Options

DSS #124 The Art of Food

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited March 19, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
Welcome to Round #124 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges.

This challenge is for all dgrin members.

It will run from Monday, March 4, 2013 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, March 18, 2013 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

The theme this round for your interpretation will be: The Art of Food

Not looking for just your ordinary "here's whats for dinner" type of shot. Rather, be creative with your food!

Make your set up be colorful and unique! The food should look appetizing as well as like a piece of art that you would hang on the wall! Lighting, backgrounds, plates, patterns, shapes....all should be taken into account. Make it look professional! Even a point and shoot camera can accomplish this if you experiment a little with lighting and positioning and all the other things mentioned above!

Create a work of art with your photography!

Here are some examples:
1. 2. 3. 4.

No editing restrictions!

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page:

DSS 124 Gallery

Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge RULES.

Comments

• Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2013
    We are gonna be HUNGRY by the end of this one!
  • Options
    CambysesCambyses Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2013
    This one will test not just our photography skills, but our cooking and food styling skills too! I'm afraid we have to visit a fancy restaurant with all our equipment (mini backdrop, reflector, etc.), order a very nice entrée, and take pictures. It may look a bit awkward to the other customers, and it will probably cost us a lot more than the prize we may actually win :D
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2013
    Cambyses wrote: »
    This one will test not just our photography skills, but our cooking and food styling skills too! I'm afraid we have to visit a fancy restaurant with all our equipment (mini backdrop, reflector, etc.), order a very nice entrée, and take pictures. It may look a bit awkward to the other customers, and it will probably cost us a lot more than the prize we may actually win :D

Check out the examples links or do a search on food art, its doesn't have to be expensive to be creative!
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2013
    I absolutely love the concept and rendition of #2! WOW! thumb.gif:D

I'll likely not take part in this one.

But look forward to other's entries.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2013
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    I absolutely love the concept and rendition of #2! WOW! thumb.gif:D

I'll likely not take part in this one.

But look forward to other's entries.

Don

Actually #2 impresses me for the hand crafting skills of whoever made that piece of art from vegetables.
    However in terms of photography, to me it looks like just a simple point and shoot - nothing special...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2013
    travelways wrote: »
    Actually #2 impresses me for the hand crafting skills of whoever made that piece of art from vegetables.
    However in terms of photography, to me it looks like just a simple point and shoot - nothing special...
    Exactly. Not impressed with the photography, but the art of the vegetable image!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2013
    Cambyses wrote: »

work the angle! have the owner set you up in the office, bring you plate after plate of what they want photographed for their adverts and you eat each one as you go.... bring the family to help with the lighting and food eating...lol
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2013
    travelways wrote: »

phhht! simple point and shooters! achh! get them from thou ist sight!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2013
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Exactly. Not impressed with the photography, but the art of the vegetable image!

Don
    Indeed! I posted it not for the lousy p&s quality, but to give people possibility ideas!9496500-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2013
    I suggest stop posting examples... heck this is the second time now my initial thought in my minds eye of the stated theme was only to be squashed by an example posted....(pizza image) and btw, I will enter with a P&S just as I usually do:D.... dslr snobbies:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2013
    Tango wrote: »
    I suggest stop posting examples... heck this is the second time now my initial thought in my minds eye of the stated theme was only to be squashed by an example posted....(pizza image) and btw, I will enter with a P&S just as I usually do:D.... dslr snobbies:D

The samples are just that. If you had an idea of doing a pizza then do it!
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2013
    JAG wrote: »
    The samples are just that. If you had an idea of doing a pizza then do it!

lol, no way! the example is better than I could do it! :D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    MemolMemol Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2013
    This time it would be difficult. My foods are mostly ugly. Several times I tried to decorate my son's breakfast plate so he eats better, but he did not care at all and as he loves fruit he only picked the fruits. After that I did not try anymore. I have to be creative a little bit for this round headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2013
    are you all stumped on this one????! :D
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2013
    I have my minds eye.... execution is the problem...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2013
    are you all stumped on this one????! :D

I've worked on a few... have a few more ideas that I'm going to work on this weekend. I've pulled together lots of inspiration photos ... so lots of ideas going through my head.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,952 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2013
    Originally I was going to do a recreation of my grandson's picture and use a cabbage head overlaid with rare roast beef with slices of cucumber for glasses, and raspberries with blueberries in the middle for eyes. But my husband (who does the cooking and shopping) used up the roast beef tonight. I thought maybe tomatoes for the mouth (side for lips and seeds for teeth to give him an uncharacteristic smile) and a carrot chunk for the nose and probably broccoli for the hair and beard and maybe a mutton chop mustache.

