Options

#125 My town

grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,972 Major grins
edited March 27, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
My town is pretty small. It consists of a small center square, some restaurants and banks,

IMG_8177.JPG

the police station, the county courthouse, a place at the bottom of the hill where there is a wharf,
IMG_8164.JPG
a fire house, a public and Catholic elementary schools (the rest of the public schools are down south of town opposite the fair grounds), some churches
IMG_8175.JPG

and the road north of town has a grocery store, some more restaurants, a gym, the hospital etc. The whole town is not more than 4 square miles even if you include the sewage treatment plant.

It is the County Seat for the county and has some old buildings.

One of the old buildings is the old jail
IMG_8154.JPG

Built in 1858, the cells were upstairs and the jailor's family lived downstairs. It is now the visitor information center. From the street you can see the police antenna sticking up behind it. Also it faces west, so in the morning the front is in the shade. I drove around a bit yesterday and took this photo
IMG_8172.JPG

from across the street at a different angle where the antenna isn't in it. But still not too satisfactory.

So today in the afternoon instead of going to town in my car, I took my scooter, and went out to take pictures.

IMG_8191.JPG

I find that even in the afternoon with the sun from the west, I get tree branch shadows

IMG_8195.JPG

This is the one I like best.

The other thing that most people would say when I ask them what is a representative thing to take a photo of in town - the mural

This is the mural

IMG_8178.JPG
TThe mural starts on the left with the earliest time and goes around to the right and ends the mid 1950s. The ssection with two horses in front of a building represents 1865 when a Congressman is being arrested ffor his opposition to the Civil War (even though the war was over, and all he did was give some money to some prisoners who were making their way back home from Point Lookout Prison which was down in the south end of the county). The building was the Fenwick hotel and is still there.

This shows the building then and now
2013-03-23.jpg

I don't know if a collage would be appropriate though.

There are also other old buildings in town

Rainhill Cottage
IMG_8171.JPG

Camalier House

IMG_8152.JPG

And Tudor Hall (1817)

IMG_8212.JPG

Tudor Hall was my first thought, but it is extremely hard for me to get a good photo of it.
IMG_8157.JPG

IMG_8160.JPG

So what do you think? The old jail or the mural?
“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Comments

• Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2013
    Many potentials and a nice effort working for them. I like the one you decided to enter :D
    Michael