Soccer shots

spurs73spursspurs73spurs Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited March 25, 2013 in Sports
Local soccer started here in Adelaide this past weekend and I thought I would share a few of my shots. Any critique would be nice as I am always looking to learn more and improve.

Cheers
8510147804_db7e3391d5_o.jpg

8509038827_1da867aa78_o.jpg

8510148096_4fe9601a0c_o.jpg

8510147934_f4d8c5159d_o.jpg

:D

Comments

• perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2013
    Shots are nice, but backgrounds are killing you. Shoot wide open (F2.8 if possible but looks like you are on a 100-400), and shoot from the ends of the field if you can to maximize the distance between you and the off-field distractions.

Everything is sharp, action is good, colors are excellent.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2013
    These are great captures and would go nicely with a photojournalistic write-up of the game. They tell a good story. None of them are particularly flattering to any one player, so I don't think the players will be buying them for the purposes of a "sportrait". I respectfully disagree with perroneford, all of them except 2 look overexposed to me. The colors are washed out as a result. I see you were shooting manual (good!) so I'd recommend exposing for the faces, and "set it and forget it". On a bright sunny day like this, I find the Sunny-16 rule plus 1/2 to 1 stop usually works well.

5D3_4906-XL.jpg

As for the backgrounds, if you want any more blur than what the 100-400 can do, you're going to have to spend some money. The 70-200/2.8 is the bare minimum, and beyond that it gets really crazy.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2013
    Looks like this is your first post here so welcome! Backgrounds are so hard to deal with as sometimes you don't have any good options but think back, was there a better place to shoot? Often times it is from the end of the field. I agree with jmphotocraft on the exposures being a tad hot. Again welcome to the Sports forum and look forward to more posts from you.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • spurs73spursspurs73spurs Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2013
    Thank you all for your feedback, I do appreciate it.

perroneford, you are correct with the 100-400mm lens. Unfortunately that is all I can afford at the minute. I would like the 70-200/2.8, but ultimately I would like to purchase the 300 2.8 or if I win lotto, maybe the 400 2.8.

jmphotocraft, I do agree ith your comments about the colour. Where I live the sun can be quite harsh at times. I know that may sound a bit stupid, but there are days when the sun is so bright it just bounces off of everything. I am not sure what you mean about them not being flattering for the player as each player has different expressions when concentrating and focusing on the ball during the game. I know the backgrounds kill the images, but this is only semi professional soccer and the grounds are very much suburban grounds. I love the image you posted and would love to have the same sort of depth of field as you have in this image, however, as I mentioned above, Money is a big issue. I have looked at better lenses, but considering I do not do this for a living, that sort of money could be better used elsewhere at the minute.

Mike J, I think this is my first post on here. I joined a few months ago, and have just really been reading other posts. I rarely post my own images, as I get a bit nervous about sharing. This time I guess I just built up enough courage.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2013
    jmphotocraft, I do agree ith your comments about the colour. Where I live the sun can be quite harsh at times. I know that may sound a bit stupid, but there are days when the sun is so bright it just bounces off of everything.

The photo I posted was taken in bright mid-day unobstructed sun. Same as your sun.
    I am not sure what you mean about them not being flattering for the player as each player has different expressions when concentrating and focusing on the ball during the game.

I just mean that none of the images make any one particular player look like a superstar. Otherwise they're great journalistic captures.

Here's a shot I took last fall that I think makes the kid look like a superstar:
    http://jmphotocraft.smugmug.com/Sports/2012/Sanford-Tournament-2012/i-kRNTTwh/1/X2/5D3_6714-X2.jpg
    I know the backgrounds kill the images, but this is only semi professional soccer and the grounds are very much suburban grounds. I love the image you posted and would love to have the same sort of depth of field as you have in this image, however, as I mentioned above, Money is a big issue. I have looked at better lenses, but considering I do not do this for a living, that sort of money could be better used elsewhere at the minute.

I totally understand, this is a ridiculously expensive hobby. I only have a good kit because I make it pay for itself. But if you sold that 100-400 you'd be halfway to a 70-200/2.8II. And maybe you could find a used one, or a used Mark 1 version. You'd just have to wait for the action to come closer. Plus it's a much more useful lens for general purposes.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    I agree with others that the backgrounds are killing your shots, though there may not be much you could have done. With a 100-400mm lens you can get a lot of the field, even from the endline. I might suggest shooting from the end and keeping the shots to the closer half. In addition to (usually) less distracting backgrounds, the closer your subject the more distant and blurred the background will be. And if you're shooting on a turf field on a hot day, no amount of killer glass will get you a decent image from anything further than the near third because of the heat waves.

On the exposure issue, many of the shots seem over-exposed to my eye. Although I agree that exposing the faces correctly is critical, I find I get better results if I make sure that none of the highlights are totally blown and then bring up the half- and quarter-tones in the post. This gives more natural colours and gradations, without the horrible look of blown white uniforms. YMMV.