He's relatively more cleanshaven here - he usually looks like some kind of mountain man and has so much face hair that you can't tell if he is smiling or not

mike2008-08-02__W219.jpg

I can visualize what I want to do, but actually going to the kitchen and standing there (there are no chairs in the kitchen) long enough to craft the head, is probably beyond my capability.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2013
    I imagine making a cabbage & roast into a head of your grandson would be a challenge.... here I thought I was being creative making a cup of coffee look steamy....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    MemolMemol Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2013
    I have about 7 ideas, but 1. I don't have time to make them. 2. If I make them my son will take them before I get a chance to take a picture, 3. The good camera is in the repair shop, 4. I have some of the ingredients and by the time I go and shop the rest either we have eaten the first ingredients or they will get old ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2013
    I imagine making a cabbage & roast into a head of your grandson would be a challenge.... here I thought I was being creative making a cup of coffee look steamy....

Think toothpicks
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2013
    so you're going for the "hellraiser" look?
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2013
    I went to a Chinese buffet today - by accident. I had a package to mail and non-glare glasses to pick up for my husband and I thought we could go out to dinner. But the place I had a coupon for didn't have dinner hours on Weds. So we went down the road a piece and saw the New York Buffet, which for some reason I thought would be pizza. But it wasn't - it was Chinese. So when I picked up my food, I rearranged it on the plate and took a photo. I thought it looked a little like the Natty Boh logo which was for National Bohemian Beer. But I didn't have but one olive and nothing big enough for the monocle. So it is only like the logo if you squint and use a lot of imagination.

3558064.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2013
    so you're going for the "hellraiser" look?

It wouldn't be inappropriate. I don't know if he's got piercings but he has a bunch of tattoos
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2013
    grandmaR wrote: »
    I went to a Chinese buffet today - by accident. I had a package to mail and non-glare glasses to pick up for my husband and I thought we could go out to dinner. But the place I had a coupon for didn't have dinner hours on Weds. So we went down the road a piece and saw the New York Buffet, which for some reason I thought would be pizza. But it wasn't - it was Chinese. So when I picked up my food, I rearranged it on the plate and took a photo. I thought it looked a little like the Natty Boh logo which was for National Bohemian Beer. But I didn't have but one olive and nothing big enough for the monocle. So it is only like the logo if you squint and use a lot of imagination

thumb.gif now that's being creative on the move!
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2013
    Wow! Only 11 entries so far and just about 36 hours left! This cannot be so difficult! Here is one I took with my cell phone. Not super Sharp but was easy to do! I call this piece of work "Coronary on a Plate" . And before anyone gets all excited, the border and distressed edges would not be allowed in this challenge. I didn't take the pic for the challenge. I took it to show just how good my meal of the day was that day! That's a 1 pound potato! Parmesan and garlic encrusted goodness with home made 4 cheese sauce and sprinkled with crushed French fried onion rings and Bacon bits....hhmmm!

IMAG1187_20130305190626718-XL.jpg
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2013
    ..... I didn't take the pic for the challenge. I took it to show just how good my meal of the day was that day! That's a 1 pound potato! Parmesan and garlic encrusted goodness with home made 4 cheese sauce and sprinkled with crushed French fried onion rings and Bacon bits....hhmmm!

I don't care that you're not entering - you win anyway!! :D
    I won't be able to think about anything but this potato, for the rest of the day! iloveyou.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2013
    I thought you said we were to play with our food - not just take a photo of what we had for dinner. I take photos of almost all the food we eat (when we aren't at home). If I thought I could just use a photo of food, I'd have gone someplace and taken a photo of food. When I'm on a cruise I take photos of almost all the food. Like IMG_5342.JPG

IMG_5348.JPG

IMG_5364.JPG

IMG_5369.JPG

One day on a cruise ship

But that's not playing with the food or the photo.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2013
    GrandmaR, playing with the food or doing a setup shot is what is expected. The potato is more of a what I had to eat type shot, however I did consider my background and lighting before the shoot, including the fork and knife. Had to consider the lighting carefully because my phone camera really sucks when it comes to flash!
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2013
    Well I guess I don't understand the difference.
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,276 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2013
    Wow! Only 11 entries so far and just about 36 hours left! This cannot be so difficult! Here is one I took with my cell phone. Not super Sharp but was easy to do! I call this piece of work "Coronary on a Plate" . And before anyone gets all excited, the border and distressed edges would not be allowed in this challenge. I didn't take the pic for the challenge. I took it to show just how good my meal of the day was that day! That's a 1 pound potato! Parmesan and garlic encrusted goodness with home made 4 cheese sauce and sprinkled with crushed French fried onion rings and Bacon bits....hhmmm!

IMAG1187_20130305190626718-XL.jpg

Oh, my....I want that!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain