Options

Starfish with New Underwater Housing

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited April 2, 2013 in Wildlife
Hey, all!

I'm not much of a wildlife shooter, but thought I'd post a couple of shots I got last week in the Bahamas with my new underwater housing. This was my first venture into shooting underwater.

I had an Ikelite housing with an 8" dome and a 16mm fisheye on my D600. These shots were taken at low tide in about a foot of water.

I'm interested in comments and critiques on these. Thanks!

_DSR3682-XL.jpg

_DSR3683-XL.jpg

_DSR3687-XL.jpg
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    Cool set up David.I really like the images. A starfish ain't the most exciting subject but your compositions are really interesting. I particularly like #3.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2013
    Harryb wrote: »
    Cool set up David.I really like the images. A starfish ain't the most exciting subject but your compositions are really interesting. I particularly like #3.

Thanks for the comments, Harry!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    David, these are surreal-looking! Could you explain to an amateur (me) how you did this and what I am looking at? Was your camera actually under water? And how is it that the sky merges with the underwater part? I think they are beautiful, and I'd like to understand how you did it and how each part of the image was shot. Thanks so much, Pam
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2013
    PGM wrote: »
    David, these are surreal-looking! Could you explain to an amateur (me) how you did this and what I am looking at? Was your camera actually under water? And how is it that the sky merges with the underwater part? I think they are beautiful, and I'd like to understand how you did it and how each part of the image was shot. Thanks so much, Pam

Thanks! The camera is in a housing with a dome on the front. These shots were taken with the dome partway in the water. Each is a single exposure. I just stuck the housing in the water and shot a burst so that I could choose the water patterns I preferred. I have links in the first post to the housing and dome that I used.

16jsdSH
    Moderator Emeritus