Options

My First Wedding!

LoganHLoganH Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
edited March 13, 2013 in Weddings
Hey everyone!

I finally got my photos to the main shooter and he forwarded them on to the client, so I can now post some on here! I will post more in the coming days. Let me know what you think. C & C more than welcome! Again this was my first wedding and man was it a long day.

1)
8323158592_8e58de5856_c.jpg

2)
8323180660_26733725c8_c.jpg

3)
8323164882_456c9fb7b4_c.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TomHarmonTomHarmon Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2013
    The detail shots are great, but I think the direct flash on the dancing image is unflattering, but you captured a great moment.
  • Options
    coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2013
    nice shots - show some more pls
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2013
    TomHarmon wrote: »
    The detail shots are great, but I think the direct flash on the dancing image is unflattering, but you captured a great moment.

Ditto. Your overall understanding of color and exposure is great, but that flash dance floor shot is much too direct with to little ambient light in the exposure. What was your method for getting that shot? Exposure, metering, flash, focal length?

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2013
    Ditto. Your overall understanding of color and exposure is great, but that flash dance floor shot is much too direct with to little ambient light in the exposure. What was your method for getting that shot? Exposure, metering, flash, focal length?

=Matt=

-The reception hall was a library that was absolutely stunning! However, the lighting almost could not have been worse. There were no overhead lights in this room. Only one in the next room over. So it was literally impossible to get the shot without a flash. Also, the flash is a little direct, I had it aimed up at the ceiling mostly though.
    I do not remember what the settings were exactly for my YN flash. For the exif info in the picture I was at 43mm, iso 800, f/5, 1/80th of a second. The lens I was using is a variable aperture so f/5 was the lowest I could go at 43mm.
    Also, my flashes are full manual. So it was definitely a learning curve using them in conjunction for the desired shutter speed.

The main shooter even told me about the harsh flash he was having to use in his photos too. It was unfortunate. But with the terrible lighting conditions, I was quite happy with how they came out!

I will post more tonight when I get home.

Thanks!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2013
    not really digging any of these. sorry. the sword and hat are some wonderful pieces for detail shots but your arrangement is not compelling. Imagine laying the brim of the hat partly over the handle of the sword and setting those on a dark wooden desk with some window light and then taking a shot at f/2...so many ways you can go at it.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2013
    LoganH wrote: »
    -The reception hall was a library that was absolutely stunning! However, the lighting almost could not have been worse. There were no overhead lights in this room. Only one in the next room over. So it was literally impossible to get the shot without a flash. Also, the flash is a little direct, I had it aimed up at the ceiling mostly though.
    I do not remember what the settings were exactly for my YN flash. For the exif info in the picture I was at 43mm, iso 800, f/5, 1/80th of a second. The lens I was using is a variable aperture so f/5 was the lowest I could go at 43mm.
    Also, my flashes are full manual. So it was definitely a learning curve using them in conjunction for the desired shutter speed.

The main shooter even told me about the harsh flash he was having to use in his photos too. It was unfortunate. But with the terrible lighting conditions, I was quite happy with how they came out!

I will post more tonight when I get home.

Thanks!

Yeah, I suppose that's about what you'd get with that lighting and those lens settings.

However, f/2.8 and ISO 3200 can do wonders for making your ambient light a little more present, and taking the edge off your on-camera flash.

Also, I know it would be crazy to attempt on your very first gig, but another thing I do when it is very dark is I set up 2-3 off-camera flashes to either shine on the subject from an off-camera angle, or as a general background light so that the whole room is a little better illuminated.

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2013
    I was the second shooter and the main shooter was not wanting to set all of that up(not sure why). Agreed that it would have been better though. Also, My lens was variable aperture and the biggest it would go to was 3.5
    I should have dropped it a bit lower though.
  • Options
    kmh12345kmh12345 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 2, 2013
    Looking good. Not bad, especially for your first attempt!
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2013
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2013
    Qarik wrote: »
    not really digging any of these. sorry. the sword and hat are some wonderful pieces for detail shots but your arrangement is not compelling. Imagine laying the brim of the hat partly over the handle of the sword and setting those on a dark wooden desk with some window light and then taking a shot at f/2...so many ways you can go at it.

I agree with your comments about the sword and hat...

As far as your dance shot...it looks like a snapshot...a problem that comes along when the light isn't right.

Before you shoot on your own, figure out how to get the shot without it looking like you took it with a point and shoot.

Another nit about the dance shot...you cut off their feet...why. And, since you cropped it or pushed in too close...it limits the appeal of the image.

