Corp Portrait Shoot Suggestions

HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited February 22, 2013 in People
Hi --

So I've got a personal goal to try to do more portraits this year. That being said, I offered to do a quick photo shoot for people at work, just a very quick headshot, so they have a nice image for their corporate profile/company social network type of stuff.

I'm going to be in a conference room, with typical overhead florescent lighting. The walls are very smooth, but a very light cream color, not white.

I won't have a lot of time to mess with lighting for each individual, as I'll only get 5-10 min with each person, so I'm trying to think as much of this through a head of time.

I've only got 1 SB-900 speedlight, so I thought I'd just stick that in my 28" apollo, go for a simple 45 degree/45 degree type of position. Position them slightly near the corner of the room, so maybe I can get some bounce off the wall.

I'm sort of wondering though how that wall color is going to work. I think I'd ideally like the background to go white, but with only a single light, I'm not sure if I can make that happen or not. Would I be better to move them out from the back wall as far as I can, and go for black?

Just looking for any tips, how you would approach the assignment with a single light.

Figured I'd stick to the 70-200mm, remote trigger, etc.

Thanks
Camera: Nikon D4
Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800

Comments

• DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2013
    I wish I could say it better, but I know that I can't...

Headshot in a corner
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 14, 2013
    You may want to look at this.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2013
    If you can get there ahead of time stay far enough from the walll to try for a shade of grey. Black might have the heads fade into the bkg. Buy a white foamcore board from Michaels or Hobby Lobby to use as a reflector. If there are windows you could use that for fill. The over head light will effect your color so use the highest shutter speed you can. Don't aim the light at them but skim it across the front of them. Extra batteries and a stool for them to sit on. Good luck.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2013
    I agree with chuck. I get them far enough away from the wall to go gray. That off white will otherwise look real drab.

And you definitely need fill unless you go for a butterfly light pattern but I'm not sur that will be appropriate. With loop light like you suggested, one light will have the one side of the face in too deep a shadow. Check out the 1st post in my 365 project thread to see what I mean.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2013
    Thanks for all the tips and such. I did the first group today. 8 people in 60 min. It felt like a whirlwind. Such an amazing learning experience. I hope to post a few images when they are ready. I promised people I wouldn't unless they tell me its ok.

Was my first real time shooting tethered to my laptop. Loved doing it, although every time I turned around the person had moved off their mark and was looking over my shoulder. Like I said, big learning experience for me, which is all I really wanted out of the whole thing anyway.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 20, 2013
    Glad to hear things went well for you! And getting 8 people through in an hour is pretty good throughput.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2013
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook