Options

Nikon 300mm f/4 question(s) - motorsports

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited February 12, 2013 in Accessories
I have the opportunity to shoot some upcoming motorcycle races (MotoGP type school and road racing). I can only assume I'll be fairly close to the track as I will have all access to shoot and be placed behind tire and other barriers trackside.

I currently have the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 but fear that might be a bit short without really knowing since I've not shot motorcycle racing before, nor been to the tracks. So I was thinking about a little more reach, either via the Nikon 300mm f/4 or with a TC of some flavor.

The shooting will be during daylight hours, so unless it's really dark/cloudy, ISO shouldn't be an issue with my D700 to get faster shutter speeds. If it's raining, I won't be shooting as they won't be riding.

Thinking about the 300mm f/4, is the general experience level with this good for this kind of shooting? The "Crazy" side of me said look at the f/2.8 version, but sheesh, that's a lot of coin. Is the average shooter like me, or average viewer going to notice the difference in quality between the two? Again, I don't think I'll need the low light capability or faster speed of the f/2.8, so does the f/4 do a bang-up job?

I suppose I could just rent one to find out, but figured I'd ping the group first for impressions/thoughts.

Thanks in advance for some input.

Comments

• Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    I have a 2012 version of that lens, and its great. But I cant compare it to the 2.8 as I don't have that one...yet mwink.gif
    For track side use it should be fine, but every track is laid out different. You might be further from the action than you like. Will they let you in for a look see?
    Also Moto GP IS run in the rain! So rethink you logistics and gear for that..but its Texas, does it ever rain there? eek7.gif
    Gary
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2013
    Gary,
    How does it do on tracking and focus hunt? I've been reading that with action based shots (such as athletics or motorsports) the focus lock time is popping up as the only complaint.

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    The 300mm f/4 has been one of my main lenses for wildlife shooting. I have never had a problem with the AF acquiring a target.

DSC_2540-XL.jpg

DSC_4078-XL.jpg

DSC_3712-XL.jpg
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2013
    Harry,
    I've followed your work for quite a while and it's amazing. I did not know you were shooting that 300mm f/4. Your results certainly speak for themselves on what the lens side of the equation is capable of.

sarcasm
    ...but....but, those big old birds on landing are a lot slower than motorcycles....
    /sarcasm

:D

Edit:
    I like what you did with the first two and the D300. The third is your 70-200.

• Options
    edited February 12, 2013
    Now that I think about it Harry, I'd bet those big old birds get up to the 40-50mph range in flight? Maybe faster in a dive?

What kind of speeds to they achieve?

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    M38A1 wrote: »
    Now that I think about it Harry, I'd bet those big old birds get up to the 40-50mph range in flight? Maybe faster in a dive?

What kind of speeds to they achieve?

Most of the birds will do between 30-40 MPH. That speed will increase if they are descending like the snowy egret in the last picture.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    I use the 300 f/4 for alpine ski racing and love it. I have had no problems with focus lock at all.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2013
    Again, thanks guys for the comment.

Looking at the fast bird pics and the fast downhill ski shots, I'm feeling a bit better about seriously looking at this lens...