Options

Suggestions for Bridal Portrait Shoot

photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
edited March 2, 2013 in Weddings
I'm shooting my first bridal portrait next month and I'm looking for suggestions for lenses to use and filters, if any. I'll be shooting the bridal portrait outdoors, from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM. I will be using my Canon 1DMarkIV. I have a Canon 24-70mm f2.8L but I'm not sure if there is something better that I could use for this specific photo shoot. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

-Chris

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2013
    Rent yourself a Sigma 85 1.4, or the Canon 85 1.2 if you're up to the task of the beast. Personally I like the Sigma 85 cause it's light and fast and still has equal bokeh to the 1.2.

Brides need to be flattered. You can do all your other fun stuff as you see fit, but at least a few shots need to truly flatter them. That is what the 85 is designed to do. Of course on 1.3x crop you could also go for a 50 1.4 Sigma or 50 1.2 Canon, but personally I just like to back up a few steps and go for 85...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2013
    I'm a CPS Gold Member, they have the 85 1.2 and 50 1.2 available via their loan program. I think I'll try the 85 1.2.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2013
    photodad1 wrote: »
    I'm a CPS Gold Member, they have the 85 1.2 and 50 1.2 available via their loan program. I think I'll try the 85 1.2.

A warning: If you have NEVER shot at f/1.2 before, practice a LOT before shooting anything professional with that lens. Even stopping down to f/2 or f/2.8, you still don't get the same pin-point keeper rate as say an 85 1.8. Simply because the 1.2's are a bit sluggish. The 1D mkIV will have plenty of power to drive all that heavy glass, but the AF motor in the lens is still not to be described as "wicked fast"...

So, practice a ton shooting with such primes. :-)
  • Options
    unique93unique93 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2013
    70-200mm f2.8isII? :D
  • Options
    LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2013
    A warning: If you have NEVER shot at f/1.2 before, practice a LOT before shooting anything professional with that lens. Even stopping down to f/2 or f/2.8, you still don't get the same pin-point keeper rate as say an 85 1.8. Simply because the 1.2's are a bit sluggish. The 1D mkIV will have plenty of power to drive all that heavy glass, but the AF motor in the lens is still not to be described as "wicked fast"...

This is a great advice, I notice what you describe with with my Sigma 35mm 1.4 , the keeper rate is very lower than shooting with my 24-70mm 2.8 or 70-200mm 2.8.

Marcelo
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2013

Thanks Matt! Which camera would you recommend? The Canon 1DmarkIV or the Canon 5DmarkII?
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2013
    photodad1 wrote: »
    Thanks Matt! Which camera would you recommend? The Canon 1DmarkIV or the Canon 5DmarkII?

The flagship autofocus systems are the best for nailing focus at f/1.2 as often as possible. Keep the f/1.2's on your 1D series, or a 5D mk3, ...and keep the f/2.8's or other lenses on a 5D mk2 if you have one.

=Matt=