Options

First Time with the GH-3

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited April 8, 2013 in Wildlife
Hi Y'all,

Earlier this week I made my first run up to the rookery at the St Augustine's Alligator Farm's rookery. My initial plan was to put the 70-200 2.8 and 2.0 TC on my D800E and the 200-400 f/4 with the 1.4 TC on the D4. This plan quickly fell apart when I discovered that the 200-400 was non-functional (its currently en route to NikonLand for repairs).

Linda opted to do some shopping instead of going for the AM shoot at the farm. This left her Panasonic GH-3 and Panasonic 100-300 f/4-5.6 lens (200mm-600mm 35mm equivalent) free. So I decided to give it a try.

So the question is could the Panasonic combo ($1798 weighing 2.5 lbs) match up to the Nikon combo ($12,750 weighing 10.5 lbs)? The brief answer is no but was the Nikon combo 6 times better than the Panasonic combo? Let the pictures decide the question.

P1000365-XL.jpg

P1000393-XL.jpg

P1000418%20%28101%29-XL.jpg

P1000418%20%2891%29-XL.jpg

P1000418%20%2876%29-XL.jpg

P1000377-XL.jpg

What I Liked

Size and weight - Its way cool to be able to easily carry around a set-up giving me 200-600mm reach

Layout/ergonomics - Its a well thought out camera with the controls easy to reach w/o your eyes leaving the VF. It has 5 programmable function buttons leaving the user lots of options. The articulating monitor is something I wish my Nikons had.

AF - The AF is responsive and very accurate except under certain conditions.

IQ - The image quality is excellent. It holds highlights very well and its DR is good (not as good as the D4 and D800E). Color rendtion is pretty accurate. Noise was well handled.

What I didn't Like

AF Tracking - This is one area where the GH-3 got left iin the dust by the Nikons. I got lots of flight shots with the D800E but failed to get an acceptable BIF with the GH-3. Part of the problem had to be due to my ignorance of the camera but its AF tracking was not a strong point. Also when there was a twig or leaf in the foreground it woiuld usually AF on the obstruction. There is a "precise AF" option but that involves using the touch screen and moving the AF point. Again this was my first time with the camera so user failure is a possibility.

EVF - This is me but I hate EVFs and the GH-3 didn't change my mind.

Overall - MY first experience with a 4/3rds camera was positive. For static subjects it did an excellent job with less than prime glass attached. For times when I don't want to or can't haul my heavier gear around it would serve me well. I want to use it a few more times and with better glass before I decide on adding to my kit but so far I am impressed.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2013
    Very impressive! I want one for video. But, dang, those stills looked fantastic!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2013
    clap.gifclap.gif
    Welcome to the GH3club
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2013
    Harry, what an interesting thread. I think the photos look pretty darn good, and I'd love to have such light weight gear for traveling. If giving up BIF photos and also that slight edge in quality is the trade-off, I should think it would be worth it when you can't easily take your best and heaviest gear. Thanks for the lesson.

And what is that alligator or crocodile? I haven't seen one like that. Best, Pam
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2013
    Very impressive! I want one for video. But, dang, those stills looked fantastic!

Thanks, I was happy with the images the GH-3 produced.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    clap.gifclap.gif
    Welcome to the GH3club

I'm not in the club yet but its a safe bet that I will be soon.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2013
    PGM wrote: »
    Harry, what an interesting thread. I think the photos look pretty darn good, and I'd love to have such light weight gear for traveling. If giving up BIF photos and also that slight edge in quality is the trade-off, I should think it would be worth it when you can't easily take your best and heaviest gear. Thanks for the lesson.

And what is that alligator or crocodile? I haven't seen one like that. Best, Pam

I agree with you about the IQ of the images the Gh-3 is a real bargain. The albino alligator is a rarity and was brought in from Louisiana. It is rumored that looking upon one will bring you good fortune.
    Harry