A Few From The Beach

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited March 6, 2013 in People
I found myself at a NAS in Florida for a few days. Being as I never have an opportunity to do beach pictures, I thought I'd give it a shot. Did some pro bono stuff of a few service members and their families while I was there.

Honest critique entirely welcome! Keep in mind I was limited to the equipment carried in a small carry on sized pelican case.

This was a very nice couple I met. Worked out great as they just were engaged to be married.

webBWB_6332-L.jpg

Met two couples with 4 month old children. I liked this pose so much with the first couple, I repeated it with the second.

webBWB_6502web-L.jpg

webBWB_6497-L.jpg

Opinions on this treatment for beach work please!!!

Trim-200web-L.jpg

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2013
    These are great, Bryce! Love seeing you do some outdoor stuff. Lovely shots.

Only nit is the lighthouse in the first one. Took me a few seconds to parse what it was, and it does look a bit, um, suggestive even when you DO know what it is................ rolleyes1.gif
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    These are great, Bryce! Love seeing you do some outdoor stuff. Lovely shots.

Only nit is the lighthouse in the first one. Took me a few seconds to parse what it was, and it does look a bit, um, suggestive even when you DO know what it is................ rolleyes1.gif

I'm going through my "Fellini Phase"!rolleyes1.gif

And...

after all, he is shipping out soon!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2013
    Bryce, these are quite nice. I do this frequently and yet you nailed it on your first effort. My only thought is that #1 needs a bit more fill.

Diva, get your mind out of the gutter!!!
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2013
    Gorgeous stuff Bryce and, always being contrary, I like the lighthouse.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • VagebondVagebond Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited March 4, 2013
    I don't know, but in the last edit, I see the flash and am waiting for the searing heat of the shock wave to vapourise them to the bone. The black vignette is part of it, my imagination another part, but the image is hard to my eye, the lighting suggesting impending doom rather than a happy loving family. But that could just be me, I read On the Beach when I was much too young.
    I do like the others and would be very surprised if the subjects didn't.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2013
    Nice stuff Bryce.

Beach session suck balls. Don't get me wrong, they make great backdrops and the lighting is always so awesome because of the fill from the sand, but the wind and the beach goers always makes it a pain.

You did a great job. I like the original edit. Don't like the other processing you tried but don't take my work on it. I tend to not like any processing that alters colors. Call me a purist.

Oh... and I also like the light house. I do agree with Diva that it is slightly suggestive but that's kind of why I like it. Laughing.gif
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited March 4, 2013
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Bryce, these are quite nice. I do this frequently and yet you nailed it on your first effort. My only thought is that #1 needs a bit more fill.

Diva, get your mind out of the gutter!!!

Thanks Mitchell. It was a great learning experience.
    Bilsen wrote: »
    Gorgeous stuff Bryce and, always being contrary, I like the lighthouse.
    That lighthouse does have a fair amount of historical significance. Knowing that and the fact that it identifies the beach to those that have been there, I kinda like it too. I will admit, that I didn't notice the shapes of the trees at the base that may make it a bit more suggestive than it otherwise might be.
    Vagebond wrote: »
    I don't know, but in the last edit, I see the flash and am waiting for the searing heat of the shock wave to vapourise them to the bone. The black vignette is part of it, my imagination another part, but the image is hard to my eye, the lighting suggesting impending doom rather than a happy loving family. But that could just be me, I read On the Beach when I was much too young.
    I do like the others and would be very surprised if the subjects didn't.
    I do see what you are saying regarding the processing. Thanks for weighing in.
    Nice stuff Bryce.

Beach session suck balls. Don't get me wrong, they make great backdrops and the lighting is always so awesome because of the fill from the sand, but the wind and the beach goers always makes it a pain.

You did a great job. I like the original edit. Don't like the other processing you tried but don't take my work on it. I tend to not like any processing that alters colors. Call me a purist.

Oh... and I also like the light house. I do agree with Diva that it is slightly suggestive but that's kind of why I like it. Laughing.gif

Thanks Cuban.

Biggest pain for me, not used to shooting in open sun, was being at the mercy of the sun. Couldn't always get the background I liked because of light direction on the subjects. One speedlight wasn't going to compete with bright beach sun. The first image was taken around 11:30 AM. With the wind, a Voice Activated Light Stand was essential.

Thanks for the opinion on the processing.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2013
    I like the set overall. I will go against the grain and say I like the processing in the last one. Of course, I'm a fan of that type of processing.
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2013
    can you share the workflow on the last edit? I really like it.

And I also like the lighthouse. I think it adds the idea of "we will stay together and strong, just like the this lighthouse stayed strong and bound to the piece of land" type thing. While in USA this may not mean much, in some older cultures this would be a sign of a strong family and spirit.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2013
    nice shots
    edited March 5, 2013
    jonh68 wrote: »
    I like the set overall. I will go against the grain and say I like the processing in the last one. Of course, I'm a fan of that type of processing.

Thanks Jon! Me, I'm on the fence still with it.
    Foques wrote: »
    can you share the workflow on the last edit? I really like it.

Workflow? Hahahahaha rolleyes1.gif I HATE doing anything where workflow is involved after the shot is taken. :D This is one click of a button. Diva turned me on to a site with LightRoom Presets. This one is Trim by Sarah. It's under number 12 Night presets

http://visionwidget.com/fresh-free-adobe-lightroom-presets.html
    coolpinsky wrote: »
    nice shots

Thank-you lad!
    edited March 5, 2013
    much obliged :D
    My Site
    My Facebook
    edited March 5, 2013
    Foques wrote: »
    much obliged :D

On second thought, it might be Driftwood...

Well, anyway, it's one or the other.
  • Aleksandar VasicAleksandar Vasic Registered Users Posts: 334 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2013
    Sweetly :)
    edited March 6, 2013
    On second thought, it might be Driftwood...

Well, anyway, it's one or the other.
    either way, you now have me exploring the site, all the presets and lightroom. :D
    a lot of good stuff to learn there.
    My Site
    My Facebook