Options

Possible Upgrade to T4i...thoughts?

jbswearjbswear Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
edited March 3, 2013 in Cameras
(I tried to search for threads on this, but searching "T4i" showed nothing at all.)

My rusty, dusty, faithful XTi is getting long in the tooth. The flash no longer deploys (not that it matters; I never use it, but it has failed), it oft times shows the "Error 99" on the display; sometimes it takes several reboots to get it to pass, and it's just getting...old. There are at least 30k frames on it.

I am loath to buy a new camera without studying up on it enough, but I've been out of the market for so long that I'm not sure what to go for. I don't even know when Canon abandoned the CF card format.

I love the two models of Rebels that I've used--the original XT and my XTi. I'd like to stick with the Rebel line.

I don't *often* use a video recorder, but when I do, it's a simple Flip camera. I'm assuming that the T4i would serve a better job in that aspect.

I don't want a point-and-shoot; I love having the option of playing with the controls, and while I know many P&S cameras allow for that, I love the DSLR cameras too much.

Price is a point for me. I'd prefer to buy a new camera or one that has been refurbished. I see the T4i kits with prices ranging from $650-$1000+, with the majority around $750 for a 18-55mm IS II or 55-250mm IS II lens included.

Can any of you guys offer me your thoughts on the T4i or other cameras I might consider? I haven't looked at the T3 line yet, but have noticed that their prices are close enough to the T4 line that if the T4 line is better, that the small jump in price is worth it.

(edit)

I did ask a similar question a little over a year ago, and at the time was pointed towards keeping the body and upgrading lenses. I never did buy new lenses, but think that I'll end up getting a macro lens to go along with whatever camera I do buy.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=207370
Semper fi,
Brad
www.facebook.com/SwearingenTurnings -- Hand made pens by yours truly

Comments

• Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2013
    I think you will be amazed at the improvement in technology
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2013
    I almost never suggest to anyone that they set their sights higher, but in this case, I'd urge you to look one line up before you decide to stick with a Rebel. The ergonomics, controls, and responsiveness are very different, even though the sensors aren't. My first SLR was an XTi, and I thought it was dandy until I tired a 50D. You may find that you still prefer a Rebel, and if so, great. However, you may not. You can get a refurb 60D for $639 at Adorama.
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2013
    paddler4 wrote: »
    I almost never suggest to anyone that they set their sights higher, but in this case, I'd urge you to look one line up before you decide to stick with a Rebel. The ergonomics, controls, and responsiveness are very different, even though the sensors aren't. My first SLR was an XTi, and I thought it was dandy until I tired a 50D. You may find that you still prefer a Rebel, and if so, great. However, you may not. You can get a refurb 60D for $639 at Adorama.

From my brief reading the T4i looks to be better in video for ease of use with AF and a touch screen (which I'm assuming is used for AF, the last Canon I used extensively actually is an XTi) so for the OP's needs it seems like it could be a toss up ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2013
    Hmmm. I read www.dpreview.com 's review of the 60D. It's been two and a half years since the review, and it was actually compared to the T2i as a possible upgrade from that camera. For that price, I think I'd prefer the T4i because it's newer, has newer upgrades, and I've been reading high praise of its video capabilities.

Ergonomics really aren't a factor for me (until somebody sells a camera made from razor blades!). When I pick up a camera I look for the necessary buttons and start shooting. I get used to the shape rather quickly.

Thanks! I'll keep studying.
    Semper fi,
    Brad
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2013
    So...I pulled the trigger on a T4i kit. Next I need to buy some memory cards and look into lenses.
    Semper fi,
    Brad
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2013
    jbswear wrote: »
    So...I pulled the trigger on a T4i kit. Next I need to buy some memory cards and look into lenses.

Canon upgraded the Rebel models with faster FPS rate, all cross type AF points, etc. - considerable upgrade from the XTi
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2013
    Yeah, I'm already noticing great improvements over the XTi, and I've only had it two days now. MUCH increased frame rate, especially with a 45M/s card. Learning the new locations for controls will take a bit to master, but I enjoy its lighter weight and think I'll enjoy it for a few years. I don't think I'll wait another six to upgrade again, though!
    Semper fi,
    Brad