Options

20x16 Framed Canvas Printing

zainzain Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited February 13, 2013 in Digital Darkroom
Hello Folks! I'm trying to figure out how to shoot my landscapes so that they will fit on the canvas the way I want them to. I got one done for free and am getting another done so I want this one to be right.

The image I got done is below. The image would not fit properly in that only the bridge is shown on the front of the canvas. Top and bottom edges, where the canvas wraps the frame, show a small portion of the unprinted canvas.

So how do I shoot it? Or how do I resize it? Or do I just need to do a custom size frame?

TIA,
Zain

Image -- http://www.zaincronk.com/Landscapes/Landscapes/26720612_qHBnG9#!i=2083460965&k=TLWnwWt
It's the one with the bridge.

Comments

• Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2013
    Size images yourself before sending to print. This makes sure the crop is what you want. 16x20 is the same ratio as 8x10. It loses a good chunk off the sides of an image at this ratio. You might just try another size. 11x17 and 17x24 will give you what you want.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2013
    Hi Zain

This is a question of print aspect ratio matching photo aspect ratio. In this case the print ratio is 4:5 and your photo is 2:3. Resizing can distort the image (tho some editing programs can handle this without doing so). So the easiest way to make sure that the whole image prints is to choose a print size with the same aspect ratio. In this case, 15x10, 18x12, 30x20, etc.

#4 from our printing tips help page talks about this in more detail.
    zain wrote: »
    Hello Folks! I'm trying to figure out how to shoot my landscapes so that they will fit on the canvas the way I want them to. I got one done for free and am getting another done so I want this one to be right.

The image I got done is below. The image would not fit properly in that only the bridge is shown on the front of the canvas. Top and bottom edges, where the canvas wraps the frame, show a small portion of the unprinted canvas.

So how do I shoot it? Or how do I resize it? Or do I just need to do a custom size frame?

TIA,
    Zain

Image -- http://www.zaincronk.com/Landscapes/Landscapes/26720612_qHBnG9#!i=2083460965&k=TLWnwWt
    It's the one with the bridge.