Options

Profit To Set

McPheniusMcPhenius Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited April 6, 2013 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I am new to SmugMug and the Digital Grin Forums. I've done some searching on this topic.

I have a trail membership and looking to upgrade to a Pro account as I need a "site" for my pictures and a place to try and sell them.

I posted a few of my photos and created a pricelist with a 85% profit. Thus taking a mounted lustre print base at $49 and making it about $89 for my customers.

A friend of mine contacted me and said they felt my prices were way to low. But they commented for what I sell a 11x14 for, they sell a mousepad for the same price through their business.... I am not sure they were looking at the mounted pricing as I can't imagine a mousepad for $89.

So I did some searching and I found one post where someone suggested to another user to sell at a 100% profit as a quick and easy choice. Another user felt that was still too low.

My photography is landscape base - sunset/sunrise beach/woods/fields. What should I be gauging my prices (profit) at?

Comments

• Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2013
    This is the age old question, and unfortunately, impossible to answer. It is up to you to determine your value. In the end, I feel that no matter what my profit % is, my sales would never come without a solid marketing plan. If I don't promote my business, people would never know I have work for sale. I think 85% to 100% is a great starting base. You can always change it on the fly if you feel it is too high or too low.

Michael
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2013
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com