Sweepers

toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
edited March 3, 2013 in Street and Documentary
An ordinary picture of an ordinary guy.

If he worked for the City of New York, he would be in a union with decent pay, security, good vacation & sick leave.

RAG_9823.NEF-XL.jpg

However, he works in Delhi, India. He is an untouchable of a caste system alive and well in India.

He is born into it and has no upward economic mobility. His jobs, limited by the society to clean and do menial tasks. He can run a crematorium and become economically middle class, but will always be discriminated against; as in not being able to eat where he wants and some not willing to use dishware he has used.

Sound familiar?

Personally, I associate with them, since I picked up garbage for the Parks Department as a kid. Here are some more (all untouchables).
RAG_1686.NEF-XL.jpg
RAG_9843.NEF-XL.jpg
Rags

Comments

• MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2013
    No. 2 really draws me in. I love lines, and they are prominent, so that may have a little to do with it. The subject is looking right at you, and that interests me as well.
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2013
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    No. 2 really draws me in. I love lines, and they are prominent, so that may have a little to do with it. The subject is looking right at you, and that interests me as well.

I agree that #2 is a very well composed, effective image.... technically spot on in so many ways. That said, there's just something about the light and contextual atmosphere of #1 that keeps me looking.
    clap.gif for all of them!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 3, 2013
    Another interesting series of a different life.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2013
    Very nice work, Rags. thumb.gif

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2013
    Very nice work, Rags. thumb.gif

Tom

Yes indeed.
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2013
    Thanks for all the kind comments, they're much appreciated
    Rags