Options

Neat Image

gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
edited August 25, 2004 in Finishing School
I downloaded the demo version last night, seems to do a good job in very straightforward way. Not the greatest picture and the dancing is even worse, but here's anexample done on the default settings

Before
7105442-L.jpg

After

7248427-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2004
    That's pretty good. I've been using Noise Ninja, it seems OK. You definitely have to give up sharpness to get rid of noise.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2004
    Charleston Carriage and horse 18mm by ginger
    wxwax wrote:
    That's pretty good. I've been using Noise Ninja, it seems OK. You definitely have to give up sharpness to get rid of noise.
    What do you think about adding a bit of grain?

7266849-L.jpg

I have considered putting this on the Challenge, but I don't think it would make the short list. ETc.

ginger
    Was a bit soft, just in general. I have it in color and blk and white: with and without grain, the grain adds IMO, plus adding a smidgen of sharpness.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 13, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I have Noise Ninja 2.0 but rarely use it. I have played a bit with taking noisy images to the LAB color space and using a Gaussian blur of 4-8 pixels equally in the "a" and "b" color spaces. This is easy and quick and seems to help some. It is courtesy of S Kelby's PS CS for Digital Photographers. The beauty of this is you really don't have to put up with a lot of blur since the lightness channel is not touched - you can even sharpen in the lightness channel while you are there, which is what I usually do.1drink.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 13, 2004
    nice legs rolleyes1.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    nice legs rolleyes1.gif
    The horse or the dancing guy headscratch.gif
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    The horse or the dancing guy headscratch.gif
    gotta be the horse!
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I have Noise Ninja 2.0 but rarely use it. I have played a bit with taking noisy images to the LAB color space and using a Gaussian blur of 4-8 pixels equally in the "a" and "b" color spaces. This is easy and quick and seems to help some. It is courtesy of S Kelby's PS CS for Digital Photographers. The beauty of this is you really don't have to put up with a lot of blur since the lightness channel is not touched - you can even sharpen in the lightness channel while you are there, which is what I usually do.1drink.gif
    Gonna try that trick. Dan mentioned it or something like it during his class, but then there was so much to learn there that I only absorbed about one quarter of it at best.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Gonna try that trick. Dan mentioned it or something like it during his class, but then there was so much to learn there that I only absorbed about one quarter of it at best.
    i haven't figured out how to sharpen only a certain channel, what am I doing wrong? is it a layer thing? do I somehow do a curves adjustment via layers? help!
    Erik

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    i haven't figured out how to sharpen only a certain channel, what am I doing wrong? is it a layer thing? do I somehow do a curves adjustment via layers? help!
    doc,

To run USM (or most any operation for that mater) on a particular channel, you just need to have that channel selected in the Channels palette. For example here I have the blue channel selected:
    7392001-M.jpg
    At this point any operation I do will affect the blue channel.

Also note that the channel palette tells you the shortcut key to get a particular channel: Ctrl + 1 for red, Ctrl + 2 for green, etc...
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    doc,

To run USM (or most any operation for that mater) on a particular channel, you just need to have that channel selected in the Channels palette. For example here I have the blue channel selected
    Also note that the channel palette tells you the shortcut key to get a particular channel: Ctrl + 1 for red, Ctrl + 2 for green, etc...
    Duh.

:thwak

thanks PS challenge master.
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 17, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    What do you think about adding a bit of grain?

Ginger, I'm deeply conflicted about the grain issue. I like the look of big grain film. But I can't get past the ugliness and multi-color aspect of digital camera noise. It's just different, for some reason.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2004
    grain
    wxwax wrote:
    Ginger, I'm deeply conflicted about the grain issue. I like the look of big grain film. But I can't get past the ugliness and multi-color aspect of digital camera noise. It's just different, for some reason.

I'm trying to remember where I read this, but digital noise is different than film grain, and it is not as pleasing. It may be because digital noise is "colored", whereas film grain is not, don't know. I just remember reading it in some magazine about an explanation about why not all pixels are created equal, and why cameras with larger sensors (and hence less noise) are better than cameras with small sensors, given equal pixel counts.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2004
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'm trying to remember where I read this, but digital noise is different than film grain, and it is not as pleasing. It may be because digital noise is "colored", whereas film grain is not, don't know. I just remember reading it in some magazine about an explanation about why not all pixels are created equal, and why cameras with larger sensors (and hence less noise) are better than cameras with small sensors, given equal pixel counts.

Makes sense to me. Something about it just isn't as nice to look at as grainy film.
    Sid.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    Neat Image...
    ...does way better!ne_nau.gif Practice a little and read the help! Neat Image will make this a good photo. :D
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    ...does way better!ne_nau.gif Practice a little and read the help! Neat Image will make this a good photo. :D

Are you saying Neat Image is better than Noise Ninja, based on your work with both programs?
    Sid.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    No!
    wxwax wrote:
    Are you saying Neat Image is better than Noise Ninja, based on your work with both programs?
    I was replying to the original post. That NI edited photo is not typical of what can be done with proper use. NN is a fine program. NI was my first choice and the differance, to me , isn't worth further expense. headscratch.gif:D
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2004
    Thanks, I have Ninja, never tried Neat, was curious about the difference.
    Sid.