Options

Lenses for sale and/or advise

DeputydawgDeputydawg Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited April 2, 2013 in House of Canon
Confused and in need of help!! I am trying to figure out if it would be better to sell my four extra lenses, trade to an on-line retailer, or would it be better keep what I have. These are all extra lenses that are just taking up space in my safe.

All are in new condition and about a year or less old.

Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS.. comes with all original packing, accessories(tripod mount, hood, strap), and paperwork, along with a woodlands camo lens coat. Asking 850.00

Canon EFS 55-250mm F/4-5.6 IS II...comes with all original packing and paperwork, along with various uv filters and hood Asking 160.00

Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II...(Brand New, used once to try it out) comes with all original packing and paperwork, along with a filter and hood. Asking 90.00

Canon EFS 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II lens (Kit Lens) I don't think I still have the box but pretty sure I have the paperwork. Asking 125.00

Would it be easier to sell outright or go ahead and trade? Amazon will offered a trade of 723.00 for all, Adoroma was a little less...

Thanks

JD

Comments

• Options
    RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2013
    to be able to accurately answer your questions we need to know the Primary uses. do you shoot low light often? Sports? Portraits?
    Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
    50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
    Canon speedlights and Alien Bees
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2013
    RacinRandy wrote: »
    to be able to accurately answer your questions we need to know the Primary uses. do you shoot low light often? Sports? Portraits?

Primary wildlife and landscapes. Action wise it's birds in flight and the occasional airshow. I do not have a good lowlight lens for indoors. I am really starting to think I would like to do a reset of all my lenses. Looking for the picture quality and sharpness due to I am starting to sell some of my prints. I have a D60 and a T3 I am currently using for my body. Mainly the 60.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2013
    What I am thinking so far is the EFS 17-55 2.8 IS for my walk around general use lens and for a zoom the ef70-200mm f4 IS L series lens but would prefer saving extra money by going non IS since most of my wildlife shots are from a monopod or tripod. I already have a 60 mm 2.8 macro that I will be keeping. What do you think ?
  • Options
    jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2013
    FS: Lenses for sale and/or advise
    Deputydawg wrote: »
    What I am thinking so far is the EFS 17-55 2.8 IS for my walk around general use lens and for a zoom the ef70-200mm f4 IS L series lens but would prefer saving extra money by going non IS since most of my wildlife shots are from a monopod or tripod. I already have a 60 mm 2.8 macro that I will be keeping. What do you think ?
    Good Morning,
    I use the Tamron 17-50 2.8 (non VC) on my 7D as a walk around lens. It's very good in terms of sharpness and contrast. I also use the 70-200 4.0 L, non IS. That lens speaks for itself. Unless you have shakey hands, or shoot at sunset, you'll be ok without the IS on either lens. As for wildlife, the 400 5.6 L comes highly recommended. Hope that helps thumb.gif
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    KyTomKyTom Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2013
    I have owned all 3 Canon 70-200 lenses you mentioned. The 2.8 IS was nice, but heavy. I traded it for the 70-200 f4.o IS, and I LOVED that lens. But, I sold it and bought the 70-200 f4.o non-IS and I can't tell a bit of difference in the photos between the 3. I'd go with the f4.0 non-IS. You might also consider the Tamron 28-75 f2.8, great reviews on photozone.com . I have it and am happy with it. You could get those 2 lenses for about 700.00. both quality lenses.
    www.tommybartleyphotography.com
    Canon 1D Marklll; Canon 60D; Tamron 28-75 f2.8; Canon 50 f1.4; Canon 70-200 f4.0; Canon 15-85 IS; Sigma 15 f2.8; Canon 580 ll flash; Canon 430 flash; Canon ST-E2 Transmitter; Various filters, bags and diffusers.
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2013
    I just picked up the 70-200 L/4 IS at an excellent price!!! I decided on the IS due to It will be used hand held at times and I can be shaky depending on the amount of coffee I have had. Not a Morning person!! Now just need to sell some of my old gear before I can up the quality of my general purpose lens.. What I am keeping... 70-200 F/4 IS for range (Wildlife and Action). Sigma 18-250 F3.5-6.3 for general purpose walk around (till I can replace). Canon 60mm 2.8 (micro and people pictures). Am I missing something that would be good to have? Wide angle to complete the package? Should I keep the 50mm since its inexpensive and comes highly recommended ?
  • Options
    jclgurujclguru Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    Deputydawg wrote: »
    I just picked up the 70-200 L/4 IS at an excellent price!!! I decided on the IS due to It will be used hand held at times and I can be shaky depending on the amount of coffee I have had. Not a Morning person!! Now just need to sell some of my old gear before I can up the quality of my general purpose lens.. What I am keeping... 70-200 F/4 IS for range (Wildlife and Action). Sigma 18-250 F3.5-6.3 for general purpose walk around (till I can replace). Canon 60mm 2.8 (micro and people pictures). Am I missing something that would be good to have? Wide angle to complete the package? Should I keep the 50mm since its inexpensive and comes highly recommended ?

If you get rid of the Sigma 150-500 and you are seriously interested in birds in flight, you're going to find out real quick the 70-200 won't cut it.

At a minimum, I recommend 400mm. I have no idea how heavy or how sharp the Sigma 150-500 is, but if you've sold it already, I'd get a used 400 5.6 (it's non-IS) for about $1000, if not lower.

Another option is the 100-400, some people whine about it not being sharp, but that's usually because they've never used one or don't know the proper technique. I think the used prices for those are @$1100.

Except for maybe one or two, everyone of my flight images were captured with either a 100-400, a 400 or a 600.

Check out my site. Most of my flight shots can be seen in my Florida section. If you have any more questions, just email me. Love to help.

Doug - http://www.thebirdphotographer.com/