Options

Pileated Woodpecker and the fly

MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
edited March 30, 2013 in Wildlife
Escaping by a whisker...

fly-XL.jpg

The Pileated Woodpecker was my main subject of course, the fly just happened to be dinner

red8-XL.jpg

red5-XL.jpg
Cheers,
Monte

Comments

• Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    Wow, Monte! Literally escaping by a whisker, as you can see every whisker in that first photo. Nice detail and closeup of the woodpecker. He must live in your area, because I see you have caught him on both a tree and what looks like a telephone pole. Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2013
    PGM wrote: »
    Wow, Monte! Literally escaping by a whisker, as you can see every whisker in that first photo. Nice detail and closeup of the woodpecker. He must live in your area, because I see you have caught him on both a tree and what looks like a telephone pole. Best, Pam

Thanks Pam. This is the first and only time I seen it. It flew from the tree to the pole and I followed. Hopefully it comes back with family and friends!
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    keithrussell42keithrussell42 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    Very nice shot! Love the detail.

I've been waiting patiently for our resident Pileated Woodpecker to show up and fly closer than 300 meters away. Frustrating critters so kudos to you for getting such a clear shot!
    Keith

My SmugMug
  • Options
    wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    nice set really caught well
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    Excellent captures.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    That is one bird I have always wanted to capture, guess it is the Woody Woodpecker cartoons from childhood. Almost had one in Nova Scotia but focus did not lock.
    Great shots
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2013
    Hey Monte

Great captures. Did you notice you've got two different birds? One's a male #2 - red moustache), the other femaie!

I had 2 females in the yard this morning, gone before I got the camera out. :cry
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2013
    Ann McRae wrote: »
    Hey Monte

Great captures. Did you notice you've got two different birds? One's a male #2 - red moustache), the other femaie!

I had 2 females in the yard this morning, gone before I got the camera out. :cry

I did notice that. The one on the tree was more timid. The female on the pole was very friendly. I was only a few feet away and she did not seem to care. I left and she was still there! Not often they pose for as many photos as you want. I was even able to change lenses as I got closer :)
    Cheers,
    Monte