Options

Who says opera isn't sexy? :D

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited April 6, 2013 in People
Introducing Caroline, a soprano. Has never done a shoot before, but she's now jumping back into the singer sharkpool after having taken 4 years off post-undergrad to get married and have her first baby. There are SO MANY from this shoot I hardly know where to start... but I was so excited I wanted to share! I've been on hold all week due to a HDD failure and necessary computer repair, so it's only today I even saw these full size...

I'll add to this thread as I work through them - some of them are just smoking. You'd think she'd been modeling all her life! I think she should put in for some modeling work - she's built like Christina Hendricks from Madmen (seriously) and you can see how good she is in front of the camera.... Wowzers.

(NB: if color/contrast is off, let me know. I haven't had a chance to calibrate the monitor yet following computer repair....)

1. We started with a nice simple "all-purpose" look. She has the most WONDERFUL smile and laugh (we did a lot of laughing :)

i-JHjc5S7-L.jpg

2. Hadn't intended to do a 40's vintage look, but as soon as she put on the faux fur jacket the MUA and I both squealed with delight and ran for the red lipstick. This was taken while she was in the mu chair - I spotted the light from the window and went for it :)

i-V8r3v8h-XL.jpg

3. Not only beautiful and talented, but ridiculously adorable. Every time I'd ask her to change her expression, she'd make this cute little face, but I thought I hadn't caught it - I was so excited when I browsed the session and realised I'd managed to snag one!!

i-CGPPCgX-L.jpg

4. And diva-promotional shot in full flight. Just one of many stunning shots she gave me.

i-7PR9j3B-XL.jpg

Added

5. I wish I'd done this series without the shawl, but so be it ... still love 'em
i-8VwswCC-L.jpg

6. This was the very last set of the session and although we had Big Plans, we wound up with all sorts of issues (wind meant I couldn't use the flash on the stand, homeless person right where we needed to shoot, and in that neighbourhood not a good idea for two women on their own to challenge it etc etc). But we made it work! I just wish we could have got the full-length shot with the tulle wrap blowing behind her, which is what we both really wanted. Next time.... ;)

She is soooo good at turning on "sultry". I just stood there and pushed buttons while she switched it on for the camera. Funny thing is it isn't really her vocal repertoire (which is more abandoned ingenues than femme fatale), but they'll still dress up a website nicely :)

i-HcqR8dm-L.jpg

More to come. Many to sift through...............

Comments

• Options
    lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2013
    Wow!!!!!!!
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2013
    Great shots! Gotta love the instant change from the red lipstick.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2013
    oh la la!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2013
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2013
    Gorgeous, gorgeous! Both the woman and the photography!
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2013
    Thanks guys. I'm still just bowled over by this shoot. Great MUA and a real treat to shoot somebody who just DID it in front of the camera (and looks great no matter what you do). Soooo many images to sift through, but really worth it!

Added a couple more to the first post....
  • Options
    LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2013
    Fantastic portraits, you did a great job wit your camera/lens.

#1 and 5 are my favorites.

Marcelo
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2013
    Really nice work, big congrats.
  • Options
    Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2013
    Something about #6 just keeps me coming back to it... excellent eye contact!
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2013
    Great job DIVA! bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif I loved them all, but I'd have to pick #3 as my favorite. I love the expression you captured!

In another thread where I mentioned Sue Bryce, you said something to the effect that you'd have to have Sue Bryce's eyes to pull off what she does. WELL....I think if she seen these, she'd be proud of you! Out of all of them, the only thing I would have done differently, would be #5, I would have turned her on a 45 towards the camera. Keeping her hands as they are, this would have opened up her waist area and possibly make her look slimmer.

Can't wait to see more from this shoot if there are more!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2013
    Thanks iloveyou.gif

Gaby, I think it's her connection into the lens in 6 - she just instinctively knew how to channel the energy to me through the glass. The pale-lips is my least-favorite look, but she REALLY worked it, and some of them are just gorgeous.

There is a lot of Bryce-age posing in these - I used every trick I know. She's a GORGEOUS woman, but she's not a stick figure - she's a true hourglass figure, with curves in all the right places. I experimented with slight angles on the series in #5, but that was the one I liked best; I still don't quite have that down to a "formula" yet, and have to experiment until I see what I really like. I'm sad that I didn't insist on losing the shawl so I could get more triangle-space under her arms to show off the waist, but it was cold and I didn't want to make her too uncomfortable.

