Good head shot?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited February 28, 2013 in People
This is the daily from yesterday. We decided to take a photo so my wife can update her photo I Linkedin and also on her profile on our corporate intranet site. She didn't want a boring "corporate" shot so I tried for something along the line of a theatrical head shot, at least my understanding of it anyway.

Would love to hear what you all think, especially our resident head shot expert. :wink

DSC_9912-Edit-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2013
    Would love to hear what you all think, especially our resident head shot expert. mwink.gif

Well, I am certainly not the latter, however, I always have an opinion. To be fair, your skill always amazes me so I don't know that I will be that much help. Either that or your wife can make any photo look good. mwink.gif Regardless, I like this one as well. The gray vignette background with the purple / gray outfit works VERY well. I also looks nice with her complexion and eyes.

One think I would point out is her nails on the right hand. With the kicker hitting them from the back side it looks like they are glowing. It was the first thing that caught my eye. I would think that it could simply be toned down a little in post. Otherwise I think it looks great!!

Just out of curiosity, you crops usually have body parts touching the sides of the frame. in this one, the arm to the right, head to the top... I assume this is done on purpose. Is there a general rule balance you use with selecting your crops or does it just turn out that way. I find myself trying not to do this, but I like your photos better. :D
    -~= Philip =~-
    Go Shoot Something Already! - Flickr Photostream
    Have you performed a few Random Acts of Parenting today? :)
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2013
    I like the lighting of the photo. The pose may subconsciously put people off as it is a classic "don't mess with me" pose. We photographers don't notice things like that and it doesn't bother me personally, but for making first impressions as a corporate picture it isn't an inviting picture. The folded arms signal a closed off stance coupled with a lack of a smile.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2013
    Hey Phil. Thanks for commenting.

I actually told her that violet tones really look good on her. They add just a little color to an otherwise monotone palette. Didn't notice the nails till you mentioned it so I'm not sure I will burn the highlights yet. Need to come back to it later to see if it jumps out at me. Not that it's a difficult edit, just not sure it needs it yet.

As for the cropping, this is how I shot it in camera. Cropping is the one thing I rarely do in post. Not really sure why. I kind of want to keep the file as large as possible I guess. I try to compose and frame in camera as much as I can. I don't really follow any rules though, other than what "looks good" to me and typically, that means a tight shot. I do try to pay some attention to limbs and such but sometimes, cutting an elbow off a bit just seems like the right thing to do.

I do have to say that this practice has worked against me in the past because I've not left any room to crop to certain aspect ratios in post. What I do now is start a little wider, take a shot and then get in tight with a second capture if I like what I'm seeing. This is working out pretty good. Like the shot I posted. I took a wider shot first and immediately moved forward and took the frame posted.
    jonh68 wrote: »
    I like the lighting of the photo. The pose may subconsciously put people off as it is a classic "don't mess with me" pose. We photographers don't notice things like that and it doesn't bother me personally, but for making first impressions as a corporate picture it isn't an inviting picture. The folded arms signal a closed off stance coupled with a lack of a smile.

I do get what you mean about the pose but it's actually what I love about the shot. IMO, this photo really captures my wife as a person. She has a soft/feminine side but she's one of the most independent and strong willed women I've ever met in my life.

My Smug Site
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2013
    I would crop that much tighter for a "headshot". Perhaps above her hands.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited February 26, 2013
    That's what I was thinking; that ain't no headshot. It's a 1/2 body shot. But it's really nice. You've got that lighting nailed.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2013
    Something about this outfit and pose makes her look boxy and a bit heavy from her arms up, and since I know she is not it bugs me. She is a beautiful subject but this is not as flattering as I expected it to be. I like everything else, colors are great!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2013
    It's fierce! If that's the mood she wants, then great- you nailed it. If she wants a more approachable professional image, then you may need a different expression. If you are genuinely considering using it for casting, then this would definitely have that lawyer/policewoman vibe (at least that's how it reads to me).

I agree with Trudy, too, that it does make her arms look bigger than they are. Also, I think you could have afforded a higher angle for this one - looks like you were shooting slighty from below.

Btw, all comments above made above and beyond the obvious points that she's gorgeous, your lighting is fab, and you know what you're doing!!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2013
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I would crop that much tighter for a "headshot". Perhaps above her hands.
    kdog wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking; that ain't no headshot. It's a 1/2 body shot. But it's really nice. You've got that lighting nailed.

