Playing With Plexi

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited February 19, 2013 in People
Bought a piece of plexiglass from Home Depot the other day. This was my first result. Might be a little to mature, expression wise, for a 10-year-old.

8486821015_ef4b764b99_o.jpg
Reflections Of A Dancer by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2013
    So cool Bryce. Been wanting to pick some plexi up. I had some stored at my mother's but I think it got thrown away a while ago. Side because I had some large sheets of it.

Is this clear plexi?
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2013
    So cool Bryce. Been wanting to pick some plexi up. I had some stored at my mother's but I think it got thrown away a while ago. Side because I had some large sheets of it.

Is this clear plexi?

Yup, clear plexi...it ain't exactly cheap...about 40 bucks for a 3 x 4 sheet. WARNING...wear cotton gloves when you handle it as finger prints are a bitch to remove, and have some static spray handy if you are in a low humidity area like we are in the winter.

In this shot it was just laying on top of the black background material. (which needs to be lint free unless you want to become very good friends with the healing brush:D) which I don't!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2013
    Oh yeah... I know all to well how expensive that stuff is. I used to be huge into aquariums in another life so that's why I had the stuff. I had this notion that I was going to build my own aquarium. Never happened.

My Smug Site
    edited February 18, 2013
    Oh yeah... I know all to well how expensive that stuff is. I used to be huge into aquariums in another life so that's why I had the stuff. I had this notion that I was going to build my own aquarium. Never happened.

I'll have to show you some pics of my 150 gallon reef that I used to have. Lost it all to a power outage while I was out of town (reef babysitter tripped the CGI when doing a top off and didn't realize it). I still have a sick feeling when I think of it. Had a BUNCH of Australian coral that is impossible to get anymore too.
    edited February 18, 2013
    Get out of here Bryce. I was huge into reef aquariums. I also had 150 gallon reef. Mostly soft corals but towards the end, I started to keep SPS corals. I actually used to propagate most of my corals and would sell them back to a couple local stores. I had some losses such as yours but not that drastic. I gave it up when we bought our first house. Sold everything. I actually cried a little when I sold a huge leather coral I had for years. The thing was about 30" around. I cried because I knew more than likely, it wasn't going to last in the next guys tank.

In our current home, the old furnace closet is now empty. It's the space I always dreamed of for an in-wall tank where everything is contained. I even have the ability to run a drain in the closet. Been working on the wife to approve another tank but haven't had any luck. Not sure I want the headache to be quite honest.

My Smug Site
    edited February 18, 2013
    Get out of here Bryce. I was huge into reef aquariums. I also had 150 gallon reef. Mostly soft corals but towards the end, I started to keep SPS corals. I actually used to propagate most of my corals and would sell them back to a couple local stores. I had some losses such as yours but not that drastic. I gave it up when we bought our first house. Sold everything. I actually cried a little when I sold a huge leather coral I had for years. The thing was about 30" around. I cried because I knew more than likely, it wasn't going to last in the next guys tank.

In our current home, the old furnace closet is now empty. It's the space I always dreamed of for an in-wall tank where everything is contained. I even have the ability to run a drain in the closet. Been working on the wife to approve another tank but haven't had any luck. Not sure I want the headache to be quite honest.

Knew there was a reason I liked you....

besides the hot wife! :D
    edited February 18, 2013
    Great minds!

My Smug Site
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2013
    Bryce, you rock. Wonderful shot here. Seems like you suddenly shot out of a canon regarding portraits. I'd love to see photos of your studio set up. Congrats.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2013
    kick ass shot! would love to see this in BW with bumped up contrast and some whitening of the eyes!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2013
    Whooooo.... this is stunning, Bryce - one of your best. I love the lighting (one light or two?)

Agree with Qarik about brightening up the eyes just a tad.

What's really interesting is that she looks younger in her reflection - if you look just at that, you see a child. If you look at the "real" her, she looks much older than she is. Fascinating....

More of this look, Bryce - and with some bts/settings, please!! thumb.gif
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2013
    Very nice Bryce!!
    edited February 19, 2013
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    Bryce, you rock. Wonderful shot here. Seems like you suddenly shot out of a canon regarding portraits. I'd love to see photos of your studio set up. Congrats.

Thanks Mom! Means a lot coming from the "newborn goddess". Studio set up isn't much to see. I'd take a shot, but I don't have (I don't think they even make one) a wide enough angle lens to take a shot that would show anything. Imagine a 12 X 15 room with really tall ceilings. Makes it really tough to get as creative with lighting as I would like and if anyone passes gas, the shoot has to stop for a bit!:D
    Qarik wrote: »
    kick ass shot! would love to see this in BW with bumped up contrast and some whitening of the eyes!

Thanks Daniel. I tried a black and white version and am going to include it at the end. Black and white processing with digital is something I don't do a lot of so it may not be great. To me, processing is a job for the lab that does the printing! :D
    divamum wrote: »
    Whooooo.... this is stunning, Bryce - one of your best. I love the lighting (one light or two?)

Agree with Qarik about brightening up the eyes just a tad.

What's really interesting is that she looks younger in her reflection - if you look just at that, you see a child. If you look at the "real" her, she looks much older than she is. Fascinating....

More of this look, Bryce - and with some bts/settings, please!! thumb.gif

Reason for the difference is that Portrait Professional was applied to the actual subject and nothing was done to the reflection. I thought it was pretty cool. The black and white image that I'm posting at the end had no retouching done to the face except for a little dodge to the eyes as you and Daniel had pointed out.

One softbox feathered quite a bit above and to the right of the subject and a white reflector camera right. My stand by portrait settings 5.6 and 125. This was somewhere near 70mm. Not sure what BTS is.
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Very nice Bryce!!

Thanks Charles...

8490148387_fac48f25e2_c.jpg
    Reflections Of A Dancer Black And White by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr