Options

Train Depot

DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
edited March 4, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
Purchased a used IR modified Canon 400D yesterday and was able to fire off some test shots immediately. Its been nothing but get ready for the long read of further discovery ever since.

I have admired IR results for quite a spell and am pleased to have this chance to see what comes of it for me :D

1stIR-NegRender-WM_7460-L.jpg

Your comments are always welcome and appreciated.
Michael

Comments

• Options
    superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2013
    I'm also looking into IR a little bit. I didn't used to care for it but I've seen some great results lately. I like the shot a lot. I don't know if it's your "goal" but the first word that came to mind was "tension". I think the contrast between the tree and building gives that mood.. at least to my eye.
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2013
    Your going to be spung! Have fun!
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2013
    Very credible, Michael....especially for your move into a new world. This shot appears to me to be a little " hot ". I realize the presence of snow plays into that but maybe you could tone down some of the highlights. Understand, though, that I know absolutely nothing about IR photography and that any technical comments I might make should be considered to be highly suspect. Knowing you, though, I'm certain you will make great strides in this arena and I'm looking forward to future efforts as you move along.

BTW, brother, if you get stumped on something, don't hesitate to fire off a communique to Craig. I'm sure he wouldn't mind....and I don't know anyone who knows more about that stuff than he does.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2013
    Have fun Michael.... it's always nice to have a new challenge in photography!
    Post 'em when you get 'em!
    On this composition, I would probably like to see the depot more clearly - nice start though - the tree looks cool!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2013
    superduckz wrote: »
    I'm also looking into IR a little bit. I didn't used to care for it but I've seen some great results lately. I like the shot a lot. I don't know if it's your "goal" but the first word that came to mind was "tension". I think the contrast between the tree and building gives that mood.. at least to my eye.
    Thanks Steve :D Pleased your liking this work up.
    Agreed, there are a many many really superb IR's out there that one can't hardly help but admire and drive a desire to get in the game.
    I put it off all along till this unit came available for $285.00. For that price it seemed silly not to try something now despite my not having done deeper research.
    After the fact I wish I had done more critical reading so there wouldn't be surprises like the ones I have experienced so far.

Tension describes it well and also my personal feeling towards the area you mention. That bold black of the building is so questionable and yet is somehow working to a degree.
    I should say that the black is there as is because I inverted the image along the way. Ended up liking it.
    Michael
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2013
    leaforte wrote: »
    Your going to be spung! Have fun!
    Is that Spung or Sprung ? I am thinking the latter lol3.gif and I must be cause I am already iloveyou.gif feeling it.
    Thanks for the encouragement!
    Michael
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2013
    Fun effect. Looking forward to seeing more!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2013
    Very credible, Michael....especially for your move into a new world. This shot appears to me to be a little " hot ". I realize the presence of snow plays into that but maybe you could tone down some of the highlights. Understand, though, that I know absolutely nothing about IR photography and that any technical comments I might make should be considered to be highly suspect. Knowing you, though, I'm certain you will make great strides in this arena and I'm looking forward to future efforts as you move along.

BTW, brother, if you get stumped on something, don't hesitate to fire off a communique to Craig. I'm sure he wouldn't mind....and I don't know anyone who knows more about that stuff than he does.

Take care,

Tom
    Credible tells it for me Tom :D If I can make that you know I'm good to go. The rest is just polishing the brass in any given effort and I am willing to do that. Fear not about the other things Tom. Your
    insightful and thoughtful with your considerations and comments. And I know you know more than your telling. Modest good. Hot is hot even in IR where it is
    some expected case by case. I will post a case that isn't along with all the others that are not and
    can easily be found out there. We hope you like that one too though it is low key as hell. Meanwhile I
    darkened the "hotspot" as it was too hot and I missed the need to decrease it entirely. I'll go with this and call it good for now. Thank you a ton for your comments Tom :D Am blessed to have'em.
    Of course Craig (Panther) crossed my mind first thing and glad you mention. It'll be awhile before I get up to that speed but that is the aim. The kind of problems I am having now are too wordy for my typing.
    I could do a small pamphlet addressing what I have run into for problems so far. Found those in the first several hours and was on the phone to the seller once discovered.
    He calmed me down bowdown.giflol3.gif Lined me out so I could see.
    Something like... just let the baby come out and try to breath through the pain.
    It be all good in the end. :D Push through it.
    1stIR-NegRender-WM2_7460-X2.jpg
    Michael
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    Have fun Michael.... it's always nice to have a new challenge in photography!
    Post 'em when you get 'em!
    On this composition, I would probably like to see the depot more clearly - nice start though - the tree looks cool!
    Thank you Eric :D I have been giddy so far but must say the hurdles found were unexpected and
    disconcerting. Giddy went to the sidelines for a moment or two. Once I understand those hurdles more fully I will be back to having fun and giddy as a puppy.
    Totally agree with your assessment but as you already guessed ... kinda could be helped. Mostly... I could have gone right another foot or two and still kept most of the composition parts and keep those trees meeting at that point. In my defense my fingers were practically too painful from wind and cold. So I let acing it slide some. I wasn't happy with the left tilt of the tower too. I will look up the straightening tool tutorial and consider a reshoot while the leaves are still off. Lastly mwink.gif I so hear ya
    about those trees. Do now and did then as luck would have it plus the fact that I love bare of leafs
    trees. Especially the ancient ones. Like Ash trees or Oak for starters both of which are on that property and couple have good attributes and angles to them. I worked up another angle of that tree
    and will post it in its own thread. Hope that goes well headscratch.gif:D My wife likes it ... this much I know.
    So many ways to go with that image. Hard for me to settle on one specifically and even be sure it
    really flys as its worked up. I hope you'll say for that work up too. If it deserves the time of day.
    I think it does. But then I'm biased deal.gif
    Michael
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2013
    Congrats on the IR Camera. Someday I hope to have one ... someday ....

