Options

DSS #123 - C&C Needed

TJRidgwayTJRidgway Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited February 25, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've honestly never tried an abstract before. For this I used one of my daughters toys with a long exposure, handheld, zooming. Used LR4 to adjust curves and levels, nothing else. Two options, one a bit flatter, one a bit more vibrant (literally a difference of 50 in the vibrance, -50 vs 0).

Abstract%201-M.jpg

Abstract%202-M.jpg

Looking forward to some C&C!

Comments

• Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2013
    Looks like you have a good sense of appropriate shutter speed for hand held blur. There's enough time and motion to obscure the subject beyond recognition - making this an abstract that is purely about color and composition. I don't think there's a chance that anyone would be able to identify the subject, which is one of the challenges stated goals.

With that said, I think it's worthwhile to consider the colors and composition as being the subject. So... The issue of vibrance come down to which one supports visual interest best. For me this is a very cool shot there's some interesting stuff going on, and... I think you have the material here to make it even better.

There's a kind of symmetry that works around the central vertical and horizontal lines. It's strengthened by the leading diagonal lines that lead to the center. What captures my attention most is the contrasting left-right complemental red-green color shift which comes out best in the second shot.

I think you might be able to emphasize the complementary aspects of the colors with a bit more work in the HSL panel of LR by experimenting with isolated hue, saturation, and luminance adjustments of the reds, greens, and yellows.

It might be interesting to experiment with your crop and minor straightening to emphasize the aspects of symmetry too.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2013
    Altho I agree with Bill in almost everyway, I see wooden beads on a string. I keep getting drawn to them and the image loses its abstract quality.

Love the colors and the sense of motion.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2013
    I agree with Chris and Bill. Think you are on the right track here and really like the effect you've got going. But, I can see the bead on the right hand side especially... so if you can get that moving so that it blends in without being recognizable, it would really help this photo.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2013
    I had a fairly complex setup for this without realizing it. I've been trying to replicate it, but I don't like any of the new shots quite as much as this one. I do wonder if it's because I'm not a big abstract fan so I like having a little bit of structure peeking through though...

Here goes, however:

Abstract%203-M.jpg

Just for a note, I really like the less vibrant shot in my first post. I think I would name it "Fading Childhood". It really hits me with that, both colors and the spacial effect.
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2013
    It's more abstract and the colors are nice. You have recaptured the balance in this one, too.

chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2013
    15524779-Ti.gif This one keeps the nice abstract but gets rid of the item recognition problem. Nice job! clap.gif
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2013
    Thanks! I adjusted the levels a touch more and aligned the colors a bit more directly on the diagonal. Curious what you think of this.

Abstract%204-M.jpg

Thanks again!
  • Options
    MemolMemol Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2013
    I like your last entry better.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2013
    Worked on both of those shots a bit more. I know the first shot was not favored, but I kept working on it because I like it. The second shot I balanced the colors a touch more.

Abstract%206-M.jpg

This one I color balanced a bit and then washed out a touch as I think that speaks to what I see the photo as.

Abstract%207-M.jpg

Added some clarity and fine tuned the colors a bit more. I like the contrast a bit more, but I'm curious what others think.
  • Options
    MemolMemol Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2013
    I like this last one better. The colors are much better.
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2013
    Agree - last one looks good! Although I didn't mind the first couple where the beads were slightly visible - made me think of olives!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2013
    My personal preference is for the first. I like the more subtle tones and the beads add for me, rather than detract as they do for some of the others.
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2013
    I'd have to agree, personally.