Puerto Rico

Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited November 28, 2005 in Holy Macro
My wife and I spent a week in Puerto Rico recently. I'm just starting to post process. I'll post shots in this thread as I get through them so please check back from time to time.

First up: Río Camuy Cave Park

I only have a few from here as they didn't allow tripods. There was a heavy mist in the air reflecting back from the flash and generally making a mess of things. Pretty neat cave tour though.

Click for the EXIF

46160755-L.jpg

Detail of the formation above

46160758-L.jpg

46160762-L.jpg

46160766-L.jpg

I believe that next up will be shots from the El Yunque Rain Forest

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2005
    Caves
    Phil U. wrote:
    My wife and I spent a week in Puerto Rico recently. I'm just starting to post process. I'll post shots in this thread as I get through them so please check back from time to time.
    First up: Río Camuy Cave Park
    I only have a few from here as they didn't allow tripods. There was a heavy mist in the air reflecting back from the flash and generally making a mess of things. Pretty neat cave tour though.
    Click for the EXIF
    Detail of the formation above
    I believe that next up will be shots from the El Yunque Rain Forest
    Hi there Phil, caves are pretty neat aren't they, I got a chance to go into some in Montana, and how amazing are those formations clap.gif all those years of dripping....... I too struggled with light and hand holding inside the caves, but yours look very sharp to me :D thanks for posting .. Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there Phil, caves are pretty neat aren't they, I got a chance to go into some in Montana, and how amazing are those formations clap.gif all those years of dripping....... I too struggled with light and hand holding inside the caves, but yours look very sharp to me :D thanks for posting .. Skippy (Australia)

Yea - there are several caves about an hour from home but I've talked to all of them and they won't allow tripod use (for various reasons). Oh well. The ones here were with flash so that's why they came out sharp.
    edited November 28, 2005
    Here's the next set. These are from the El Yunque Rain Forest.

Because of the thick canopy, it's relatively dark in the forest. I was kind of surprised at the slow shutter speeds I was getting on a sunny day.

46331858-L.jpg

There are streams, waterfalls, and pools everywhere.

46331854-L.jpg

46331878-L.jpg

46331870-L.jpg

Unfortunately the trail we took was a popular one so we also saw lots of people. If I didn't have all the camera equipment I would have gotten in also - it was pretty warm and very humid.

46331894-L.jpg

The plant life was of course very abundant. Most of it was green though. I had somehow expected there to be more color. No matter - it was all beautiful anyway. I saw many of these plants. Never succeeded in capturing any effectively.

46331839-L.jpg

46331880-L.jpg

Another sample of color (other than green)

46331845-L.jpg

I found some color in an unexpected place - some of the trees' roots.

46331897-L.jpg

Everything had the "wet look"

46331846-L.jpg

There was certainly no shortage of water

46331842-L.jpg

The other big disappointment was the lack of wildlife. I figured it was largely due to all the people around but we were told that most of the activity happens after sundown. Bummer. The snails were happy to hang around with us though.

46331850-L.jpg

Well - that's about it. Hope you enjoyed your tour of Puerto Rico's rain forest. Check back later - I'll have more up as I get them done.
    edited November 28, 2005
    Can't forget the food
    Almost forgot. All that walking around in the forest made us hungry. Just about everywhere we went in Puerto Rico we kept seeing these huts/shacks serving up some deep-fried food that smelled fantastic. Most of these were places that just by looking at them you would never say, "I've got to eat there". In fact you'd probably be scared to eat anything that came from there. Still, with all the locals eating, how bad could it be? We decided to give it a go. OH MAN, this stuff is good! Deep fried for that wonderful greasy taste. My wife even raved about it which says a lot - she doesn't do well with trying new foods.

In this first shot, the Puerto Rican Taco is on the left. On the right is a "something" made with Plantains. I couldn't quite get what they're called but if I asked for Plantain thats what I got (my personal favorite also). Sorry for the crappy focus job :cry

46331906-L.jpg

And here is a Puerto Rican staple food - rice and beans.

46331910-L.jpg

Mmmmmm... I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.