Lofoten Norway - Northern Lights?

c.stewc.stew Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited February 18, 2013 in Journeys
I'm heading to Lofoten Norway for a photo trip in a couple weeks, and was looking for tips from anyone who has been there shooting Northern Lights... especially in March, clothing? exposure tips? helpful hints? I have a Canon 5D m3 and a 7D as well as a variety of lenses, tripod and release. Any suggestions?

Comments

• OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2013
    Not Bad
    I was in Reine this simmer and would like to go back in winter. The weather is described in this from Wikipedeia. As you can see it is relatively mild for its location. It is a great place. Ithink I would bring cold weather gear and wind proof stuff and don't forget your head and face.. The wind chill can be brutal if outside for a long exposure.

"Climate

Winter temperatures in Lofoten are very mild considering their location north of the Arctic Circle – Lofoten has the largest positive temperature anomaly in the world relative to latitude. This is a result of the Gulf Stream and its extensions: the North Atlantic Current and the Norwegian Current. Røst and Værøy are the most northerly locations in the world where average temperatures are above freezing all year.

May and June are the driest months, while October has three times as much precipitation.[8][9] The warmest recording in Svolvær is 30.4°C (87°F).
    Strong winds can occur in late autumn and winter. Snow and sleet are not uncommon in winter, the mountains can have substantial amounts of snow, and in some winters, avalanches might come down from steep mountain slopes. Two of the top ten deadliest rainstorms ever recorded passed through Lofoten.
    In Svolvær, the sun is above the horizon continuously ("midnight sun") from 25 May to 17 July, and in winter the sun does not rise from 4 December to 7 January. In Leknes, the sun is above the horizon from 26 May to 17 July, and in winter the sun does not rise from 9 December to 4 January.
    The temperature in the sea has been recorded since 1935. At 1 m depth in the sea near Skrova, water temperatures varies from a low of 3°C in March to 14°C in August. Some years peaking above 17°C. November is around 7-8°C. At a depth of 200 m the temperature is near 8°C all year.[10]"

Are you going on a tour? I would be interested in knowing. Have a good time and wish I could go with Ya.