5D3_9361-X2.jpg

5D3_9286-X2.jpg

5D3_9227-X2.jpg

5D3_9188-X2.jpg

5D3_9203-X2.jpg

5D3_9192-X2.jpg

Thanks for looking. 5D3 + 70-200/2.8II
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• HungryHungry Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2013
    nice. while you are shooting in a low contrast zone on the bottom part of your photos, the essence of motion is really captured with the powder coming off the skis.
  • KikopriceKikoprice Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2013
    Great shots Jack. #3 really captures the moment for me.

Tell me the down sides of the 5DMKIII vs another body like the 1DMKIV. Ive got 2 photo checks coming in and Im sitting on the fence 5DIII vs 1DMKIV.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 26, 2013
    The kid in #3 is priceless. Another great set of pictures.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2013
    Kikoprice wrote: »
    Great shots Jack. #3 really captures the moment for me.

Tell me the down sides of the 5DMKIII vs another body like the 1DMKIV. Ive got 2 photo checks coming in and Im sitting on the fence 5DIII vs 1DMKIV.

Thanks. Actually the set of pictures above displays the 5D3's only weakness, IMO. If you can't tell, then maybe there's your answer. This is the first time I've really felt having only 6fps was a liability, and I've shot a good amount of sports with it. Ymmv. I was shooting short bursts to try to get this composition next to the gate:

5D3_9234-X2.jpg

I tried timing my first shot of each burst so it would look like that, but it was tough. Then I tried shooting slightly longer bursts, but that got similar results. Shots like 3 where the gate is not in the frame are from these longer bursts. They have merit, but I wish the gate was in there.
    ian408 wrote: »
    The kid in #3 is priceless. Another great set of pictures.

Thanks! Here's another good face:

5D3_9363-X2.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2013
    I love seeing more ski racing shots. These are all excellent - color/contrast/IQ are superb. Love the littler ripper in #3. Your positioning is one of my favorites for GS. How did you feel after kneeling/sitting in the snow all day?
    One question - why f/5.6?
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2013
    Thanks. I've shot skiing at f/2.8 before. Often the AF will grab the hand or ski pole in front, and then the face is OOF. For these I wanted to make sure to get the whole skier in focus. 200mm on FF is not much reach, and these are not cropped much. I was only about 20 feet away from the red gate, so DOF at f/2.8 would have been very thin. Fortunately that gate was on a double fall-line, so I was positioned downhill and I could stand. But yeah my feet got cold!
    -Jack

• Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2013
    Thanks. I've shot skiing at f/2.8 before. Often the AF will grab the hand or ski pole in front, and then the face is OOF. For these I wanted to make sure to get the whole skier in focus. 200mm on FF is not much reach, and these are not cropped much. I was only about 20 feet away from the red gate, so DOF at f/2.8 would have been very thin. Fortunately that gate was on a double fall-line, so I was positioned downhill and I could stand. But yeah my feet got cold!
    Makes sense and you had a good BG to work with as well. Again great shots and thanks for sharing.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook