Options

Who are you people??

kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
edited April 22, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
I was loitering over in the People forum; and noticed that anonymouscuban started a thread in which people could post a little something about themselves in an attempt for everyone to get to know one another. There are a lot of new people taking part in the challenges, too, and I think it would be a good idea to also do this here. So, I’m stealing his idea, and suggest that we each share seven personal facts about ourselves.
I’ll go ahead and start:

1. I’ve been married for 27 years to a carpenter. I’m excited about completing the first remodeling done on our OWN house—we’re finally ditching the Harvest Gold linoleum kitchen!

2. Our three children, all in their 20’s, have each left the nest and subsequently moved back in and out and into our home. They’re all home for the next month or so, so our house is a little chaotic than I’ve become accustomed to.

3. My full-time job is in Therapeutic Recreation. I assist those who’ve had injuries or disabilities to learn to once again enjoy their free time—so I get to explore lots of hobbies/activities.

4. I enjoyed taking pictures when I was a child, but bought my first serious film camera in 1975 because I wanted to be a painter. My plan was to paint the scenes that I photographed; but that never happened….I just kept taking pictures. I purchased my first digital SLR just prior to our trip to New Zealand in 2007 and learned to use it by taking 300 pictures a day during the three weeks we were there. They turned out really good, because you can’t take a bad photo in such an incredibly beautiful place. I hope I can go back someday now that I know how my camera works.

5. Besides photography, my other main passion is reading. I love all books of all types, primarily non-fiction & history. I’m always in the middle of a book, and, as an introvert who works with people all day, I need this to stay sane.

6. I love the outdoors. I love the four seasons. I love hiking. I love canoeing. I love snowshoeing. I don’t camp as much anymore, though, as I like the comfort of a bed more and more the older I get.

7. In my opinion, the iPod was the best gadget to ever be invented. Gotta have music.
Kate
www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2013
    Great Idea, Kate!

1. I have a 23 year old daughter (who I raised on my own) who has flown the coop and is engaged to be married. Can't wait to take her engagement photos for her. Anyway, now it's just me and the cat at home and I feel like it's now my time to play.

2. For my "day job" I work in order/sales administration for a database software developer, I've been there for 18 years.

3. I used to do century rides... until my bike was stolen... and then I was told that the cartilage in my knee is gone so I've been told to get off the bike. So, now you know where the PedalGirl comes from.
    I did this ride in honor of my mom the year after she passed...as fate would have it my rider number is the month and year of my mother's birth. Ya... that bib is framed.
    i-LGv35tb-M.jpg

4. I love, love, love road trips... I've been known to just take off and go somewhere without notice. Yosemite, Sequoia, Joshua Tree (my new favorite) or up the California coast. I love being on the road and then out in nature along the way and when I get to my destination.

5. One of my other hobbies is genealogy... My 10th great grandpa on my father's side was the sheriff of Dublin... who knew??? Laughing.gif

6. I got my 1st and only tattoo a little over a year ago at the ripe old age of 42.
    i-FSXm4PX-M.jpg

7. I've always loved to take pictures... but honestly never thought of it as a serious hobby or even a career until a couple of years ago. I feel like I've found my passion very late in life... hoping some day I might be able to make (real) money at it. Maybe a retirement career??
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2013
    Yes I second that Kate, good Idea

Started lurking about the Dgrin forums in 2007 after moving up from my D50 to the Nikon D300 finding myself with a lot of questions. Found this venue very informational and pleasant to deal with. Some other camera forums were not to pleasant. Have always enjoyed photography but never got real serious about it. My son was the serious photog but unfortunately he passed away in 2005 at the age of 21.
    I then started a side business to keep myself busy so I would not lose my mind in grief. That business developed a need for photography so I took it up when others failed to provide satisfactory results.
    Photography also provided a connection to my lost son, developing into a passion especially for nature photography.
    me2final-S.jpg
    The Challenges made me get out of my comfort zone and try other forms and disciplines of photography. it was so helpful competing and giving and getting feedback.
    My day job is Bank Equipment Technician, which has been keeping me very busy for the last year and keeping me from playing here as much as I used too. Plus 5 grandchildren seem to be taking more time lately also but that is pleasant diversion.
    MoslerRound-S.jpg
    Although my job does allows me many opportunities for photography because of the traveling I do all over northern California , I just figured it out today that my new work van that I will have a year in April
    will have 50000 miles on it, 4100 miles a month average.
    VanPtArena-S.jpg
    Other hobbies include Blacksmithing and metalwork and about anything to do with the outdoors.
    My latest accomplishment which I found out this week I won a category in the Ducks Unlimited Magazine National Photo contest and will be pulished in May/June issue. Which i give a lot of credit to this forum and the people here in developing my skills
    Thank you all that participate.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    CambysesCambyses Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2013
    1 - My real name is Kambiz. It is a Persian name and a modified version of Kɑmboujie with Cambyses being its Latin/Greek version. As far as I know, it does not have any particular meaning, and it just happens to be the name of two Persian kings (the son and the father of Cyrus the Great). More on that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambyses_I

2- My first "serious" camera was a Yashica FX-3 (http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Yashica_FX-3) with a 50mm prime that I received as a gift from one of my older brothers when I was in the 5th grade in the early 80's. At the time, my brother was seriously into photography. He had converted one of our bathrooms into a fully equipped darkroom, and one of my childhood joys was to go with him into the darkroom, and watch him process the films and see the B&W pictures come into life on paper.

3- I almost put aside photography, only occasionally taking family and travel pictures, from late 80's all the way till 2005 when we bought Nikon D70 as our first DSLR. That is when my passion for photography was reinvigorated and I started doing a lot reading and taking a lot of pictures again.

4- Couple of years ago, we got an S95 as our carry-around P&S, and also upgraded our DSLR to Nikon D7000, and added few lenses (wide, macro, primes) to our collection. Eagerly looking forward to upgrading to a full frame body at some point.

5- I traveled to the US in 1996 to continue my graduate studies in Electrical Engineering at UCLA, and have since lived here in Southern California.

6- A couple of years after I moved to the US, I married Memol (Maryam), and the good part is that she also very much enjoys photography. That makes spending money for camera and equipment a bit easier mwink.gif. She is an engineer too but when it comes to settings for camera, lights, etc., I am typically more technical than her, but she certainly has better ideas and better artistic taste when it comes to thinking about and composing shots.

7- As for my day job, I work for a semiconductor company and help design systems and integrated circuits for mobile and wireless communication; you know, Bluetooth, WiFi, you name it.
  • Options
    GrayPlayerGrayPlayer Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited March 27, 2013
    Here goes nothing.
    Retired 73 year old truck driver. First camera was a Kodak box camera. First 35mm was a Kodak #2. No electronic gizmos, two sided card with exposure for shade, sun, bright sun. Think may have indicated type film. Used it on Scout trip to N. Mexico around 1956, worked great!

Worked in studio for ten years along with "stringer" work at various newspapers. Camera club, volunteer at civic organizations. Trip to Philippines in 2009, Alaska in 2010-11. Enjoy bike riding, nature walks, DIY projects and macro photography.

Like the variety of members. Informative and friendly bunch. (Hey Fred, there not bananas!)
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 28, 2013
    Interesting read everyone!

1. I got my first camera in 1975 for $30 from my neighbor. I do not remember the name of it, but it was a 35mm. Had to sell my 10 speed bicycle to pay for it. Sometime in late '70's, I worked my buns off to buy a Canon AE1 when they first came on the market. They were the hotest thing out at the time. Shot 11 weddings and several paid birthday gigs before getting married (29 pretty wonderful years for the most part mwink.gif ) and having my own lil ones that took up all of my time, I put photography on hold. I did go to college for awhile just after highschool to get a degree in photography. But figured it was wasting my time since I was already getting paid shoots and I really wasn't interested in spending money on classes that had nothing to do with photography.

2.Life was pretty busy when the first 3 kids came around. Not only was I a wife and mom, but I was known as a professional volunteer. I was sub committee chair for Head Start in Garden Grove CA., I coached soccer teams for 16 years, I taught drama and art at high school level for a small Christian school, I was cub/boy/girl scout leader, I was director of childrens church for a big church that had 200+ infants through 2 year olds just in the evening services only. I was an umpire for baseball, a coach for basketball and baseball and I homeschooled my first 3 kids for a spell. Ended up my body was starting to break down. We then moved to Alaska in 1996.

3. Other than snapping pics of my babies as they grew, photography was on the back burner till 2005, when we purchased the first digital camera we owned, a Kodak easy share. I got the bug again to start taking pictures. I quickly outgrew the Kodak and hubby bought me a Nikon D50 for my first DSLR with a kit lens and a 55-200mm nikor lens. It was like I never put the camera down! I soon after that, upgraded to a Nikon D300 and added oodles of other needed equipment such as lights, macro extensions and a tameron 200-500mm.

4. Taking pics of my last born who made her entrance after we moved to Alaska. She was the main object of many of photos. I started taking portrait and event photography again as well as Alaska political personalities and doing all the graphic art and photography for a local theater for the past 6 or 7 seasons. Do to a growing disability, I could no longer keep up with shooting weddings, and unfortunately, I am on my last season for the theater due to the disability also.

5. I have administered/moderated several other photography groups and art groups back in the msn days of groups, and joined dgrin after opening my smugmug account back in 2008. Loved doing contests and challenges! That is where I learned the most because I pushed myself to try new things.

6. I started a home based travel agency in 2011 since I travel a lot anyway and love the 'hunt' for the best deal and values. Also this was all I could do since I could not go to work due to disability. I need to stay busy!

7. I still homeschool my last born (4th child) who will be entering into highschool next year. I plan on continuing to travel till I can no longer travel. My philosophy is: Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning how do dance in the rain.
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2013
    9) I'm lazy.:D Post 25 in the other thread.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    CBshotsCBshots Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 29, 2013
    1. My name is Cynthia
    2. I live in a El Dorado, Arkansas
    3. I have always loved taking photo, but did not really get into it until the last 4 years
  • Options
    CBshotsCBshots Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 29, 2013
    4. I am the mother of 3 and the grandmother of 7
    5. I love to travel and to take photos of all the places I have travled. My dream trip is to go to Hawaii
    6. I love the freedom that photography gives and to joy I get from doing it
    7. I am always easy going and I love a challenge
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2013
    1. Formally, I'm William. Answer most often to Bill, Mr. Bill and Dad
    2. I have a career of 30+ years mostly in public education:
      • Elementary, JHS and HS Band Director
      • Travelled the world for a few years in the 80s as a show director with Up With People
      • JHS Computer Teacher (Basic programming on Apple IIe's)
      • Elementary, JHS Asst. Principal; Principal
      • District Office Administrator (HR, M&O, Admin. Services)
      • Currently Superintendent of an elementary district in Santa Barbara County
    3. My passion for photography goes back a long way:
      • Spent a lot of time in my childhood watching my grandfather's Kodachrome slide shows of Colorado and Arizona
      • Got my first 35mm in 1971 - a Minolta SRT-101 - for a school summer trip to Europe
      • Had a B&W darkroom in my garage for a couple of years
      • Had more film cameras than I can remember
      • Got my first digital P&S in 2003 and a DSLR a few years later
      • Learned tons of stuff from my former father-in-law who was an artist/photographer/graphic designer and a true soulmate
      • Now I'm an enthusiastic hobbyist who enjoys shooting and post-processing equally
      • Someday after I retire from education, I'd like to make a buck or two with this hobby
    4. Child/daughter (1 of 1) is a 24 year old budding artist living in Los Angeles with an expat Brit of dubious character (and a very likable chap!). She's just got her first studio job doing animations for a new online game. Check out her web-comic" "Find Kelley Green."
    5. Beside my photo habit, I ride a 2006 Harley Ultra Glide Classic with my beautiful, patient, supportive bride of 10 years (next month).
    6. Marriage version 2.0 is an amazing upgrade from version 1.0. Stability and ease of use vastly improved over earlier version. No further upgrades considered! However... we're just starting month 10 of living 200 miles apart. Last year when I left San Diego County for a terrific new job in Santa Barbara, the plan was for her find work there and follow me. That hasn't worked out as planned, so we're commuting via Amtrak on weekends. So far, it's working out pretty well. Every weekend feels like a vacation!
    7. I'm currently sitting on the Amtrak Surfliner southbound. Stuck somewhere between Van Nuy and LA - not moving for some reason.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,196 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2013
    I'll play, too. I don't participate in the challenges very often anymore, but I do lurk and read and vote for my fave entries.

1. My name is Sherry.
    2. I live in Central Texas near a really big Army base (not affiliated with military though).
    3. I have been married over 31 years to the same wonderful guy and I have one 17-yr old daughter who will be graduating from high school in a couple of months.
    4. I have worked in the Finance/Comptroller/Business Office area at the local community college for almost 29 years.
    5. I got my first camera (a Kodak Instamatic) when I was 14 & was hooked. I got a dSLR about 6 or 7 years ago and started getting more serious with it a couple of years after that. Not that I'm really serious about it now, but I enjoy it anyway.
    6. I really prefer taking pictures of flowers, scenery, or one of my 5 cats, but in the last 4 years I have sort of been the unofficial 'official' photographer of my daughter's high school band. Great fun, but they ask me to do a lot of stuff (like individual band portraits or a picture of the jazz band in a really dark stairwell) that I just don't have the lighting equipment to do properly. I also don't enjoy editing out teenage acne. I don't enjoy editing anything, actually.
    7. I don't want to be a full-time photographer (too much like work--no fun!), but I do get excited when I sell a print (usually to a fellow band mom).

Nice to 'meet' everyone.

Sherry
  • Options
    ShootingStarShootingStar Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2013
    Hi everyone

1. My name is Claire and I am 31, not married, no kids

2. In ‘normal life’ I am a quality manager for the development and manufacturing of medical devices

3. I am French and expat all the way. I have lived 3 years and a half in Australia in Sydney and I am now in Germany in a small town in the heart of the Black Forest (quite a drastic change :D ). I am wondering where I will land next and hoping it will be a spanish speaking country (would complete nicely my language skills).

4. I joined Dgrin quite recently and have participated in a few challenges. I really enjoy discovering what people come up with and learning from it. Although I often feel out of my league.

5. What I enjoy the most is landscape photography. However, what is important to me is that a photo reflects the ‘reality’ of a moment (the reality from the photographer's perspective). I do not like when there is too much postprocessing with combinations of photos etc

7. I do not know much about the technics of photography but planning to learn progressively. I just know I enjoy taking pictures, and that is the most important rolleyes1.gif

6. In my head, I am always dreaming about my next travel. At the moment it is Jordania, planned for beginning of May

Nice to meet you
    Nature can be so different around the world but it is always amazing!

Travel Blog English: http://www.zigzagonearth.com
    Travel Blog French: http://zigzagvoyages.fr
    Infoproduct Creation Blog : https://structurinfo.com
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,949 moderator
    edited April 2, 2013
    Fun idea!

1. My name is Gretchen. I grew up in the Chicago area but have lived near Philadelphia for the past 20 years.

2. My husband and I will be celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary in June. We have 4 sons and a daughter. We also have a 10 year old grandson and a 10 week old grand-daughter.

3. Photography is my favorite recreation. I lose all track of time when shooting or processing photos. I am especially drawn to landscape photography.

4. I enjoy traveling and feel very fortunate to have visited many countries in Africa and Europe as well as Australia, New Zealand, Korea, Japan, India and much of North America.

5. Spending a lot of time remodeling our home just now. (Finally have a kitchen again!) And I need a knee replacement in the near future. But I miss dgrin and look forward to participating more regularly as soon as possible.

6. I taught for several years (grade 5, then history in a high school) before raising a family. These days, I work part-time writing educational materials and developing (2) websites supporting education.

7. The list of places I hope to visit (or revisit) keeps growing: Masai Mara, New Zealand, Denali National Park, the island of Kauai, Misty Fjords National Park, Yosemite, Provence and the Lake District. But I am also contented to photograph beauty wherever I find it.
  • Options
    daniel212daniel212 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2013
    Fawzan Husain is a Photojournalist, a creative artist, teacher and an organic farmer. A self taught photographer, key projects of his oeuvre has been widely exhibited and published both in India and abroad. With over 24 years of experience as a photo journalist.

He obtained a post graduate degree in Journalism from Bombay School of Journalism.
    Then joined Mid-Day Publications where he got exposed to the nuances of documentary photography that later became his forte.

