Options

Safari

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited April 15, 2013 in Wildlife
Hi Y'all,

Arrived home last week from two weeks in Kenya. It was a fantastic trip led by Andy Williams and Marc Muench. I started processing once I recovered from the 20+ hours in coach on my return trips. If I die and go to hell it will be a cake walk after 20 hours in coach.

Here are a few of first processed captures.

D800E with the 70-200 2.8
800_9220bw-XL.jpg

D4 with the 200-400 f/4 + 1.4 TC
D4D_0976bw-XL.jpg

two young giraffes working on their jousting techniques
D4 with the 200-400 f/4 and the 1.4 TC
D4D_1063-XL.jpg

Cheetah doing her tree dismount
800_9492-XL.jpg

Lions don't like water
D4 and the 200-400 +1.4 TC
D4D_1638-XL.jpg

Leopard capture taken in rather dim light at ISO 8000 with the D4 and the 200-400
D4D_1766-XL.jpg

I love Africa. I'll be going back in January to Tanzania.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2013
    Wow, Harry, these are some of your best. I hope there are a lot more coming. The B&W sure accentuates the elephants wrinkles. And I've never seen a giraffe shot like that--great timing and I love the symmetry of the pose. Ditto on the timing of the cheetah dismount--great action shot. The details and color in the lion shot are striking. It looks like you could reach out and pull the whiskers on the Leopard shot--and I love those eyes. Really, a great series, though I hope you never have to spend 20 hours in coach ever ever again! Best, Pam
  • Options
    canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2013
    PGM wrote: »
    Wow, Harry, these are some of your best. I hope there are a lot more coming. The B&W sure accentuates the elephants wrinkles. And I've never seen a giraffe shot like that--great timing and I love the symmetry of the pose. Ditto on the timing of the cheetah dismount--great action shot. The details and color in the lion shot are striking. It looks like you could reach out and pull the whiskers on the Leopard shot--and I love those eyes. Really, a great series, though I hope you never have to spend 20 hours in coach ever ever again! Best, Pam

Hels Bells!!! Harry these are absolutely superb the best I have ever seen. I can only reiterate what has been said in the previous post. A real credit to you. Having seen the result of these must have reduced the pain experienced on your home journey.
    Can't wait to see the rest.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2013

Thanks Pam, Africa is such a great place to shoot that it would be tough not to get good captures.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2013
    Harryb wrote: »
    Thanks Pam, Africa is such a great place to shoot that it would be tough not to get good captures.

First, that's not true--the second half of the sentence, that is. Second, anyone who would ride 20 hours in coach to get great photos (and survive) cannot claim to be either old or lazy. You need a new new tag line. "Head Coach," "Squirrel Patrol," "Have Nikon Will Travel," -- whatever, but "old and lazy" won't do. :D:D:D

Best, Pam
  • Options
    PeterBirdPeterBird Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2013
    Incredibly good shots! The Cheetah jumping from the tree, the leopard at 8000iso, they are all outstanding.
    Regards Peter
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2013
    First, that's not true--the second half of the sentence, that is. Second, anyone who would ride 20 hours in coach to get great photos (and survive) cannot claim to be either old or lazy. You need a new new tag line. "Head Coach," "Squirrel Patrol," "Have Nikon Will Travel," -- whatever, but "old and lazy" won't do. :D:D:D

Best, Pam

As for "old & lazy" - My wife will swear out an affadavit backing up "lazy" and as Casey Stengel once said: " Lot of people my age are dead ". :rutt
    Harry
  • Options
    HMBergerHMBerger Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2013
    I really like the giraffe shot. Have tried many times to capture the power or poetry of their jousting. I have never managed. You have done the latter in this super picture. Compliments!!

The power is of course more easily captured with video: see the amazing footage in Attenborough's recent BBC "Africa" series . One fell like a toppled tree. after being whacked by his opponent. I have tried slow speeds to capture the movement of the necks repeatedly but havent manged to get the atmosphere of the rumble in the jungle.

By the way I felt the superb lion shot may be even better if less sharpening was applied to the body coat (??). Apppears grainy on my screen
  • Options
    superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2013
    When I saw the Cheetah shot I just stopped scrolling for a few minutes. Saying wow just doesn't quite cover it. Holy freaking wow with a cherry on top!!! Just spectacular. some day... dammit. some day...
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2013
    canon400d wrote: »
    Hels Bells!!! Harry these are absolutely superb the best I have ever seen. I can only reiterate what has been said in the previous post. A real credit to you. Having seen the result of these must have reduced the pain experienced on your home journey.
    Can't wait to see the rest.
    Cheers
    Bob

Thanks Bob, as much as I hate the plane rides the trip always makes it worth the aggravation o flying.
    Harry
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2013
    Africa's lucky to have you !

digem all, B&W now your finally learning rolleyes1.gif

and the Cheetah rocks even louder.

Got a hunch these are only the beginning mwink.gif
  • Options
    wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2013
    very impressive shots a fine set
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2013
    PeterBird wrote: »
    Incredibly good shots! The Cheetah jumping from the tree, the leopard at 8000iso, they are all outstanding.
    Regards Peter

Thanks Peter both came out better than i was expecting.
    Harry
  • Options
    Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2013
    Some real beauties Harry.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2013
    HMBerger wrote: »
    I really like the giraffe shot. Have tried many times to capture the power or poetry of their jousting. I have never managed. You have done the latter in this super picture. Compliments!!

The power is of course more easily captured with video: see the amazing footage in Attenborough's recent BBC "Africa" series . One fell like a toppled tree. after being whacked by his opponent. I have tried slow speeds to capture the movement of the necks repeatedly but havent manged to get the atmosphere of the rumble in the jungle.

By the way I felt the superb lion shot may be even better if less sharpening was applied to the body coat (??). Apppears grainy on my screen

Thanks those two giraffes put on a really good show.

Good point on the lion capture. The grain comes from upping the tonal contrast. I liked the affect so I decided a little bit of grain was worth the dramatic impact coming from the tonal contrast. I went back and forth on it though before going with it.
    Harry
  • Options
    ashruggedashrugged Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2013
    Welcome back Harry, I really like your b/w processing on the elephants, keep them comming.
  • Options
    Brian_SBrian_S Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2013
    fantastic shots Harry, love your big cat images, the cheetah dismount is excellent
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2013
    superduckz wrote: »
    When I saw the Cheetah shot I just stopped scrolling for a few minutes. Saying wow just doesn't quite cover it. Holy freaking wow with a cherry on top!!! Just spectacular. some day... dammit. some day...

Thanks, that capture is one of my favorites from the trip. I never thought I would make it to Africa but sometimes dreams come true.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2013
    bfjr wrote: »
    Africa's lucky to have you !

digem all, B&W now your finally learning rolleyes1.gif

and the Cheetah rocks even louder.

Got a hunch these are only the beginning mwink.gif

Thanks Ben and since you are so hot for B&W my next post will be all B&W captures from the trip.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2013
    wave01 wrote: »
    very impressive shots a fine set
    Some real beauties Harry.

Thanks for taking hte time to comment.
    Harry
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2013
    Harryb wrote: »

Cheetah doing her tree dismount
    800_9492-S.jpg

WOWOWOWWOWOWOW I wish I was riding with you on that sighting! clap.gif

I love Africa. I'll be going back in January to Tanzania.

Can't wait to go back to Africa with you again bowdown.gif
  • Options
    Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2013
    Those are awesome Harry. The elephant in black & white, the giraffes, and the leopard are fantastic, but that cheetah take the cake! I'd love to visit Africa someday.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • Options
    cdiver2cdiver2 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2013
    Outstanding....again Harry. I am envious of your photos.
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2013
    ashrugged wrote: »
    Welcome back Harry, I really like your b/w processing on the elephants, keep them comming.

Thanks Robert and my processing is continuing. I should have some new captures up soon.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2013
    Brian_S wrote: »
    fantastic shots Harry, love your big cat images, the cheetah dismount is excellent

Thanks Brian
    Harry
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2013
    ashrugged wrote: »
    Brian_S wrote: »

Thanks for the kind words
    Harry
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2013
    Splendid work Harry! Amazing, just amazing capture, lighting, and composition! clap.gif
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2013
    Someone call 911. I cut myself on these shots. Holy cow!!!
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    WOWOWOWWOWOWOW I wish I was riding with you on that sighting! clap.gif

Can't wait to go back to Africa with you again bowdown.gif

You were probably off getting some better captures. I am so looking forward to our trip to Tanzania next year.
    Harry
  • Options
    cgmcdonaldcgmcdonald Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2013
    Spectacular! thumb.gif
    My Site: www.cgmphoto.us
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2013
    Those are awesome Harry. The elephant in black & white, the giraffes, and the leopard are fantastic, but that cheetah take the cake! I'd love to visit Africa someday.

Kristine

Thanks Kristine for taking the time to comment. If you ever get the chance to visit Africa do not pass it up.
    Harry