Im about to sell the 10-22 what do i replace it with

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited December 1, 2005 in Cameras
I photograph a lot...maybe more than i care to admit therefore i cant see a long time left in my shutter. I do love the 1.6 crop factor as it makes my primes longer but the writting is on the wall for me with an EF-S lens.

When the shutter dies i will most likely grab a 1D/5D so i might as well prepare now re the lens.

I was thinking about something wide from sigma or Tamron but its got to be a prime...which one do i look at guys ?

or maybe a 2nd hand canon or just try for a good 17-40 L ?

Speed isnt a worry as it would be for landscapes. I just want sharp.

Gus

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I photograph a lot...maybe more than i care to admit therefore i cant see a long time left in my shutter. I do love the 1.6 crop factor as it makes my primes longer but the writting is on the wall for me with an EF-S lens.

When the shutter dies i will most likely grab a 1D/5D so i might as well prepare now re the lens.

I was thinking about something wide from sigma or Tamron but its got to be a prime...which one do i look at guys ?

Gus

Gus -

18mm Zeiss Distagon f/4. About $650 Yank. And, you'll have one of the finest wides availalbe good on any Canon body. Adapter from CameraQuest.

Or, the Olympus Zuiko 18 f/3.5. Really really good. About the same price. Also works on any Canon - with CameraQuest adapter. Smaller and more available than the Zeiss.

Some interesting reads for you:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/265734

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/239431/0#1971553
  • herionherion Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    10-22 Replacement
    Humungus wrote:

Gus
    Gus,

Are you absolutely positive about the prime? I faced the same dilemma with EF-S lenses and went with the Sigma 10-20. Tack sharp, low/no CA images every time. I don't know how you shoot, but with the Zeiss you lose AF.
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    herion wrote:
    I don't know how you shoot, but with the Zeiss you lose AF.
    Since Gus stated he'd use this for landscapes, I feel this would be less of an issue. I find manual focus very easy to use to set hyperfocal distance, which you'd probably like to do for landscapes anyhow.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    I'd keep what you have as long as it's working for you. You don't know when your shutter will die. There's no inflation with the lens prices to worry about...not such that buying later is so much worse than buying now.

If your shutter does die, it's not like you can sell the camera at that point. For the $300 it costs to get the shutter replaced, it'd still be worth doing.

If you decide to get rid of your 20D...then at _that_ time you can sell your lens and I bet you wouldn't get much less for the lens then than you will now.

And who knows....maybe the shutter will last longer. Maybe your finances will be such at the time that you'll fix your 20D rather than buy a $3,000 body. Or maybe the 20D's replacement will be out and be a more attractive option.

Who knows what the future will be. If you like the lens, keep it until you change bodies.

Lee
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    leebase wrote:
    I'd keep what you have as long as it's working for you. You don't know when your shutter will die. There's no inflation with the lens prices to worry about...not such that buying later is so much worse than buying now.

If your shutter does die, it's not like you can sell the camera at that point. For the $300 it costs to get the shutter replaced, it'd still be worth doing.

If you decide to get rid of your 20D...then at _that_ time you can sell your lens and I bet you wouldn't get much less for the lens then than you will now.

And who knows....maybe the shutter will last longer. Maybe your finances will be such at the time that you'll fix your 20D rather than buy a $3,000 body. Or maybe the 20D's replacement will be out and be a more attractive option.

Who knows what the future will be. If you like the lens, keep it until you change bodies.

Lee

Yeah, chicken little. Calm down.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 30, 2005
    Gus, aren't you the fella who ransacked the WEB for months comparing the 20D and the D70?? And now you're preparing to wander off into Full Frame Land?? You devil, you!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited November 30, 2005
    Andy the comparison of the Zeiss with the Sigma and Zuiko lenses was very interesting. But why did they compare three primes with Canon's 16-36 zoom?

Why not compare to Canon's 14mm L prime, or the Canon 20mm f2.8, or the Canon FD 17mm prime even??

I know, no easy FD to EOS adapter at cameraquest. Well, how about making one yourself:):
    http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/text-eos-to-fd-adapter.html

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Gus, aren't you the fella who ransacked the WEB for months comparing the 20D and the D70?? And now you're preparing to wander off into Full Frame Land?? You devil, you!!
    Yep that be him. Maybe the 1.3 frame land.
    edited November 30, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Yep that be him. Maybe the 1.3 frame land.