I promise I"ll stop after this but here are just a couple more.... :)

7. I really love this one, particularly in BW. I may shave a little off her hip if she asks, but I think she looks fantastic. She moved into that pose herself (she's a natural, I tell you) - I'll be stealing it, because I love it!!

i-CL9zXHx-XL.jpg

8. she had put the coat on because she was cold (an honest-to-god windchill yesterday despite the sun in the sky) and I grabbed these while she was warming up. Btw, I am of course aware that these more glamorous/fashion-style ones have drifted far away from "headshot" - they're definitely publicity pix rather than audition headshots (even for operatic types).

I knew I liked "something" about this as I took it, but didn't realise until I saw it on the big screen that I'd framed her eye right in that chink in the stone. I love it when I get it right by accident :D

i-WNq3bX4-XL.jpg

i-rcbqSLj-XL.jpg
  • Options
    LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2013
    Wow, what a great shots, 7 the B&W conversion is fantastic love the contrast and 9 is my favorite, beautiful portrait.

Have a question, you are using the 70-200mm f/2.8 and the exif shows that the picture #1 was shot at f1.4 and #9 at f/1.6??

Thank you for posting.

Marcelo
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2013
    Have a question, you are using the 70-200mm f/2.8 and the exif shows that the picture #1 was shot at f1.4 and #9 at f/1.6??

Thanks for the kind words. iloveyou.gif

Hmmmm..... according to what I have here #1 was 70mm/f4 and #9 was 70mm f5 ("stopped down" by my standards lol). I didn't take the 70-200 off the camera all day - I had enough space in the location that it worked for everything.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2013
    Looks to me, the both of you did really fine work. Definitely WOW iloveyou.gif
    Michael
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2013
    thanks!! i still have to finish prepping her proofs (so many shots to go through!) but can't wait to show them to to her.... she loved the teasers :)
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2013
    Great work. These are gorgeous!
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2013
    Love the light and airy quality to these!

4, 6 and 7 are absolutely fantastic in my book! I love them.

In number 5, did you do some "hip slimming" ? It looks like there is a tiny bit of artifact just below the belt line camera left.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2013
    OK, third look through and #6 is just making me weak in the knees!! What a look and a great photo!
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2013
    @Bryce Nope, no slimming in 5 - iirc I liquified the ruching at the waist just to tidy it up a bit, but nothing at the hip. I think what you may be seeing is actually her hand - I should probably burn it in a little so it's more obvious; it kind of blends into the wall.....

@Mitchell, people seem to love or hate 6 - I personally think it'll be a smokin' hot shot for a website for her. I gave my (fabulous) MUA a free hand, and this is what they came up with - C. LOVED the look, so I'm excited for her to see these. Fortunately, there are many in the earlier series' which are "softer" less fashion-looknig shots to use as headshots (as well as some others in the black coat and before we bumped up the sultry in the red velvet dress). She will have LOADS to choose from. Assuming I ever manage to work through the shoot: I had FIVE (count 'em, 5) big shoots last week just as my computer failed and had to be sent in for repair. Meaning I couldn't start editing right away and am now seriously playing catchup!!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2013
    nothing new to add here..these look fabulous!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2013
    Thanks, Qarik!

It's one of those shoots where I keep going through and finding more shots I want to include in her proofset.... she may be the most natural subject in front of the camera I have ever shot. I can't deny it makes it both easier for the photographer, and means I can think about other things rather than just trying to make the subject *comfortable*! I'll be thinking a lot about what she did naturally so I can figure out how to direct those who need a bit more help finding this "place". Food for thought indeed. nod.gif
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    Diva,

I have yet to chime in on this thread. I don't have time to get detailed and I think much of what I would say has already been said but these are fantastic. You gave me a sneak peak of a few SOOC and as I said, they looked fantastic then and they look amazing now.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    9. OH MY GOD!
    wow!
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    Absolutely in love with #6. Congrats on the amazing set, Diva! Holy moly. bowdown.gif
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Options
    Mathieu05Mathieu05 Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2013
    Gorgeous series! love that #9 even better!
    Chris Odchigue | Photography

“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.”
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2013
    Thanks again, guys. She was ecstatic over her proofs, so I'm pleased. Now working through the week's 4 other shoots... :yikes For a "part time" gig the last couple of weeks have been intense!
  • Options
    WeedinnerWeedinner Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited April 5, 2013
    LOvely shoot Diva. When you get a face like that go for it
  • Options
    JMelloJMello Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2013
    Love the colour of her eyes!

#6 Is my personal fav tho.
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2013
    Thanks Mello and Weediner (big warm fuzzy that you chimed in!)

I will say.... there's no doubt it's way easier when the client is very comfortable with the camera, her body, and drop-dead gorgeous to begin with (and you have a kicka** makeup artist). I'm beginning to believe the mark of real skill is making anybody look like that. That's the next level I want to achieve: making even those who don't have flawless features and natural talent in front of the camera look as good as this thumb.gif