jpg
    dipphoto wrote: »
    ... 2. A good lends for shooting indoor swimwear. With or with out lights. I have a few lens in mi d but I wanted to ask first.

This sounds like a portrait or catalog shoot? At any rate, for full length work I would suggest not shorter than a standard focal length lens of large aperture. That would mean a minimum around 50mm for a FF/FX body or 35mm for a crop 1.5x/1.6x or DX body. Typically, I prefer to use as long a focal length as I have room to shoot.

A maximum aperture of f1.8 or f1.4 is indicated. A large aperture yields better control over DOF (as needed). Large aperture lenses also tend to yield higher image quality (IQ) results. Primes tend to be a better choice than zooms, partly because of the availability of large aperture primes and partly for reduced rectilinear distortions, compared to zooms of similar cost.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    dipphotodipphoto Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    Thank you for your fees back!! Ill have to check out those lights ove the Allen bee lights. I have a 40d as my main body (hopping to upgrade soon). I thought of a Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. I had some
    One say that the Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM Telephoto Lens is a better lense to use. The location ill be shooting at will be in a house using most of the hall ways so I won't have that much space between me and the model at times. Se
    Times I find my self using 24mm and not able to do a full body due to space. Thank you again!!
    Aaron Wilson
    http://www.dipphoto.com
    :D Advance thank you to you!!