Options

#125 - Not sure about this...

billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
edited March 27, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
I may have some time to shoot a different location... even a different town (since i'm bi-civic these days). But I've been attracted to the idea of representing the relative scale of man's creation and natural majesty. Here's my take from the window of my condo in Santa Barbara.

From the ground the Santa Barbara Mission (lower right-center) and the one time Catholic School (lower left) are SO impressive in size and spirtual grandeur. From a distance (with the flattening effect of 200mm) these grand architectural tributes to God pale against the natural grandeur that sits just to the north.

My sense is that this idea (and photo) take way too much explaining (or a perfect title which I'm yet to come up with) to be effective. I also need to find an effective pp technique to draw the viewer's eyes to the foreground buildings. It definitely works better when viewed large (CLICK IMAGE to view large in gallery). Just wanted to put it out for comments.

Relative Grandeur of Man and Master
20130324_SB-7-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit-L.jpg
Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug

Comments

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    billseye wrote: »
    I may have some time to shoot a different location... even a different town (since i'm bi-civic these days). But I've been attracted to the idea of representing the relative scale of man's creation and natural majesty. Here's my take from the window of my condo in Santa Barbara.

From the ground the Santa Barbara Mission (lower right-center) and the one time Catholic School (lower left) are SO impressive in size and spirtual grandeur. From a distance (with the flattening effect of 200mm) these grand architectural tributes to God pale against the natural grandeur that sits just to the north.

My sense is that this idea (and photo) take way too much explaining (or a perfect title which I'm yet to come up with) to be effective. I also need to find an effective pp technique to draw the viewer's eyes to the foreground buildings. It definitely works better when viewed large (CLICK IMAGE to view large in gallery). Just wanted to put it out for comments.

Relative Grandeur of Man and Master

Wow! What a view. I think I can get used to that very quickly. :D Do you have a color version or a different B&W version? The composition on this is a winner, but on my monitor the landscape details are getting lost in the current B&W version. Maybe tone the contrast down a bit? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    I am having the same problem - all of the detail is lost because of the size. The original size I great, but for the contest no one will see it as the size is limited IIRC.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    It may be my monitor, but I just see a lot of gray.......can we see this in color?
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    Overdone, Bill. All the detail is lost.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 27, 2013
    It would be nice to see the original original :D
    Michael