First Portrait

illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
edited December 6, 2005 in People
This is the first serious portrait I have really ever taken and it wasnt that serious, but my sister wanted some photos for her myspace thingy so I bust the D60 and the vivitar 285 out, hehe. I thought I would share it with you guys, so there it is.
~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.

Comments

• PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2005
    Hi, illuminati919
    Great Photo!clap.gif
    I think your sister has what it takes to be a model.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    Marshall, NC
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/marshall_fun
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2005
    I like it.

Make sure the focus is locked on her eyes, because it looks like it's a bit forward (shirt maybe?)

Shoot some more. I like the starkness, but maybe play around with combinations of low-key (dark) tops on that high-key background, and vice versa.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    Very nice. The pose with the hair, and the b+w is just lovely.
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • debtoinedebtoine Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    I like the pose, but I agree with a previous poster, that the focus is not on the eyes.

To me, the harsh shadows on the wall take away from the picture.

Isn't it fun? I love portrait photography!

Toine
  • jkelly25jkelly25 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    Good shot. I use a Stofen Omni Bounce filter on my flash which helps to get rid of the harsh shadows at a low cost.

Joe
    Joe Kelly
    New Jersey
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    Great shot. Very dramatic! I think your sister should love it! Very sexy pose!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    jkelly25 wrote:
    Good shot. I use a Stofen Omni Bounce filter on my flash which helps to get rid of the harsh shadows at a low cost.

Joe
    When I tookt he photo I actually put a tissue over the head of my flash to soften the lighting, but it didnt do much, maybe two tissues ? I am soon to get an omni bounce filter. Thanks for your input guys.

Marko
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    I also really like the picture, other than the harsh direct flash. Nice, edgy B&W.

You could certainly improve things by bouncing the flash from a wall or the ceiling - getting her further from the wall would help as well. I'm not familiar with your camera, but if you have flash compensation turn it down - a mix of flash and ambient light would be to your advantage.

Great pose and composition, she looks like a young lady with a ton of personality.
  • elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    Well, you got yourself a very nice "first portrait"! You have a very good looking sister!!! mwink.gif

Matty
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    When I tookt he photo I actually put a tissue over the head of my flash to soften the lighting, but it didnt do much, maybe two tissues ? I am soon to get an omni bounce filter. Thanks for your input guys.

Marko
    Omnibounce = waste of money.

Get a 710 ml "Pure Spring" pop-top water bottle. Cut the top and taper off. Put on your flash. Voila. Homemade LightSphere 2 PJ.

Hell, just get a sheet of paper and tape it to the top and bottom of the flash, allowing it to "bow" over the top.

Unless of course you want to be the kind of customer that walks into my store and says "I want an omnibounce."

I dunno about you, but I'd rather save the 40 bux and spend it on beer!

friday.gif

Yours in ghetto-fabrication,
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    I too agree with the focus, but I really like the shadows on the wall and the expression on her face.. almost a risqué expression.. Very hottt. Good job! jamie
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe