How to make this shadow

JCphotographyJCphotography Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
edited March 25, 2013 in Finishing School
Does anyone know how to make this in photoshop? I plan to add it to pictures on my site.

Comments

• PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2013
    Can you post an example of a picture you would add it to, and say where you would add it? A shadow has to be cast by some object. I'm trying to imagine the object and lighting conditions that would produce that sort of shadow.
  • JCphotographyJCphotography Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2013
    Peano wrote: »
    Can you post an example of a picture you would add it to, and say where you would add it? A shadow has to be cast by some object. I'm trying to imagine the object and lighting conditions that would produce that sort of shadow.

Here is the link to http://www.jcphotos.biz/Info/About-Me/28529885_VW4wWC
    edited March 21, 2013

Thanks. Now ... where would you put that odd looking shadow on that image?
    edited March 21, 2013
    Thanks. Now ... where would you put that odd looking shadow on that image?

Do you not see it. It is at the bottom of the picture. Making it look like it is floating! I used a jpeg image I found, but I need it in PNG.
    edited March 21, 2013
    Ahhhh ... you mean the drop shadow outside of the image. You need to enlarge the canvas around the image, then use Layer Styles to create a drop shadow. Under "blending options," tick the box for "Layer mask hides effects." Then you have to paint on a layer mask to knock out all parts of the shadow that you don't want, leaving the shape that you posted.

For my money, it would be easier and would look more natural to just use a drop shadow without masking and shaping it ... like this:

dropshadow.jpg

Play around in layer styles. You could also add a beveled edge like this:

bevel.jpg
    edited March 21, 2013
    Ahhhh ... you mean the drop shadow outside of the image. You need to enlarge the canvas around the image, then use Layer Styles to create a drop shadow. Under "blending options," tick the box for "Layer mask hides effects." Then you have to paint on a layer mask to knock out all parts of the shadow that you don't want, leaving the shape that you posted.

For my money, it would be easier and would look more natural to just use a drop shadow without masking and shaping it ... like this:

dropshadow.jpg

Play around in layer styles. You could also add a beveled edge like this:

bevel.jpg

How did you download my image?
    edited March 21, 2013
    How did you download my image?

If you can see an image on your monitor, it's already downloaded. That's how you can see it. From there it's just a matter of saving it. There's no way to keep people from downloading your images on the net.
    edited March 21, 2013
    I have right click protect enabled on my image, so how did you save it?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited March 22, 2013
    One can always save a screen shot, then trim it in any photo editor. The good news is that as long as you don't allow very large images, the resolution is too low to be commercially useful.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited March 22, 2013
    You also need to disallow access to the Original images in your galleries.

See ORIGINALS = a gateway to free photos, & right click protection is NOT PROTECTION.

--- Denise
    edited March 22, 2013

As Richard said, anyone can take a screen shot.

When an image appears on your monitor, it resides in the temporary internet folder. You can go there and save the image (or just set your preferences so the temporary files aren't deleted when you exit your browser).

Denise has the best advice. If you're worried about people stealing your images and using them commercially, don't make the originals available. Post low-res versions like the one I used for demonstration purposes.

Just remember: When you make an image visible on the Internet, you're making it available for people to save if they want to.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2013
    While you had it downloaded, Peano, you should have straightened
    his horizon.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited March 22, 2013
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    While you had it downloaded, Peano, you should have straightened
    his horizon.

No, I was just answering his question about how to make a drop shadow, not offering to retouch the image.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 25, 2013
    My thread for drop shadow creation is old, but still works, and is found here - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=4087&page=1
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin