Options

Shinny floor help needed

BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
edited November 29, 2005 in Technique
I'm shooting Basketball T&I shots this week - Went to the gym to scope out a good location and WOW they have a new floor and Boy is it SHINNY.

Had planned on getting elevated and snapping team pic's with a 550ex and 580ex left and right using shoot through umbrellas and an onboard 580ex with LS II. Individuals head on with onboard 580ex w/ LS II and 580ex with shoot through umby to left.

Any hints on problems this shinny floor may cause? Any other tips?
Greg
"Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Comments

• Options
    AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2005
    I don't know much about equipment and what not... but my advice would be to go there, if you can, beforehand and try taking some photos there in an empty gym to see what you're really doing with.
    Nikon D50
    Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
    Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 29, 2005
    Shoot in RAW - the reflections off the floor may give a nice yellow cast from below. Light blue filter to reduce this - or perhaps a polarizing filter? These are guesses, not really answers.
    I know mereimage has done a lot of shooting BBAll and comments on the yellow reflections from the hardwood floors, so.....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Shoot in RAW - the reflections off the floor may give a nice yellow cast from below. Light blue filter to reduce this - or perhaps a polarizing filter? These are guesses, not really answers.
    I know mereimage has done a lot of shooting BBAll and comments on the yellow reflections from the hardwood floors, so.....
    Went yesterday and looked at the gym - definite yellow cast from the floor. Time wise I'm up against the wall so there's no time to get any filters. I do have one for my 200mm/f1.8 but think I'll leave that monster at home.

Hopefully we won't appear to have a league full of Jaundiced kids. umph.gif
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"