Options

Thinking about the "freshness" rule

billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
edited March 4, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
Posting a new thread inspired by some earlier posts in the "DSS Challenge #123 Abstract Photography" thread. Just musing on the spirit or intent of EXIF timeline requirements here:

IMHO & FWIW: The DSS Challenges are intended to present participants with a topic or challenge subject that requires a photo to be taken or created in response to knowledge of the topic. The freshness rule basically attempts to assure the entries represent that expectation. The start date of the challenge is set to coincide with the announcement of the topic.

So... let's say I'm out and about shooting scenes for my own interest. I come back and check the Challenge topic only to find that a new topic has been posted that fits photos I've just taken. The photos fit the posted timeline, and by strict interpretation, the shots would qualify... but the spirt of creating an image in response to a topic is lost.

I'd suggest that the best answer to any question about "does this shot qualify for the challenge timeline?" should be answered first by asking "did I take this shot because I was looking to respond to a topic I already knew about?" In a case of having already taken a photo that happens to fit a theme you learned about later, the answer should be clear - whether the photo's EXIF qualifies it or not.

A harder question (and one we've seen here several times, I think) is "Does this photo qualify? It is legitimately taken in response to the topic within the timeline but I can't prove it because, I just got a new camera and forgot to set the clock?" The moderators have been consistent in not allowing these entries.

Interesting that in both cases, the intellectually honest approach leads to not allowing the photo. In the former case, the shooter acknowledges that it wasn't "responsive." In the latter case, the moderator's maintain consistent practice even though the photo may be a legitimate (but unverifiable) response to the topic.

One of the beauties of the DSS Challenges is that no matter what the dilemma about entering, there's never more than two weeks before it's time to do it again.
Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug

Comments

• Options
    ShootingStarShootingStar Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2013
    That is what I like about the DSS challenges, that you get a topic and work on your shot. It is the first time I am entering but some of the previous ones have made me learn some new things (when the topic is not too technical, because it is not my thing).
    For the review of our old shots we have the other challenges which are great too. And they are sometimes repetitive so you get to enter your shot anyway, you just need to be patient. Look at light painting which was a DSS challenge and later a mini challenge.
    Nature can be so different around the world but it is always amazing!

Travel Blog English: http://www.zigzagonearth.com
    Travel Blog French: http://zigzagvoyages.fr
    Infoproduct Creation Blog : https://structurinfo.com
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2013
    In either case of "if I meant to or not" does not matter... Most of the time the only reason I go out and shoot a topic was because the topic was announced and I have an idea in my mind's eye.
    I've gone out shooting and have used the image that fit the theme, and at times I have gone out to shoot a topic only come back with something entirely different from my mind's eye...

Eitherway it's rare that my original idea is what ultimately is entered...

I guess what I'm say'n is that if I happen to be out shooting only to come back with something that fits the theme is basically the same as if I went out trying to match the theme only to have found something different than my original intent... I never know what I'm coming home with !....rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2013
    btw, Escondido is where I spent many of my childhood summers.... (needless to say I've had many stitches from that hospital there...)
    Aaron Nelson