Options

Beach Wedding

brycolbrycol Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited April 11, 2013 in Weddings
Help needed! I want to lighten the two people in the picture without losing the sharp contrast in the sea and the pebbles. Have tried using Photoshop adjustment levels which lightens the figures using 'lighten shadows' but loses some of the definition on the pebbles and sea. I also played with curves but again couldn't apply only to the two figures. Any suggestions greatly appreciated from a cold but sunny SE England.

Comments

• Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2013
    brycol wrote: »
    Help needed! I want to lighten the two people in the picture without losing the sharp contrast in the sea and the pebbles. Have tried using Photoshop adjustment levels which lightens the figures using 'lighten shadows' but loses some of the definition on the pebbles and sea. I also played with curves but again couldn't apply only to the two figures. Any suggestions greatly appreciated from a cold but sunny SE England.

I would use layer masks to make the adjustment to just the two people. Did you shoot it in raw or jpg? Raw would be an easy recovery, IMO, especially in LR. With a JPG, I think it wouldn't be as good in the end.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    brycolbrycol Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 2, 2013
    I would use layer masks to make the adjustment to just the two people. Did you shoot it in raw or jpg? Raw would be an easy recovery, IMO, especially in LR. With a JPG, I think it wouldn't be as good in the end.

It was shot in the raw but am fairly new to using photoshop. So far have experimented with using the magic wand to select the bare parts of the two people and then just lightening them. Excuse my ignorance but what do IMO and LR stand for? Many thanks for your interest.
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    Bush tool...
    I run into this type of issue all the time. Since it was shot in RAW, use the brush tool and set the exposure to +1.5 and the brightness to +.4. Don't forget to set feather, brush size, and flow. Then paint on some exposure to the dark areas...it's a wonderful tool and delivers great results.

Trial and error and soon enough you'll be an expert...

I usually do this in LR...so, not totally familiar with PS...but the tool set is the same or similar for both...so, it's there.

If you need assistance with settings let me know.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2013
    Yep, if it was shot in RAW, you can use the Lightroom brush tool to "expose" the couple.
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    daniel212daniel212 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2013
    Ed911 your advice is fantastic.
    Byrcol you need apply brush tool on dark area i think this can help to solve your problem..

Thank you for such nice post and also knowledgeable comments
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2013
    Opps! Sorry for the delay.
    LR= Lightroom
    IMO= in my opinion
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    ChrisLeeChrisLee Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2013
    easy fix in lightroom. Nice shot