Practice - Making due with what I have

PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
edited March 3, 2013 in People
Okay, so I am doing some photos of a friends 5 month old. More for myself actually. I asked if they would be willing to come over so I could borrow their latest progeny. They said sure. I figured I should have some idea of what I would be working with and play with some light setups. This has a shot through at 45x45 across the front camer right, a speed light with an 8" softbox behind camera left for kicker/hair light. I also had a large reflector on the ground camera left for fill. I haven't quite decided if the light is too flat or not. Some of my models don't lend to well to testing lighting.

Anyway... This is what I came up with on my first go. I have a few other ideas to play with before the actual shoot. I would love to hear what your thoughts are. I did texture these to help make the background more interesting (is it too much?). The vertical ridges are part of the background, not the texture. I don't have the space to really pull the subject forward away from it.
#1: 1/200 @ ƒ/2.2; ISO 100; 50 mm
8523753540_45622685d1_c.jpg
Monkey Baby by phil41dean, on Flickr

#2: 1/200 @ ƒ/2.8 ISO 100; 50 mm
8522640159_3706bbf672_c.jpg
Pooh Bear by phil41dean, on Flickr

#3: 1/200@ ƒ/2.5; ISO 100; 50 mm
8522639783_ee9b893f6b_c.jpg
Molly Doll 1 by phil41dean, on Flickr

#4: 1/200@ ƒ/2.5; ISO 100; 50 mm
8522639973_91b544da7d_c.jpg
Molly Doll 2 by phil41dean, on Flickr
-~= Philip =~-
Go Shoot Something Already! - Flickr Photostream
Have you performed a few Random Acts of Parenting today? :)

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2013
    Phil,

I don't shoot babies but I think the light is quite good. I think your light ratios are nice for shooting a baby. I would do anything too dramatic. Looks like about 2:1 which I would say is about right for the subject matter. Backdrop does not bother me. Actually, I quite like it. It's plain enough to not be too distracting but the texture adds just a touch of interest. I think the vignettes you setup with the two dolls is tasteful. I've seen a lot of these little vignettes be way too cluttered. The photo should be about the baby and the vignette should just add a bit of context. I think your setups do that.

OH... and your technicals are awesome. Exposure looks spot on and they're tack sharp. Good job man. Now lets just see if you can replicate this with the baby!!! Can't wait to see those photos.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2013
    Thank you Alex, that means a lot coming from you. I spent quite a bit of time trying to decide what worked and what didn't. I wasn't sure on the lighting. I knew it was slightly less than the typical 3:1 but the kids pictures I really like always seem to be. I also don't have room to move my reflector back any further. I am still not sure my kicker doesn't flood too much, but I like having the light on the background to lighten it up. There are just so many ways to go. Anyway... I realize this shoot is something I asked for and is strictly for my education, but I am really hoping it turns out well. You can be sure that the results will be up here for critique.
    -~= Philip =~-
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2013
    With the exception of that white blanket with George, I don't think I'd change a thing Phil. Looks perfect to me.
  • PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2013
    Thanks Bryce, again, from someone of your capability I appreciate the input. Fortunately my friend will be bringing little Nolan's blanket with him. I think his is blue, as is most everything he has. :-)
    -~= Philip =~-