It's not just what they're doing, it's where they're doing it, and it's also about those sharing the experience. Those are the images that will last in their memories.

Just FYI.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2013
    Thanks for the critique!

-Again, it looks like a point and shoot because of the harsh on camera flash. There were 3 photographers there and all of us had to do this.
    -Understandable about the feet; however, I did not crop it at all. Was just the product of the shot and I was not expecting him to tip her at that moment so was not wide enough to get it all. They were very happy with this picture.
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2013
    If all three of you got photos that looked the same, then all three of you need to up your technical abilities. Off camera flash is so easy; the primary should have known enough to do that. Perhaps all of you were new?

The advice here was given by some highly skilled people who are trying to help you get better. These are not good photos and certainly look more like a friend's snapshots than a professional wedding photographers. Sorry if that seems mean; I do understand how it feels because I was where you are a few years ago, posting what I thought were good pictures and wondering why people were mean! But then my eye got trained, and guess what? They were right. I swallowed my pride, and listened. And only then did I start to become the photographer that I thought I already was.

But this is the reality that we all accept only long after our first weddings, when we look back at the work we did after we dramatically imporved.
    You can't see it now, but maybe in two or three years....
    Here are some examples of others who were in your situation in the past, and how they grew.
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1193263
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2013
    1. I am not pursuing wedding photography as my main path. This was a test run and did not enjoy it very much.
    2. Why say "sorry if that seems mean" when you're actually sincerely not. I understand others opinions and saying these are bad photos is your opinion. I agree that the first photo is not that good. But I do love the 2nd and 3rd.
    3. I am listening and understanding, so let's not jump the gun.
    4. I already see progression in my portrait work so I understand progression.
    5. The main photographer was in from out of town. He did not bring the required equipment. Again, this was not my call.
    6. There is a difference between C&C and what you just did, being rude.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2013
    LoganH wrote: »
    1. I am not pursuing wedding photography as my main path. This was a test run and did not enjoy it very much.
    2. Why say "sorry if that seems mean" when you're actually sincerely not. I understand others opinions and saying these are bad photos is your opinion. I agree that the first photo is not that good. But I do love the 2nd and 3rd.
    3. I am listening and understanding, so let's not jump the gun.
    4. I already see progression in my portrait work so I understand progression.
    5. The main photographer was in from out of town. He did not bring the required equipment. Again, this was not my call.
    6. There is a difference between C&C and what you just did, being rude.

I thought the commentary was adequately tactful, as far as C&C goes. Saying "sorry if it seems mean, but..." just means that they're making it very clear that their C&C is not in the category of the fluffy, back-patting "nice job, and here's a tip" type of feedback that you see all too often on the more quiet, "nice" communities. Don't get me wrong, I prefer nice and quiet communities, that's why I'm here! But sometimes the fastest way to improve is to dip your toe in a shark pool. Or at least, sometimes sugar coating the critique is less healthy for the OP than just shooting straight and being honest.

I'm certain that your work will improve, or is already improving.

To be clear, in my opinion it is only your first shot that I feel is "like a snapshot". The other two are fine detail photos that you should be proud of capturing on your first try, heck even on your 10th try!

Just get back into those pitch-black lighting conditions when you get a chance, and have some fun with tackling such scenarios until you can kill it. That's all there is to it!

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2013
    Thank you for your thoughts Matt!

I understand that this forum is much more centered towards being honest and harsh at times which is appreciated.
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2013
    I really do apologize to the OP, and was absolutely not trying to be rude. This teaches me that it's better to just stay in the closed forum of professional wedding photographers instead of returning here, because of unintentionally offending with well meaning information when people say "c& c welcome!"

I make this mistake every so often, here on Dgrin where so many were honest with me in the past and helped me to up the caliber of my work. Again, I'm very sorry that my words were offensive to you.
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2013
    smurfy wrote: »
    I really do apologize to the OP, and was absolutely not trying to be rude. This teaches me that it's better to just stay in the closed forum of professional wedding photographers instead of returning here, because of unintentionally offending with well meaning information when people say "c& c welcome!"

I make this mistake every so often, here on Dgrin where so many were honest with me in the past and helped me to up the caliber of my work. Again, I'm very sorry that my words were offensive to you.

Smurfy, you are very needed around a "gentle" place like this. ;-)
  • Options
    bcgal00bcgal00 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2013
    Smurfy....I bet most feel like I do...HCCC is appreciated. I am fairly new to posting here (lurked for a long time) and do appreciate the honest criticism as it helps me too to "see" a scene differently and learn how to approach it myself when I'm in a similar situation. While back patting and admiration is nice....honest criticism helps us grow and become better photographers.