Thanks guys. It's not a headshot-headshot but I think it certainly can be considered a "headshot". Laughing.gif. I talking about an actor headshot.
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    Something about this outfit and pose makes her look boxy and a bit heavy from her arms up, and since I know she is not it bugs me. She is a beautiful subject but this is not as flattering as I expected it to be. I like everything else, colors are great!

Hmm... she has been hitting the weights with me lately and I've been training her pretty hard. I wonder if its because she has her arms pressed against her side so they look more full?
    divamum wrote: »
    It's fierce! If that's the mood she wants, then great- you nailed it. If she wants a more approachable professional image, then you may need a different expression. If you are genuinely considering using it for casting, then this would definitely have that lawyer/policewoman vibe (at least that's how it reads to me).

I agree with Trudy, too, that it does make her arms look bigger than they are. Also, I think you could have afforded a higher angle for this one - looks like you were shooting slighty from below.

Btw, all comments above made above and beyond the obvious points that she's gorgeous, your lighting is fab, and you know what you're doing!!

Thanks Diva. It's exactly the feel I got from the shot. A woman in a role of authority like an lawyer or cop. This was just another shot in our 365 project. No intention of using it for casting. My wife has no intentions of becoming an actress. Laughing.gif. I did shoot it from a lower angle. I thought it would add to the authoritative feel. Again, just messing around with ideas and practicing in case I ever do more headshots for actors.

Here is one more shot from the same set as above (very different) and two from today.

Same set:

DSC_9905-Edit-X2.jpg

Today:

DSC_9957-Edit-X2.jpg

DSC_9967-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2013
    the 1st one is not a head shot I think :) the last one is :)
    anyway - great pictures - well done bro !
    edited February 27, 2013
    coolpinsky wrote: »
    the 1st one is not a head shot I think :) the last one is :)
    anyway - great pictures - well done bro !

Yes. The 1st on in the second batch is definitely not a headshot. And I also like the last one too. I like her smile in it.

I'm getting much more comfortable with the lights. Can almost nail setups now in the first try. Although, I found that I really love the 3-light setup I've been using the most. I'm following Chuck's advice that was two find one or two setups that I like and master them.

My Smug Site
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2013
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2013
    zoomer wrote: »
    The last one looks perfect for a business shot.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2013
    That last one is excellent. I would leave a tiny bit more headroom. I just don't care for the top of her head right at the edge of the crop.
  • RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2013
    Save those few hairs at the top of her head and you've got a great corporate shot there.
  • michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2013
    I like the "edgy" feel of the first shot, but I feel like it might be a little too much for something meant to be business oriented. However, the last shot you posted is the winner in my book. You get a sense of business and personality from the subject. Great job :)

As a little side note, I've really noticed your work transform over the past couple of months. Your lighting is more consistent and you are really nailing poses quite well. Keep up the awesome work!
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2013
    Stupid LinkedIn required a 1:1 aspect photo (you get no choice), so you need to think a little differently about composition when you shoot a headshot for them. It's often tough to crop a 2:3 headshot to square if you don't shoot it pretty wide to begin with.
    edited February 28, 2013
    zoomer wrote: »
    The last one looks perfect for a business shot.
    divamum wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Mitchell wrote: »
    That last one is excellent. I would leave a tiny bit more headroom. I just don't care for the top of her head right at the edge of the crop.
    Ridgetop wrote: »
    Save those few hairs at the top of her head and you've got a great corporate shot there.

Thanks guys. She's going with the last one for her profile on her profile on our intranet corporate site.
    I like the "edgy" feel of the first shot, but I feel like it might be a little too much for something meant to be business oriented. However, the last shot you posted is the winner in my book. You get a sense of business and personality from the subject. Great job :)

As a little side note, I've really noticed your work transform over the past couple of months. Your lighting is more consistent and you are really nailing poses quite well. Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks man. Yeah... this project has really helped my hone in my skills. Nothing like practicing everyday.

And yes... I like the edginess of the fist pick. I had to take my "photographer goggles" off to realize it really isn't appropriate for a corporate headshot. I think its a cool photo though.
    Gotham wrote: »
    Stupid LinkedIn required a 1:1 aspect photo (you get no choice), so you need to think a little differently about composition when you shoot a headshot for them. It's often tough to crop a 2:3 headshot to square if you don't shoot it pretty wide to begin with.

Good to know. Will have to take one with the square ratio in mind.

My Smug Site