"Good choice!!" Tonto says to the Lone Ranger :):

• gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    keep it
    i am with the keep the lens crew-keep it and sell it with camera or separate at that time and sell that way.

the sigma 10-20 looks pretty good to me-i am thinking of getting one next month

re shutter rebuilds-at the camera clinic in melbourne they have little video on the counter showing sped up footage of one of their technicians doing a shutter rebuild/replace on a nikon film camera-it takes almost two days to do,and costs accordingly.

i only hope canon dslrs arent as complicated

i think that your gear lust has bitten you

how about an A3 printer instead? if you can start selling then might be able to upgrade and keep your 20d,and maybe have an IR conversion,or just keep it as a back up body,maybe with a differerent lens on it for quick changes.

Humungus wrote:

Gus
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
    edited November 30, 2005
    gtc wrote:
    i am with the keep the lens crew-keep it and sell it with camera or separate at that time and sell that way.

the sigma 10-20 looks pretty good to me-i am thinking of getting one next month

re shutter rebuilds-at the camera clinic in melbourne they have little video on the counter showing sped up footage of one of their technicians doing a shutter rebuild/replace on a nikon film camera-it takes almost two days to do,and costs accordingly.

i only hope canon dslrs arent as complicated

i think that your gear lust has bitten you

how about an A3 printer instead? if you can start selling then might be able to upgrade and keep your 20d,and maybe have an IR conversion,or just keep it as a back up body,maybe with a differerent lens on it for quick changes.
    G'day GT. I was told yesterday that the cost to replace the shutter was really not an option here. Better to buy another camera. My AE-1 is 21 years old but it never saw this type of use.

My prints are costing me $13 each at A4 & are just perfect in quality & i have done my sums to show that it will be better that i just send them off than buy a printer for the forseable future...thanks for your advice though thumb.gif

Lust hasnt got me mate i just dont like or use zooms ne_nau.gif i dont know why but i dont ever use them.
    edited November 30, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Gus -

18mm Zeiss Distagon f/4. About $650 Yank. And, you'll have one of the finest wides availalbe good on any Canon body. Adapter from CameraQuest.

Or, the Olympus Zuiko 18 f/3.5. Really really good. About the same price. Also works on any Canon - with CameraQuest adapter. Smaller and more available than the Zeiss.

Some interesting reads for you:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/265734

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/239431/0#1971553
    These 2 come up often over there mate ? No many about 'ver 'ere.

I just want sharp.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    These 2 come up often over there mate ? No many about 'ver 'ere.

I just want sharp.

Mate if you want sharp, then I will buy you one of these and ship it to you - you won't regret it. Just let me know. There's nothing sharper than these two lenses at this price range. My 2 bob's worth.
    edited November 30, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Mate if you want sharp, then I will buy you one of these and ship it to you - you won't regret it. Just let me know. There's nothing sharper than these two lenses at this price range. My 2 bob's worth.
    What the focus like on the 20D andy...no big worries ? Even for a box of rocks ?
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2005
    I did "discover" the Tokina 17mm f/3.5, and it does not seem to have been tested on an FF DSLR body yet. On a cropped sensor it "appears" to have a little softness in the corners, but when you mount it on a 35mm film body apparently it rocks all the way to the extreme corners and edges. So, the jury's still out in my opinion. But Andy's suggested Zukio and Zeiss optics are no doubt sharper; they're just 2-3 times more costly.

With all this talk of adapters, has nobody tried the Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 on an FF Canon yet? Apparently on the Kodak it was absolutely stellar in the corners as far as sharpness was concerned, but the Kodak's inherent sensor difficulties sort of masked that lesser-known fact.

At any rate, good luck in your endeavors. I for one don't think you should bother venturing into FF until a few generations into the 5D's new "series", but do what makes you happy!

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited December 1, 2005
    With all this talk of adapters, has nobody tried the Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 on an FF Canon yet?
    -Matt-
    Good point !! anyone tried it ?

From what i have read sigma EF14mm seems to be a good candidate also.