Passionate about nurturing new talent, he divides his time teaching documentary photography
  • Options
    JBDimageryJBDimagery Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2013
    Hello!
    1. My real name is John, I'm 29 , married for just over a year, no kids.
    2. I Failed out of photography class twice in high school.
    3. I work a 9-5 job as a desk jockey for a Bicycle co. as the sales Manager/ Warranty & Tech Support.
    4. When I'm not shooting pictures, I'm riding a bike or playing online games (Pc gamer.. no WoW) lol.
    5. I dream of making a name for myself in photography, but just cant seem to get there yet.
    6. I'm my own worst critic, I constantly think my shots could be better.
    7. I feel like i'm in a rut at the moment with my skills, shots and equipment( crappy tripod, Canon 5d mk2( I love) and just a 50mm f1.4 ( I feel limited with this)
    8. Im a hookah fiend,coffee lover, and music junkie.
  • Options
    kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2013
    my name is kent and i am an IT manager. i have lived in germany for a total of 7 years now, with my wife gretchen and two sons, seth and sean. i have also lived in san antonio, albuquerque, huntsville, al and in oklahoma (norman, tulsa, edmond, guthrie). norman,ok is my original home. i only decided to make photography my primary hobby about 3 years ago, when i bought myself a canon 7d for my birthday. i am slowly improving. i need a better tripod. well, thats about it :)
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2013
    1. My name is Kevin.
    2. I currently live in Manassas VA. I have lived in the Washington DC area since 1976 but it still does not feel like "home". I was born in Laredo, TX but started relocating every few years due to Dad's military service.
    3. By day I am a senior graphic designer for an engineering firm. Wanted to be an architect at one time but hit college calculus and had to re-evaluate my career path.
    4. I have tried many different mediums to find an outlet for my art and eventually gravitated to photography. I'll probably never make a living from it but am not sure that I'd want to. Once something becomes the means to paying the bills it starts to feel too much like work in my opinion. This is probably the main reason that I don't hire out for photo shoots. Don't like someone trying to tell me how to do my job when I have a camera in my hand. However, if someone decides that they want to invest in my hobby/passion by buying one of my prints, far be it from me to stop them. mwink.gif
    5. I was diagnosed with cancer in the summer of 2005. I have been cancer free since finishing treatment in May of 2006, but have been fighting the damage done from radiation off and on ever since.
    6. After making it through treatments I decided to stop putting things off for another day and learned to ride a motorcycle. I look forward to getting out riding every chance I get and just recently bought a Harley-Davidson Heritage Softtail Classic.
    7. At the top of my photography bucket list is an African safari and a trip through the swamps of the American south.

That pretty much sums it up. My hardest decision on the weekend is do I ride or do I shoot. BOTH! Hopefully.
    ~Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    kithylinkithylin Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2013
    I'm 30 years old (for a few more months at least). Never married, no kids (Unless you count my Siberian Husky girl).

My primary passion in life: Helping others achieve clarity in the confusing digital world through teaching them to learn how to use electronics to improve their life.

(That's a smart-person-sounding way of saying I'm a certified IT Technician that used to work at Help Desk for a large computer company).

I love electronics, and technology of all kinds. I build computers. I repair computers. I take old computers and tear them apart and cobble together other computers out of their parts.

My secondary passions are:
    1.) Animals of all kinds, shapes, sizes, and colors.
    2.) Cars. Fast cars.
    3.) Photography.
    4.) Having fun! :D
    Sony Alpha SLT-A35 16.5 MP DSLR
    Minolta AF Zoom 70-210 F/4.5-5.6
    Minolta AF Zoom 35-70 F/3.5-4.5
    Places I post my work DeviantArt & FLICKR
  • Options
    endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2013
    Hi to all
    My real name is Rex
    47 years old living in Colorado, no kids, divorced
    Day job is a police officer, more specifically work in the K9 unit in my department
    Recently certified as a scuba instructor and doing some of that for a small shop in town
    In what little free time I have I race dirtbikes, fish, and take pictures

