IMG_5185-L.jpg

IMG_5179-L.jpg

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2013
    Hi Keller3778,

I like the care you've taken in arranging the objects that create your image in order of a rainbow color spectrum.

For me the diagonal lines that are predominant in the blue and orange are strong compositional elements, but I think they might be pointed more directly to a corner of the image. As they stand now, they seem to contradict the borders of the images.

More importantly, though, is the negative space at the lower right of each image. The flatness of color in comparison to the vibrant arcs is distracting (and may not be in the spirit of the challenge which included a direction to have the image fill the frame of the entire photo).

Not sure how picky the Moderator will be about this, but it's disappointing to have an entry dq'ed before the voting starts.

That said, you might consider an aggressive crop that eliminates the negative space and orients the diagonal to a corner. Perhaps the 3rd one could be cropped in portrait orientation.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    Keller3778Keller3778 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2013
    Bill,

Thanks for the input. Its actually a single dvd with a series of lights arranged to get the colors. I originally filled the frame but felt the photo lacked depth so I recomposed with the negative space and added another light to create the shadow.

Here is a different composition with some more of the elements you suggested.

IMG_5183-L.jpg
  • Options
    MemolMemol Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2013
    The last one is the best to me
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2013
    I agree - the last one is really nice. I'd be tempted to do a bit of touch-up in the upper left corner - the green & red are a tiny bit distracting - it would look cleaner if they weren't there.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2013
    Nicely done. I like the last. Unlike Bill, I actually like the dissonance created by not ending up in a corner. And unlike Lillian, I like the imperfections in the black area. But I think I get nailed for such imperfections from time to time. I think most people prefer to eliminate them.
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2013
    I would touch up the stray light in the upper left corner, too. I like to new crop much better.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    CambysesCambyses Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2013
    Same here. Like the last one the best and would at least touch up the little green light.