New lens, thought?

Midknightc3Midknightc3 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited April 2, 2013 in People
I just picked up a 100mm L Macro both for Macro and for portraits. Here are my first attempts with it, thoughts? I also just picked up Silver Efex Pro2, and this is my first attempt at editing anything with it.
i-8spPWr5-X3.jpg

i-qgrmrc9-L.jpg

Thanks for your advice!
Clark
I recommend wearing trashcans on your heads to avoid any accidental exposure to knowledge - Dogbert

Comments

• DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2013
    Sounds like nice new toy, congratulations! As to the pics that you posted, the first is too small to see anything, and the second, well the only thing in focus is the edge of the glasses closest to her nose and the pores on her skin. I don't suppose that was what you were going for? As critical as focus is in portrait photography it is even more so when doing macro work.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Midknightc3Midknightc3 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2013
    I'm not sure why the first image is so small? It's supposed to be the same size as the second one but that's all I can get...ahh technology. I'll keep trying to get it larger, but I think if you click on it you should be taken to my smugmug with the larger view. I have the same thought on the second one, but somehow I still kinda like it? Then again it's my girl friend, so maybe thats why...Obviously it was supposed to be her eye in focus, but I missed that.

Thanks!
    Clark

EDIT...got it!
    I recommend wearing trashcans on your heads to avoid any accidental exposure to knowledge - Dogbert
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2013
    getting the eye(s) in focus, most of the time, is the only thing that matters in portrait stuff. It's doubly so in the kind of shot you are going for in the 2nd pic. Everything else can be OOF but if you miss the eye(s), it's a tosser.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Midknightc3Midknightc3 Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    Roger roger! Net time I have a moment off I shall be trying that again!

Thanks!
    Clark