Melissa + Dan [lifestyle couples session]

michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
edited April 2, 2013 in People
It was cold, and we almost got fined for trespassing, but we got away with it! This was a quick twenty minute session. Enjoy.

1. 6679243_orig.jpg
2. 4666938_orig.jpg
3. 6664721_orig.jpg
4. 6630072_orig.jpg
5. 3003592_orig.jpg
6. 168399_orig.jpg
7. 3128727_orig.jpg
8. 4713284_orig.jpg
9. 242299_orig.jpg
10. 2030592_orig.jpg
11. 266691_orig.jpg
12. 6750256_orig.jpg
13. 4865489_orig.jpg

The whole set can be found on my blog.
wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    I am digging 6 and 12. this set not quote as strong as the others you have posted. couple doesn't look very comfortable to be honest
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    Qarik wrote: »
    I am digging 6 and 12. this set not quote as strong as the others you have posted. couple doesn't look very comfortable to be honest

Thanks Daniel! I appreciate the honesty. If I had to guess, it's probably because of how cold it was. We did this shoot around 9am, and it was about 30-35F outside.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    yeah..actually..that might explain it..like shots 8 and 10, the guys shoulders are scrunched up trying to stay warm.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    I like the pictures and I agree about they doesn't look comfortable but the face expressions are great.

6-9-12 and 13 are my favorites.

Nice PP.

Marcelo
  • GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    The flare shots on the dock are my favorites. 13 is very sweet too.
  • D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2013
    Nice series, but overall I have an issue with the light control and the lens deformation.

The light; Maybe its your style and in that case I will shut-up. However it seems that you had to pull up the shadows and blacks in LR to get the persons bright enough. Most likely because of the bright background. It is a well know issue , so why not using a fill-in flash on the subjects.

The deformation; In almost all pictures house, beams etc are falling sideways or backwards. The result of not having the sensor not lined up with the object plane (tilt or shifted). And of course the deformation from the lens itself. Maybe it was deliberate in some. Howere you can correct this very easily in LR (lens corrections - manual) or in CS .

But for the rest great poses.. and a job well done
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    Nice series, but overall I have an issue with the light control and the lens deformation.

The light; Maybe its your style and in that case I will shut-up. However it seems that you had to pull up the shadows and blacks in LR to get the persons bright enough. Most likely because of the bright background. It is a well know issue , so why not using a fill-in flash on the subjects.

The deformation; In almost all pictures house, beams etc are falling sideways or backwards. The result of not having the sensor not lined up with the object plane (tilt or shifted). And of course the deformation from the lens itself. Maybe it was deliberate in some. Howere you can correct this very easily in LR (lens corrections - manual) or in CS .

But for the rest great poses.. and a job well done

I assume the shots you are talking about are the ones on the dock where they are sitting? I used the sun to backlight the subjects and got the proper exposure using spot metering. I actually didn't have to pull up the blacks, and the I got the effect I wanted because you're right, this is my style of shooting :D

As for fill flash, I could use lighting, but I prefer to use the sun where I can. It's a personal taste..I just love the look of natural light falling on the subject.

As for deformation, I'll look into that more. Which photographs from this set did you think was most manipulated from the lens?

I appreciate the comments, thank you!
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    11 B is my favorite, I also like the backgrounds with the older homes in background. Those will really have more impact as time goes on and neighborhoods change.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700