Options

D800 relative viewfinder size

DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
edited February 15, 2013 in Cameras
So I am kind of curious. I am seriously considering upgrading from my D300s to a D800. One question that seems to get mixed responses is the apparent size of the viewfinder of the D800 in DX mode vs. a crop camera like the D300s. Do any of you D800 shooters know if there is much of an apparent difference? When the D800 crops the viewfinder in DX mode is it a huge difference between looking at that vs looking through a D300s?
Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com

Comments

• Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2013
    I use the crop mode in mine all the time. Set up with a function button on the front of the body, and a roll of the wheel, and bam, I went from 70 - 105. Its still pleasant to view through, it just puts a square in the viewfinder so you know where its at.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2013
    I use the crop mode in mine all the time. Set up with a function button on the front of the body, and a roll of the wheel, and bam, I went from 70 - 105. Its still pleasant to view through, it just puts a square in the viewfinder so you know where its at.

But does it sem noticeably small or is it still a decent size?
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2013
    Still so much better to look through than any crop camera. So with a DX lens, it puts a box in the viewfinder, and makes it easy to compose. (if I remember right, I've sold all my DX glass)
  • Options
    dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2013
    The field of view does not change in the view finder. When shooting in one of the crop modes, the view finder displays lines/box to reflect the size of the image that is going to be captured.

Hope that makes sense.
    Duke
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2013
    Thanks for the help guys!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2013
    Get a DK-17M and an eyecup, then you'll REALLY have a gorgeous viewfinder! This way my D700 viewfinder is as large as my old Nikon FM2 viewfinder. And that's pretty dang big.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum