Options

The American West - Timothy O'Sullivan

ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
edited March 28, 2013 in The Big Picture
Photographer Timothy O'Sullivan was one of the first photographers to capture scenes of the West. The Daily Mail published these photographs of places like Shoshone Falls, Pyramid Lake in Nevada, Canyon de Chelly, and many more. The Tucson Weekly carried a story on his life as well.

It's amazing to see photographs taken in the 19th century of places I've been in my lifetime. O'Sullivan had to bring his lab with him. There's a photograph in the story of a wagon and four mules. Imagine traveling the distances he did with all of that equipment-if you carried much more than a backpack today, you'd still be carrying more than he did.
Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?

Comments

• Options
    cgmcdonaldcgmcdonald Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2013
    Great images in The Daily Mail. I love learning from the masters of the past.
    My Site: www.cgmphoto.us
  • Options
    superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2013
    Awe inspiring. I took the liberty of googling many of the places in the images and it's shocking how much they have been changed by man. i obviously didn't expect pristine untouched preservation but wow..
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited March 28, 2013
    In my own community, known predominantly for it's agricultural history and for the birthplace of Silicon Valley, it's amazing to see how the place has changed over the years. There are very few remnants of the past here. In the cities, a few acres of "heritage" farms remain and a giant water tank that once was a part of the Libby's cannery. Never mind the massive influx of people.

And this is history from the last 50 years.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?