Ice Fishing in the High Country

Colorado CJColorado CJ Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited February 12, 2013 in Street and Documentary
My brother-in-law and I went ice fishing a couple weeks ago up in the mountains. Elevation was about 10,000 ft. and it was COOOLD.

As usual, my camera came along for the trip. There aren't many photos as I was the one driving .... and we were too busy catching fish :D. We each caught about 15 or so trout. You wouldn't go hungry up here.

The drive up, the sun was almost ready to rise.

8466324793_f79a470f7e_o.jpg
Ice-Fishing-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

My brother-in-law and I heading out on the ice

8467420394_9a7bdbba3c_o.jpg
Ice-Fishing-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Setting up the shelter (you REALLY need this up here as it is below zero and the wind can get pretty bad). I put my camera down after this and helped setting up and drilling holes.

8467420096_1e4b0a0b06_o.jpg
Ice-Fishing-3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

The average size trout (~10") A few were upwards of 14-15".

8466323993_1875128428_o.jpg
Ice-Fishing-4 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

The last photo. As I said, this really wasn't a photography outing, so I didn't take the time to set up and decent shots, just a few quick shots during the day.

8467419686_1f7ecd354f_o.jpg
Ice-Fishing-5 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    Thanks for posting this. The idea has merit and I see a basic structure in what you've posted. I took a quick look at your flickr link to see if there were any more images from this set. You're obviously the outdoors type, eh?

In any case, I think there is potential in documenting the human elements of the outback. What would help are a few more shots of you or your fishing / hunting partner that connects us to the individual. The fourth shot gets there. The last image would serve well as the first in a photo essay and the second image as the closer. Just some thoughts.
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    Yes, the shot with the fish being gutted is the best of the series.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    #1 & 4 for me