I have always had an interest in photography. My first camera was a Canon AE-1 back in the early 80's. Was on yearbook in high school and got to click a lot of their film. Got back into it a few years ago with the digital stuff and love it even more. No cost for film or developing and being able to edit pictures instead of sending them out makes it so much more fun. While I only participate in challenges every now and then I look at and enjoy every contest.
  • Options
    johnlogukjohnloguk Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2013
    I'm John, I'm 56, born and bred in Lincoln in the East of England, with 10 year old twins. I got my first camera, a Kodak 126, when I was about 13. My first SLR , an Olympus OM10, came along when I was about 25. I trained as a geologist, but spent most of my adult life as a social worker, yep, a strange combination I know. After a mid-life crisis to end all mid-life crises I resisted the urge to buy a sports car and started as a freelance photographer instead! I am Light and Dreams Photography, no job is too big or too small!Trying to make a living from your big passion is tough, but by taking on a wide range of work I've managed to keep it all fresh. My other major passion is the outdoors, I run 20-30 miles a week to stay fit enough to take my kids climbing in the Himalaya when they're old enough. I have great memories of climbing trips there in the late 80s and early 90s. I also love real beer, real music, books, movies and am a keen environmentalist. I haven't owned a car for over two years. I dip in and out of the challenges when time allows, and have also been a member of the Smugmug daily community for over 5 years. Trying to take a photo every day for that length of time improves your skills more than any course or book, and I would encourage anyone to at least attempt it, although it can be frustrating at times. There are so many things I want to do, and so little time to fit them all in.
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2013
    What a fun read, Kate! Thanks for starting this thread.

1. Karen. I can't believe I am 60. How did that happen?

2. My father took most of the photos on our family vacations, but I had a Brownie and took a few.

3. My husband bought me a Canon AE-1 Program after our first child was born. I enjoyed taking family photos until it broke after a beach trip. I think sand got in and damaged something.

4. My boys bought me my first digital camera for Christmas in 2006 - a Kodak P&S. I was very proud of my first bee in flight with it. The shutter lag was challenging.
    100_1197-L.jpg

5. I bought my next digital camera for a trip to Costa Rica in 2009. I am still using it - a Panasonic FZ-28 superzoom. I knew the Kodak would be too limited. I considered getting a SLR, but the money wasn't there. The FZ-28 captures raw, which was one of my requirements. I would have liked an articulated LCD screen, but the superzooms available at the time in my price range either had the articulated screen or raw, but not both. This was a family trip and looks like it will be the last foreign trip my mother will make. It was a stretch financially, and well worth it.

6. I started entering the challenges shortly after returning from Costa Rica. I was getting bored. The challenges have provided plenty of stimulation - producing to a theme every 2 weeks. And the feedback really improved my composition and attention to detail. Many thanks, everyone! Last year was extremely disruptive with company coming and trips out of town and medical issues and loads of work, so I have not participated as much in the last year.

7. I have lived all over America. The only states I have not yet visited are Alaska and Hawaii. I currently live outside of Seattle. I consider the climate to be heavenly - not too cold, not too hot, beautiful skies most of the year. Winter, if I want it, is available in an hour's drive. The variety of photographic opportunities is amazing - mountains, ocean, desert, bald eagles, mountain goats, tulip festivals, wildflowers, ferries.
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2013
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2013
    Got busy, took a brief break from Dgrin, and nearly missed this thread! What an interesting mix of people.
    *I'm Leah, living in North-central Indiana.
    *I left a part-time job about a year ago to turn taking care of my family (hubby, kids, two dogs, etc.) into a full-time job; what a relief to finally give my growing kids the attention they need! Two girls, almost 11 and almost 9.....felt like I had to catch them quick before they turn into teenagers.
    *I'm an avid gardener with a horticulture degree from Purdue and a keen interest in urban gardening and raising my family as caretakers, not users. It's our first year in 4-H and we're leasing a llama, of all things.
    *I have a part-time business from a home studio working on family archiving and digital restoration of everything from old albums to tintypes to glass plate negatives (special fondness for the glass negatives.) Thought I'd give it a go with portrait work, and do some on the side, but old photos are just soooooo very interesting and heck, this leaves photography as my primo creative outlet. First camera was a used Olympus 35mm that I got when I was 10 in the mid-80's. Haven't stopped taking pictures since.
    *I've been participating in the DGrin challenges for quite some time now, only recently missing a few contests. I love the way the challenges stretch my skill and perception of what else is possible within the same medium and challenge parameters.