Motocross Racing

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited March 5, 2013 in Sports
Following my recent thread on settings advice for taking motocross shots. This was my first attempt and I have posted five shots to see what you think and any advice to improve would be more than welcome.
Cheers
Bob
03.03.2013266-X3.jpg
03.03.2013267-X3.jpg
03.03.2013286-X3.jpg
03.038-X3.jpg
03.0316-X3.jpg

Comments

• ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2013
    Good first attempt! You got out and went for it. What strategy did you end up going with?

Ok you asked

All shots a bit underexposed lacking any pop.

Portrait orientation or slightly more angle right or left so biker and rider fill more frame.

Same as 1

Straight up butt shot. Makes jump look smaller shows no good action. No room ahead of rider to imply direction and motion.

Lead rider out of focus. Always weird. And always bugs me. But I keep these as sometimes the guy behind might buy that shot.

Again butt shot with more space behind. But this time more action. I would have gotten ahead of this jump and shot up toward them. In general. I like to see eyeballs and see numberplates.
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2013
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Good first attempt! You got out and went for it. What strategy did you end up going with?

Ok you asked

All shots a bit underexposed lacking any pop.

Portrait orientation or slightly more angle right or left so biker and rider fill more frame.

Same as 1

Straight up butt shot. Makes jump look smaller shows no good action. No room ahead of rider to imply direction and motion.

Lead rider out of focus. Always weird. And always bugs me. But I keep these as sometimes the guy behind might buy that shot.

Again butt shot with more space behind. But this time more action. I would have gotten ahead of this jump and shot up toward them. In general. I like to see eyeballs and see numberplates.
    Thanks Zerodog I reaaly appreciate your remarks. I went for TV mode, shutter speed 1/800 resulting in Aperture F.4 or thereabouts. ISO at 400 I am unable to go any lower with the ISO because this is 70 -200 F4 L lens. and it was a dull day.
    Cheers
    Bob
    edited March 5, 2013
    Even though these could have been shot a bit brighter doesn't mean you can't help these in post. Try pumping up a few thing and see what you get.
    edited March 5, 2013
    I would put money on you using evaluative metering for these shots too.
    edited March 6, 2013
    Even though these could have been shot a bit brighter doesn't mean you can't help these in post. Try pumping up a few thing and see what you get.

Thanks once again I will certainly do this. Very much appreciated.
    Bob
    edited March 12, 2013
    I would put money on you using evaluative metering for these shots too.

Yes I was using Evaluative Metering. Should I have been using something else. In actual fact I use Evaluative Metering all the time unlise I have a white back ground and I will change to Spot Metering.
    Bob