I like how this turned out :D
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2013
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Congrats on the IR Camera. Someday I hope to have one ... someday ....

I like how this turned out :D
    Thanks Mary Kim. I was surprised it was still available as I missed checking it out first time the seller
    posted it. A craigs litst deal and very cheap to my complete surprise. It appears to take a decent
    pic.
    This one was my first real IR chance to try processing. I did not use any methods outlined by IR users for this workup. Simply moved around till something looked good. Inverted looked unique so I left it alone. I will post the 2nd pic work up. That one I followed directions much as I could. :D
    Michael
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2013
    Howdy Michael,

I thought my "IR Sensor's" went off this morning :D:D:D

Really a very neat image, and you've really shown a lot
    of creativity with masking the Hotspot and also inverting the
    image in your Post Processing. There are quite a few good IR
    Actions for Channel Swapping if that's something that might
    interest you, there easy to google and find.

You're going to have to be very careful though, IR Is Very Addicting
    and can consume your Photographic Passion !!!

Look forward to seeing your next installment. If I can ever help out,
    Please don't hesitate to shoot me an Email or PM.

All lenses can produce a Hotspot if pushed to far or conditions are just right,
    but some aren't as sensitive as others.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2013
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Michael,

I thought my "IR Sensor's" went off this morning :D:D:D

Really a very neat image, and you've really shown a lot
    of creativity with masking the Hotspot and also inverting the
    image in your Post Processing. There are quite a few good IR
    Actions for Channel Swapping if that's something that might
    interest you, there easy to google and find.

You're going to have to be very careful though, IR Is Very Addicting
    and can consume your Photographic Passion !!!

Look forward to seeing your next installment. If I can ever help out,
    Please don't hesitate to shoot me an Email or PM.

All lenses can produce a Hotspot if pushed to far or conditions are just right,
    but some aren't as sensitive as others.
    lol3.gif Yes sir, Howdy howdy :D
    A very nice surprise chalk full of valuable treats. Ain't much better than that. Thank you Craig thumb.gif
    Pretty cool your a sensitive. Trust that notion when they drift in ever so quietly or ever so loud.
    Never can tell what the volume or msg is going to be :D
    So every lens has a hotspot depending. No Kidding. This is good to know as I was fearing it was a select type or simply bad issue lens or both. That there were hotspots throughout except those taken with his niffty 50 was very alarming as you imagine it would be. Didn't know the 50 showed no hotspot at the time cause I was concentrating on my lens captures till I got on the phone with him.
    But he had the same 17-50 and mentioned he had no hotspot issue with his lens. So certain conditions might be selected f/stop and exposure + ? variances?
    " IR Actions for Channel Swapping " Yes, I would like that. Most certainly. The 1 instruction video for
    hands on was illuminating as I worked my Haunted Tree Or Ghost In The Tree work up. The all BW no
    sepia my favored of the 2. Again an IR that doesn't look it so much. It would be great to have your opinion of that little effort too. I am delighted your liking the first workup and find it successful in its way. :D Which as you guessed... an attempt to eliminate the hotspot in both. Seems having to work around a problem can present previously untried visuals ... general results that end well.
    I had a passion for IR, which you helped nurture on multiple occassions, before this camera but no convenient way to express it in under 30 seconds mwink.gif But now the chapel doors have opened and go forth I will rolleyes1.gif Mix it up with the rowdy ones time to time bowdown.gif
    My passion right now is dialing in a decent abstract. No body is going to go for that tree. What ta do?

Its highly appreciated that you wouldn't mind if I drop you a note full of my questions. Very good of you Craig. I dislike being a bother which is why I did not reach you earlier. Do apologize for not getting to this response quicker. There was a bit of traffic along the way :D and it looks great in IR
    Michael